PDA

View Full Version : January Themes

lighteningqueen
11-09-2011, 07:31 PM
We are going in Jan 20-29 and have never been that time of year. I really am worried about the weather but also what is going on it the parks as far as decor or theme that time of year.Is it just Disneyworld and or is there hearts or something getting ready for valentines. Will it lack fun in decor. We always go in Dec but son in laws hunting trip is so much more important. LOL

faline
11-09-2011, 07:37 PM
No real decorations at that time of year. Weather can be variable and can range from cold to warm to anything in between. Crowds, however, should be low.

lighteningqueen
11-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks.. I just hope its not depressing and cold and we cannot do anything. I hate cold and I hate hot so was thinking this could be 70's and wear shorts so hoping so. Thanks so much

faline
11-09-2011, 07:46 PM
We've had weather in the 60s and 70s in January but you could also have weather that's much colder. Mostly, it's been jeans and sweatshirts and generally comfortable.

lighteningqueen
11-09-2011, 07:49 PM
ok but I still am taking my shorts. LOL and flip flops.. Ya never know. Thanks

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
11-09-2011, 08:09 PM
My wonderful husband and I visited during that period of January in 2009. I get cold faster than he does. He had a couple of days where he wished he had packed shorts and I had to purchase a short sleeved shirt. Otherwise, it was PERFECT. No rain, wonderful slight breeze and in the high 60s the entire time.

Nope, no decorations, but the spirit of Disney was in abundance and the crowds were low. At no time did we truly miss the Christmas decorations that we were surrounded by during our previous 2 December visits.

lighteningqueen
11-09-2011, 08:15 PM
OK I will hope for the mid 70"s high 60's. I can do shorts then for sure. So I won't miss the decor,but I will miss Osborne Lights and Christmas Music. Next time I am hoping for fall and pumpkin decor or Nov for early Christmas Decor. I saw where they put up the Christmas decorations today. I thought they waited until the day after Thanksgiving ???

Strmchsr
11-09-2011, 08:32 PM
No, they start putting up Christmas decorations Nov 1 to have them ready in time for the first MVMCP, which is usually around Nov 10. The Osborne Light and MVMCP used to start after Thanksgiving 6 or 7 years ago, but not recently.

As for January crowds, American crowds are really low. The only thing that impacts the parks are the South American groups. They can cause quite an impact if you're near one, but if you see a group of flags just go another direction and it won't be a big deal.

January weather, as mentioned, is highly variable. No need to pack everything. Just check the forecast thread starting about 2 weeks out and you'll know what to expect. In the meantime, you can look at the historic weather conditions in Info Central to see the exact weather for your dates over the last few years. That will give you the best idea of what to expect.

lighteningqueen
11-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Great Info... So what you are telling me is there is no need to talk my Texan they won't understand me?? Mostly all foreigners. AND Brazillion Tour Groups.. How FUN!!!!

Strmchsr
11-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Great Info... So what you are telling me is there is no need to talk my Texan they won't understand me?? Mostly all foreigners. AND Brazillion Tour Groups.. How FUN!!!!

lol, pretty much. If it was all Spanish you might feel at home, but it's mostly Portuguese so it might throw you off a little. :D

lighteningqueen
11-09-2011, 09:01 PM
ok being pure white and I mean pure not a tanner here. I might even have trouble with spanish even though we are surrounded in Hispanics and I lived in new Mexico for most of my life. Oh well. No need to talk Just ENJOY no matter what. Does it usually rain in jan?

Strmchsr
11-10-2011, 08:27 AM
Does it usually rain in jan?

In general, over a 7 day vacation the odds are you will deal with a rain threat 1 day. It's not usually a heavy rain month, though.

TinkerbellT421
11-10-2011, 10:14 AM
DBF and I being from New England, any temperaute anywhere in Florida will be better than at home. Last year we arrived when it was -3 at home....and it was 65 when we landed in Florida lol. So we have thicker blood than the locals in Florida because the second it hits 60 they whip out gloves and scarves! lol

But as far as weather, like Faline suggested, pretty much prepare for Jeans/Sweatshirts weather, and a few tshirts and shorts....We are in the hot tubs everynight wearing bathing suits on the way down so its not too cold. And trust me as DBF describes me, I would be could on the equater during an indian summer....lol

Most of the time its extremely comfortable, if it gets a little chilly out or windy a sweatshirt makes the weather perfect. And in our last five years we have been during January we had one down pour day which was this past January. The only time before that was our first trip together there was a five minute downpour and then it was as sunny as you could picture out. :thumbsup:

Janmac
11-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Sorry, Chris, in 2010 we had checked the weather - many times - and we still had some weather surprises. Actually, that's what I like most about weather. :D The biggest surprise was probably not the Florida weather but across northern Arkansas the day before we were to leave WDW. Wound up going home through Texas and Oklahoma to miss all the snow and ice.

One morning waiting for our ADR at Akershus we were quite chilly with temps in the 40s. The next afternoon at MK we left earlier than we had planned because we were just too warm.

We always do pack a little of everything when we go to WDW in winter.

As for decorations, my niece decorated her daughter's stroller with an iridescent snow flake garland and possibly some red and white ribbons - forecasting Valentines. She got many compliments from guests and CMs.

January is one of our favorite times to visit.

Jan

DisneyDadfromPittsburgh
11-11-2011, 02:20 PM
We visited Disney one year in January. It was MLK weekend. One day it was 85 and the next it barely hit 62. Except either.