PDA

View Full Version : Hot Toys for Christmas

Disney4us2
11-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Was just wondering what the HOT toys/ electronics are for this year. You know.... the must have item(s).

I got my DD as 3DS for Christmas. I saw there is a game for it called Skylanders Spyro Adventure. It comes with a portal that you put small figurines on and it interacts with the 3DS. It looked really cool. I checked it out at Toysrus and put it along with extra figures on their lay a way plan. DD loves the Spyro games and has some for the Wii and DS already, but this one was incredible.

They also make this game for the Wii and I think the Playstation.

This was a gotta have it for DD. Anyone else start their shopping yet?

I also checked it out on Ebay. There are plenty there, but a lot of people are buying the games and taking out the Spyro figurine. Really, what good is the game and portal if you don't have the figurines.

What are your gotta have it's?

Patricia
11-14-2011, 07:49 PM
My son works at EB Games (Gamespot in US) so, we have Skylanders and many of the figurines for Playstation. Seems to be a popular and fun game.

I have not started shopping at all.

Nothing. :blush:

I'm going to regret that.

Mickey'sGirl
11-15-2011, 09:39 AM
We don't have a ton of shopping to do, but we are well on our way. Santa is bringing an XBox and Kinect for DS13, and he is bringing the new Millenium Falcon LEGO set for DS7 (to go with last year's Death Star).

Game wise, my brother is getting DS7 the new Disneyland game for Kinect, and Halo for DS13. They have no idea, because they do not know about the XBox :secret:. I am wishing I lived closer to Patricia to see if she could help me out with the game purchases (we purchase on behalf of my brother who lives in England).

SBETigg
11-15-2011, 09:57 AM
It was so much more fun when the hot toys were not all video game type things. My kids are 20 and 18, and it's just not as much fun as when they had to have the right toys, like a Fisher Price Castle or Pirate Ship. I miss those days! They grow so fast.

AgentC
11-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Was just wondering what the HOT toys/ electronics are for this year. You know.... the must have item(s).

I got my DD as 3DS for Christmas. I saw there is a game for it called Skylanders Spyro Adventure. It comes with a portal that you put small figurines on and it interacts with the 3DS. It looked really cool. I checked it out at Toysrus and put it along with extra figures on their lay a way plan. DD loves the Spyro games and has some for the Wii and DS already, but this one was incredible.

My son just had his 6th birthday and I bought him Skylander's for the Wii. Both him and my husband absolutely love it and could play for hours. I think we are up to 12 or so figurines. Each figurine has special abilities and special missions.

Sherri- I am with on the video game thing. I am debating getting my son a 3DS because he has asked for a DS for two years in a row.

For other gifts my son wants LEGOs :), Trash Pack figures and various card sets- Club Penguin, Redaki, Mario.

My 3 year old is all about dolls. She loves the new Disney Animator dolls and the Lalaloopsy dolls.

dnickels
11-15-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm not exactly in tune with what's hot, but a friend of mine had this posted the other day. Just some ideas to consider for those who don't necessarily want to give a gift just because it's 'hot' (and probably foreign-made) or the typical gift card to a big box store.

It's time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper? Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates from your local American hair salon or barber?

Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement.

Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, American owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift certificates.

Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plonking down the Benjamines on a Chinese made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course.

There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.

How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy?

Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day.

My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running.

OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewelry, and pottery and beautiful wooden boxes.

Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at your hometown theatre.

Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.

Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of light, about fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.

You see, Christmas is no longer about draining American pockets so that China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about US, encouraging American small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when we care about other Americans, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine. THIS is the new American Christmas tradition.

Mickey'sGirl
11-15-2011, 10:44 AM
It was so much more fun when the hot toys were not all video game type things. My kids are 20 and 18, and it's just not as much fun as when they had to have the right toys, like a Fisher Price Castle or Pirate Ship. I miss those days! They grow so fast.Thank goodness LEGO is always awesome!

Disney4us2
11-15-2011, 11:09 AM
My son just had his 6th birthday and I bought him Skylander's for the Wii. Both him and my husband absolutely love it and could play for hours. I think we are up to 12 or so figurines. Each figurine has special abilities and special missions

Glad to know that they like it. I will probably get the one for the Wii for next Christmas. I bought 2 action packs and 2 figurines as well as the 3DS starter pack. Eleven figurines in total. She wants Cynder, but I have not seen tht one yet. She loves Spyro and actually played the game at Inoventions at Disneyland. That is where she found out about that game.

I am hoping all the figurines that I got for the 3DS will work with the Wii.

She already has 2 Spyro Wii games and 2 Spyro for her DSi.

I got her the uDraw for the Wii as well as the Epic Mickey Wii game. Those are the ones she doesn't know about.

BrerGnat
11-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Thank goodness LEGO is always awesome!

Amen!

My 7 year old son built a WORKING padlock with KEY 100% out of Legos last night. DH and I were floored. So, now, "Santa" is frantically trying to find some more advanced Lego kits out there. ;) I would LOVE DS to have the Mindstorms NXT 2.0 kit, but at $250, it's too steep for a Christmas present this year.

We are asking Grandma to get the boys the Drawsome tablet for the Wii. It seems to be a bit better than the Udraw and the games it comes with look like a lot of fun.

And, Santa is bringing us "grown ups" a pair of indoor RC helicopters. They are SO much fun and we now have a huge house with high ceilings that we can't wait to play in. It's really for the kids. RIght? ;)

Jeri
11-16-2011, 01:11 AM
BerGnat, Have you seen the Lego Architecture sets?
I have bought my son ( 14) a few of these, Falling Waters, Sears Tower. Some of the bigger ones would be too hard maybe, but the smaller ones your son might like.
I know it took my son a long time to build Falling Waters. They can be expensive but they are nice & include blue prints and cool info & facts about the buildings.

I would be getting the boys Legos, gift cards, and a few other toys for my 8 yr old. My daughter will be 11 months at Christmas so she will be easy. I have waited a long time to buy dolls & girl toys. We will also be getting her a few things her PT/OT suggested to help her with her development & motor skills. ( she has Downs Syndrome)