PDA

View Full Version : Saying Goodbye

DVC2004
11-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Well, I just got some very sad news. My cat who is 15, and I have had since he was a small kitten, just came back from the vet and has been diagnosed with severe kidney failure. He lost a lot of weight and became dehydrated. The vet basically told us she could do a treatment that may give him a few months, but she feels that would not be best for him. She gave him some fluids and we'll have him a few more days to say goodbye. I knew this day was coming but I didn't expect it still. Going to be very hard...I have had him longer than I have had children. I don't think I will ever get over this. :(

Janmac
11-10-2011, 06:04 PM
That is very sad. One of my very favorite cats, Tilly, finally quit at age 18. She was not looking so good then either. She'd had a very good life, and even had been a foster mother to another cat's litter, born a few weeks after hers. She was a heckuva cat. She just appeared in our yard one night, when she was still small enough to fit in my hand (and I have a small hand).

But, looking back, tho I still think of Tilly a lot, I can not for the life of me remember how long we've been without her. It's been probably 12 or 15 years. We've had some great cats since then, but none as long lived as Tilly. She was special.

It's sad. It'll get better. And you'll still have the memories.

Jan

MNNHFLTX
11-10-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm so sorry for what you're going through. We had a 20-year-old that suffered from kidney failure at the end. I gave him subcutaneous fluids at home for 3 months to give him a better quality of life but we were just buying time. I know it's been said a thousand times before, but letting them go when they are no longer enjoying life is the hardest and most loving thing we do as pet owners. My heart hurts for you. :(

faline
11-10-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm so sorry.

kakn7294
11-10-2011, 06:50 PM
It's a difficult thing. A few years ago we lost both of our cats within 6 weeks of each other. It was a terrible time and we thought we'd never get over it. Time has diminished our pain but not the memories.

BrowncatP
11-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Right now I have 3 healthy cats. Previously my husband and I had 4 cats. One of them succumbed to kidney failure. My heart goes out to you. They are to us "little people with paws!":paw:

DisneyMom12
11-10-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm so sorry. My Gizmo is 11, and I've had him since he was 3 weeks. He is one of my babies.

Ed
11-10-2011, 09:44 PM
In September we lost the amazing canine who graciously allowed us into his life for 13 years. :dog:

We've been through that agony before, but this one hit us particularly hard. His health had been deteriorating over the last year, with heart and liver disease, and we could no longer justify prolonging his pain. Our wonderful vet concurred, and painlessly and respectfully helped Lucky make the journey to the Rainbow Bridge.

It was decidedly the hardest decision we've made in years, but in our hearts we know we did the right thing for our pal.

I know exactly how you're feeling right now; despite it all, you will get over it with the help of all the good memories of your long time with your cat.

:pixie: to you and your family.

c&d
11-11-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm so sorry. We lost our cat of 17 years about a year ago. I was so thankful that the vet allowed us to take her home to say goodbye before we brought her back. It made it a little easier but it still hurt.

TinkerbellT421
11-11-2011, 11:48 AM
I am so sorry :(

AgentC
11-11-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm so sorry. We lost our 16 year old dog last month. She was our first baby and my husband and I had her for 10 years before we had children, so I understand where you are.

She had been steadily getting worse over the last 3 months but it was still one of the hardest decisions I had even had to make and even though I knew it was the right one, I still doubted myself for many days after.

So thought I know it doesn't help now, it will get better.

Kathy Jetson
11-12-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm so sorry. I lost a very special cat to the same thing so I know what you are going through:grouphug:

CanadianWDWFan
11-12-2011, 04:29 PM
As much as we love and care for our pets, letting them go is one of the hardest things to do. We lost our dog of 12 years last May, I can still hear him walking around the house. It brings a tear to my eye but more importantly a smile to my face.

You have had your cat for 13 wonderful years and I am sure have lots of memories. You will get over this but will never forget the wonderful times you had together.

garymacd
11-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Letting go of pets is one of the hardest things we have ever done, even when we knew it was best for them. I think it is hard because they don't understand what is happening to them.

I vowed I would never have another dog after we had to put down our beloved Cavalier Spaniel, Satchie. But, here I sit with two adorable Cavaliers sitting on my lap as I type this.

It is hard to get over, but once you do, I think it makes you a stronger person. Someone who has truly loved once can and usually will love again.

Dsnygirl
11-15-2011, 02:43 AM
I am so sorry... we have had to put two of our cats down, one at 13 (cancer) and one at 16 (diabetes). Both were SO hard, and I don't think we ever thought we would get over it. Both cats were pre-kids, and came to us as baby-babies. :(

But -- we now have been adopted by two more wonderful cat-children -- and we love them as fully as we loved our other two, and the best part is that we have the memories of the first two, as well, and the lessons learned with them to guide us.

These next few days will be so hard -- but you can and will get through it -- with tears, but also with the knowledge that you have given this little creature the best life possible, and now are giving the best end possible by not prolonging his suffering. I know how hard it will be -- but the memories and the knowledge that it is for the best will get you through.

Sending hugs your way... :hug:

Mickey'sGirl
11-15-2011, 08:44 AM
I am so sorry.

DVC2004
11-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words and for keeping us in your thoughts. We lost him on Saturday. We did euthanize him because we didn't want him to continue to suffer. I didn't think I would go in but I did, and I was there with him until the end. My husband and I just held eachother and cried. We miss him so much. It was probably the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life this far, but I know it was the right thing. We will never forget him.:(

Disney4us2
11-16-2011, 03:06 PM
So sorry for your loss.

brivers222
11-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words and for keeping us in your thoughts. We lost him on Saturday. We did euthanize him because we didn't want him to continue to suffer. I didn't think I would go in but I did, and I was there with him until the end. My husband and I just held eachother and cried. We miss him so much. It was probably the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life this far, but I know it was the right thing. We will never forget him.:(

Reading this is reliving a year ago the day after thanksgiving when we had to put my grandpa's 17 year old cat to sleep. My grandpa passed him over to me in 2007 when he could no longer take car of him at 99 years old... When i first got Corky i was going through a divorce so he was my companion lol... I grew to love him and everything was fine up until we came back from our Engagement trip last year... he started to lose weight at astronomical amounts and stopped eating/drinking and bladder control was lost. took him to the vet and then kept trying to have me force these pills and syringes and other things down his throat... it was tramatic not only for him, but for myself as well. Finally after a really long talk with my fiance we felt it was in the best interest of everyone to have him put to sleep the day after thanksgiving... the hardest decision I have had to make to date :(

Now in 2008 i did get a kitten which seemed to perk corky up in his old age. Our cat, Octavius 'GusGus", is helping cope with the loss...it would have been a lot worse if he wasn't here... i guess what I am saying is, as hard it is to let go, maybe a new kitten is in your future :secret:

DVC2004
11-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Now in 2008 i did get a kitten which seemed to perk corky up in his old age. Our cat, Octavius 'GusGus", is helping cope with the loss...it would have been a lot worse if he wasn't here... i guess what I am saying is, as hard it is to let go, maybe a new kitten is in your future :secret:

Thank you for sharing your story. I would love another kitten... My husband and I are at odds on this a little. He thinks it's too soon. We do have another cat, and she is a sweetie but usually only hangs out with our youngest son. She almost never had anything to do with the rest of us. But she came downstairs the morning after our Sam left us, and she was looking all over for him. It was so sad! But since, then she is warmer to all of us and coming to sit in our laps which she never did before. I know she knows that he is gone, and I think she can sense our sadness. We're all sad I guess!

IloveDisney71
11-23-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. We had a wonderful cat that we swear acted more like a dog than a cat. :D She got breast cancer of all things and we had to make a the tough decision to put her to sleep when it was obvious she was in too much pain. :( Our vet sent us a poem called "The Rainbow Bridge". It's a wonderful poem that you can google. We didn't wait very long before we added two more cats to our home, then a dog, and then two more cats just recently. I have two of the cats in my chair with me right now. :blush: They add so much joy to our lives but it hurts so much when you have to let them go. It's sweet that your other cat is spending more time with you. I think animals can sense when people are sad or sick.

Wolf
11-30-2011, 10:27 AM
I lost my 12 year old Weimeraner earlier this year to congestive heart failure. I won't lie to you it was one of the most painful thing I've ever gone through, when your kitty leaves you be with him/her. It will hurt more than you can imagine but in my opinion, being there with Bullet, holding his paw and telling him I loved him again was the only option. The vet even tried to shoo me away and I told her I wasn't letting him be cold, scared and alone when he left me. It hurt to see him go but if I hadn't been there I never would have forgave myself. I am hurting for you so badly knowing your have to go thru this. But just remember he/she wont be in any more pain. *hughughug*

brivers222
11-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Thank you for sharing your story. I would love another kitten... My husband and I are at odds on this a little. He thinks it's too soon. We do have another cat, and she is a sweetie but usually only hangs out with our youngest son. She almost never had anything to do with the rest of us. But she came downstairs the morning after our Sam left us, and she was looking all over for him. It was so sad! But since, then she is warmer to all of us and coming to sit in our laps which she never did before. I know she knows that he is gone, and I think she can sense our sadness. We're all sad I guess!
Its now been officially a year since Corky left us.... we were talking about him and Accidentally said his name out loud.... Gus ran over to us and started looking around, chirping at first and then an almost moan. That was the saddest thing I have ever seen... I wasn't sure after a year (and him being only 2 when corky was put to sleep) that he would remember. But he did :(

Hull-onian
12-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Sorry for the loss of your pet.....I don't think we ever get over their passing....we kept some of Valentino's toys, we have photos of him, and I know you have the same...I hope that memories of Sam comfort you....:angel:

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-02-2011, 08:06 AM
We lost our sweet boy, a Daschund named Oscar last month. We were heartbroken and it still hurts but we try to remember all our happy times with him and it makes it a little easier.

scooterca42
12-09-2011, 04:29 PM
It took a year for us to recover when we lost Murphy - he had been a rescue, we met him in the cat room at the Humane Society and he just reached out and tapped me on my arm as we passed. We still think of him. But a year later our vet called us and told us about another rescue, a kitten that had been saved from the side of a road. Ember has been with us for almost eight years now.
I have to say I dread the day we say goodbye.
It does get better, but I have a pretty good idea how you feel!

jillluvsdisney
12-11-2011, 11:22 AM
My sympathy to you. I was devistated when I had to put my Fluff down. She was my best girl for 16 years.