PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing an ECV

tltcats
11-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Disney is gouging those who need ECV's $70 a day. (I'm sorry to sound so negative, I am a Disney nut...see below.... but I just think that taking advantage of those who NEED wheelchairs/ECV's, whatever to enjoy the parks is really unethical.) SOOOOO, I'm trying to find out how/where/if/issues relating to purchasing an ECV. For more details - read below.

I know that most rent the ECV's either on a daily basis or longer from local companies or Disney. My mom has a fused hip/knee/ankle (cannot bend any of those joints) so while she can walk at home/around the house, extended walking is impossible, thus the need for the ECV. I've been buying and annual pass for the last 11 years and making multiple trips from IL to Mickey-land (known as "MAGICAL land/time" to my family and I. Although they're not quite as crazy as I, they've all seen the light and love visiting here. To make a long story short, i finally decided that I was spending too much time commuting and decided that I wanted to work and live closer to the Magic. We moved to Davenport, FL (just 10 miles from the Disney gate!). I'm now searching for a job and have already turned into the family Disney resort (free room and board!). My mom will be visiting regularly, so I'm thinking that rather than spending $500 or more a year to rent a scooter, over the long term it will make much more sense for her and dad to buy one and have me store it for her to use whenever she's here.

Itchy
11-13-2011, 05:30 PM
I would look locally for and ECV. If your parents are on medicare you may get them one for little or no cost. I have seen these commercials on TV.

It couldnt hurt. You could also look on the internet for information, but I would always deal with a local dealer as it would help reduce dealing with problems if any arose.

Hope this helps.:mickey:

Disney4us2
11-13-2011, 05:31 PM
I was able to get my own ECV when I got Medicare. They paid a large portion. My only out of pocket was $300.00. I had to have everything approved by my doctor and it took a couple of weeks between the doctor and the place where I got my scooter, but well worth it.

You might want to check some of the local rental places and see if you can pick up a pre owned scooter at a lower price.

Renfairwedding
11-13-2011, 05:51 PM
I called the Scooter Store and with their help I had my Electeric Wheel Chair paid by my insurance company. I have ramps for my van and bring it everywere.

tltcats
11-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Thank you so much for the replies. I didn't even think about Medicare (WOW - THANKS!!!!!! that could save a ton of money and they're on a fixed income so it matters....BIG TIME!)

My mom is not wheel-chair bound (and we thank God for that daily!) She was hit by a drunk driver when she was 16 and it forced her leg through (yes THROUGH) the floor of the car. She cannot ben her knee or ankle (her leg is stiff) and had to have hip replacement. Consequently, she can walk, but not for long distances. Has anyone had any expereience with medicare and scooters where they will pay (or even partially pay) for a need that's not 100% of the time? They are on medicare.

Thanks for everyone's help. I really appreciate it.

Disney4us2
11-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Thank you so much for the replies. I didn't even think about Medicare (WOW - THANKS!!!!!! that could save a ton of money and they're on a fixed income so it matters....BIG TIME!)

My mom is not wheel-chair bound (and we thank God for that daily!) She was hit by a drunk driver when she was 16 and it forced her leg through (yes THROUGH) the floor of the car. She cannot ben her knee or ankle (her leg is stiff) and had to have hip replacement. Consequently, she can walk, but not for long distances. Has anyone had any expereience with medicare and scooters where they will pay (or even partially pay) for a need that's not 100% of the time? They are on medicare.

Thanks for everyone's help. I really appreciate it.

I don't use my scooter except for long distances, like going to the mall etc. I use it all the time though at Disneyland.

I didn't have any trouble getting it through Medicare. It just took a little back and forth with the medical supply company and the doctors. They wanted me to have an eval with a physical therapist, but it went though without that. My only out of pocket was $300.00. Medicare will also pay for routine maintainence on the scooter. With my maintainence, I got new wheels, new battery and charger.

Hope this helps.

dnickels
11-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Keep in mind that Medicare has limits on how often they'll buy a wheelchair. I have a friend who is an occupational therapist and she says the 'get a power scooter at little or no cost to you' companies drive her crazy because a person on Medicare gets a power chair, then they can't get a new wheelchair for another 5 years (I think that's the number she said). So if their health condition changes and they need a different type of chair, they have to pay out of pocket. Might be something to check on or keep in mind if there's a chance your mom is going to be needing a wheelchair at her home in the next 5 years. If she's already received the 'Florida' scooter, they won't buy her another one to use up in Illinois.

ElenitaB
11-13-2011, 09:35 PM
If you decide not to go the Medicare route, I recently got an email from one of the local Orlando rental companies that they were selling some of their inventory.

BTW, I bought my ECV on eBay after having researched it thoroughly. There were several available for purchase (for pick up) in south Florida. Good luck!

tltcats
11-15-2011, 05:30 AM
Intercot comes through again. I cannot thank you all enough. THis is new territory for me and you've helped me make a fantastic "check on this" list. I'll let you know of the outcome...of course I'll still be checking back if there's any other thoughts posted too!

PETE FROM NYC
11-16-2011, 06:01 PM
DW has had both knees replaced.
She is on her second ECV. The first one was paid for totally by my insurance from my job. The insurance also paid for any and all repairs that were necessary.
Now, since I went out on disability, my insurance became our secondary, and Medicare became our primary.
After 4-5 years her ECV got old and tired, time for a replacement. She got a new prescription and was able to get a new one.I don't recall which one paid for it , but still we had no out of pocket.
Be sure to tell them she needs it for shopping and travelling through her neighborhhood, or they may want to give her an electric wheelchair instead.
Now, your next problem will be transporting the ECV. Some small models come apart easily to fit in the trunk. Both of DWs are large units that required me to have a lift installed in the back of my Ford Expedition. And the lift for the first ECV would not work with the new one. The first lift cost me $2500, the second one was $3300. Expensive? Yes, but worth every penny. In the beginning, I was able to put it in the car myself with just brute strength, until my knees went south, then we had to get the lift.
I hope this information helps.