PDA

View Full Version : Room Rates Out of Control?

MouseHouser
11-11-2011, 05:49 PM
"Domestic hotel reservations this quarter are in line with a year ago, while rates are up in the low single digits, Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo said on a call."

I cheer Disney financial success, because if the company were to fall on hard times and the quality were to drop, for me, the Disney magic goes poof. I buy-in to the "happiest place on earth" notion. Hard to believe the service continues to shine this many years since Walt's passing.

Disney has never been cheap, but we always managed to make the trip happen over the years. Just please, keep up the good work, Disney.

How do you feel?

vicster
11-11-2011, 07:32 PM
We go every year - no other vacation compares. Worth every penny!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
11-11-2011, 08:31 PM
While we choose not to afford Disney vacations every year, we do get to go every 3 to 5 years and tend to tie them in with special occasions. It is an great almost all inclusive vacation opportunity that not much else can touch.

Tigerinvestigator
11-14-2011, 03:51 PM
I work three jobs all year long just to take my family......and it is worth every single day I have to work!:thumbsup:

DizneyRox
11-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah, they are insane! We're looking at a cruise next summer and I priced out a few nights at AKL to see what's doing. I was met with $415 a night quote for a Savannah View room. Add to that food and ticket prices and staying on the boat longer ends up to be cheaper.

That's out of control! Granted, it's not a discounted rate, at all, no AP, no DVC, but it's also no "free" dining, etc.

Katzateer
11-14-2011, 10:27 PM
I try to just look at value rates for rooms and limit our expenses to make this an annual trip for us. It is worth every penny - a highlight for us. It would be nice to stay at some of the other resorts but we wouldn't be able to go every year if we spent so much on rooms.

azcavalier
11-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Yeah, they are insane! We're looking at a cruise next summer and I priced out a few nights at AKL to see what's doing. I was met with $415 a night quote for a Savannah View room. Add to that food and ticket prices and staying on the boat longer ends up to be cheaper.

That's out of control! Granted, it's not a discounted rate, at all, no AP, no DVC, but it's also no "free" dining, etc.

Yeah, but it's not like you got that quote for a standard view room at a moderate. I mean, if you're simply pricing out "going to WDW" versus another vacation, you can have a great experience without trying to book the top-of-the-line hotel rooms, and save a lot of money, too!

DizneyRox
11-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Yes and no... My accomodations on a cruise ship are outside balcony staterooms (usually higher up on the ship), which I wouldn't have trouble equating to a deluxe hotel at Disney. I almost choked when I saw the quote for a 1BR villa!

If I were just wanting to go on a cruise, I might look at lower deck inside staterooms.

BrerGnat
11-15-2011, 12:25 PM
The price of WDW hotels has always been "out of control."

However, regardless of what the Mouse says, there are still MANY discounts available for almost the entire calendar year. I've been visiting regularly for about the past 12 years, and I've never paid rack rate, and have not gotten less than a 40% discount since then either.

Until the discounts stop completely, I'll have no complaints about the cost of WDW lodging, because at the discounts I've gotten, it's quite reasonable.

Mitzie
11-15-2011, 02:08 PM
How timely..DH and I were just at AKL the end of Oct. and if I said it once I said it 20 times..Disney World is worth every penny. From the moment we pulled into Disney property on ME I had a smile on my face that I think was even there in the middle of the night!! The whole place just gives me the warm fuzzies.

minnie04
11-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Well we certainly don’t go as much as we used too. I don’t mind paying the hotels price ( we have out grown the on property resorts, so now we book 2 or 3 bedroom resorts with kitchens that makes a big difference). It’s the ticket prices for the parks that kill me. We are a family of 5 and that can really break the bank if we want to go to more than one park during our visit, yes!! There are discount tickets, but when you multiply them by 5 it’s really a lot. Now when you look at a 7 day cruise with everything included it does make more sense, but IT’S NOT DISNEY!!!:mickey: And that’s where we really like to go. So in a nut shell we make it work somehow some way ...

P.S. when we did stay on property (before my last son) we never paid full price...And we loved it, it was worth every penny!!

disneydementia
11-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Mind you I usually stay at the economy resorts, have only done the four night cruise, but when it comes to anything Disney, my reply to the cost quote is "Thats not bad!":thumbsup:

LVT
11-15-2011, 05:10 PM
The discounts do matter. We paid $95 at a motel 8 and the discounts for a Value have been at that level or less for the last 5 trips.

MouseHouser
11-16-2011, 01:01 PM
"How timely..DH and I were just at AKL the end of Oct. and if I said it once I said it 20 times..Disney World is worth every penny. From the moment we pulled into Disney property on ME I had a smile on my face that I think was even there in the middle of the night!! The whole place just gives me the warm fuzzies."

Mitzie, we're so on the same page. How nice you have mixed twins. So does my DS, her only 2 kids. They are her "raison d'etre."

Thank you people for all the responses. Strange how some peeps (mostly on other sites) don't see it our way. Oh, the humanity!...I mean, ignorance! ;-) See you at Disney World!

LauraByTheSea
11-16-2011, 08:39 PM
As a hotel revenue manager of 5 hotels in a Florida destination, 2 major brands, one of them a resort, I can with definite experience say yes, they are SO out of control. But, they can get it. That's kind of the way it's done, if you can get it, get it. And, although I still can't believe it, I paid it this past weekend! This is for the deluxe resorts, maybe not so much for the others... After my stay this weekend, I can say that you are paying for the Disney name for sure, to be able to say you stayed at the Poly or the Comtemporary, that you were "on the monorail", etc... The resorts were not $500 per night resorts for sure, but again, you're paying for the name... BTW, we really did have a great stay, and would probably do it again, but would wait until we could get a deal!

Cinderelley
11-17-2011, 03:36 AM
I have to agree with DisneyRox. For the money, a cruise is a much better deal. But I am just as willing to pay to take the family to WDW as I am a cruise. They are just two different kinds of fun.

NH Disneyfan
11-17-2011, 05:46 AM
I bought DVC a couple years back for this exact reason - hotel prices will rise and I want to keep going. My average per night stay at a 1BR villa is less than half of the prices quoted in this post - worth every penny. The various discounts we can currently get from DVC also help a great deal. If you go frequently, DVC may really be for you!

lighteningqueen
11-21-2011, 03:33 AM
I don't get DVC you pay on the thing every month and then a maintenace fee or something. Like 2-500.00 per month and then you say you can stay at a deluxe for half of that. Well no not really you pay every month, times 12 months and say you don't go one year that's a ton of money.. This is what the salesman said to us. So how is that cheap until you pay the program off. Just don't get it. Or maybe I shouldn't. I think it's for the well off, or people who don't have to worry about daily living and can well afford it. That's great for them. But I am just as happy with POP and all the Disney Icons they have. It feels like Disney. Not Africa, or Hawaii or a Southern Manor. I am every bit as happy. We got one night in Jan at 65.00 didn't even ask then the next 7 nights for $82.00 a night so I am feeling good and its all paid for, just waiting for the DME tags and the flight on the way.. 59 days!!!! NOT even charged on a credit card. so happy about that..

TheMartellFamily
11-21-2011, 09:22 AM
For our family we enjoy the value resorts. Paying under $100 to stay there on vacation is very affordable. With that being said we may visit other cities and need to stay in a hotel and pay more than $100 with no extras. We do not stay at more expensive resorts because the important part is we decided we just need a location to sleep. Everyone has their needs.

faline
11-21-2011, 09:50 AM
I don't get DVC you pay on the thing every month and then a maintenace fee or something. Like 2-500.00 per month and then you say you can stay at a deluxe for half of that. Well no not really you pay every month, times 12 months and say you don't go one year that's a ton of money.. This is what the salesman said to us. So how is that cheap until you pay the program off.

Everyone who makes the decision to buy into the Disney Vacation Club does need to look at it critically to see if it, in fact, meets their needs. We made the decision to buy several years ago, but for the reasons you note, determined we would not finance our purchase. We started saving with this goal in mind and purchased our points in 2010. I don't consider us "well off" but, for us, as we look into the future, hope for retirement (and the reduced /fixed income that comes with that), it became a way for us to "pre-pay" for future vacations so, for us, it made sense.

BrerGnat
11-21-2011, 12:42 PM
DVC is definitely not for everyone. It isn't for us. We'd never come out ahead by purchasing into DVC. My biggest issue with it is the "savings" Disney claims you get. It's all a marketing ploy. You don't save anything, especially since there are always discounts.

The only people who really score with DVC were the first time purchasers at Old Key West, and people who get a steal on the resale market.

This sort of thing always has a "house" advantage. It's like Vegas. If this wasn't a HUGE profit maker for Disney, they wouldn't be putting one up on every corner, practically. The house, or in this case, the "Mouse" always wins.

We do much better with discounts and the ability to stay at Shades of Green, if necessary.

lindique
11-21-2011, 07:06 PM
I took the tour a few years ago, and decided that it wasn't for me. After doing the math, I believe the people who would benefit the most are those who usually stay at the deluxe resorts. For the others, the yearly "dues" alone (without considering the buy-in price) would pay for a week per year at a value, and for a discounted week at a moderate.

In addition, I don't like the idea of not having daily mousekeeping service. I'm far from being a slob, but I consider daily clean towels and the bed being made for me as part of "being on vacation".

Dopey's Girl
11-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Do I think you could find cheaper vacations? Yep. Better value for my vacation dollar? Nope! I have paid far more for rooms in Wisconsin Dells, even with discounts. Sure prices are high, and do go up, but for the pure joy I feel inside those purple gates, it's worth every cent!

Stickey
11-22-2011, 12:46 PM
The non-discounted rates for deluxes are too high. However, a discount of 30-40% makes them reasonable. Traveling in value, or regular season is essential.

Overall, a WDW trip is a good value compared to other vacation options. Highly themed resorts, 4 great parks, characters, and varied dining options provide many excellent vacation experiences. Not being quarantined, or attacked by real pirates...priceless!

Airblue1
11-22-2011, 01:58 PM
I go back and forth with DVC. I see the benefits life long pd vacations. However I see several draw backs from it, such as putting a lot of time into PTS systems and figuring out what the best Value is for your PTS. Similar to what we do now with a little more latitude.
We stay at resorts closests to parks to save as much time as possible. As far as pricing I guess it can be a little high at times, hotels are pricey everywhere. But what makes Disney great is you can fit your budget into three catagories and everyone gets the same shot at all the fun.
That's part of the magic!