PDA

View Full Version : Paterno Fired?

Scar
11-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Rumors are starting to circulate that he is out. Not good enough. He and anyone else who knew and didn't report it to the police should be arrested. :mad:

Ian
11-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Listen, I don't pretend to know all the details but from what I've heard thus far I tend to agree with you.

I can't rationalize Paterno's response here. If that was me, you'd have had to pry me off of Sandusky to prevent me from choking the life out of him (figuratively speaking).

At a minimum, I can't fathom not immediately calling the police. I don't see any way JoePa can survive this. Nor should he.

Goofy4TheWorld
11-08-2011, 03:34 PM
What I have read today, details of which Intercot's TOS do not allow repeating, left me speechless. If Joe really was told what the Graduate Assistant claims he told Joe, then tar and feathering would be appropriate.

I believe Joe released a statement claiming to have not been told the details the GA claims to have relayed, but I don't think he will survive it either way.

Ian
11-08-2011, 03:47 PM
If Joe really was told what the Graduate Assistant claims he told Joe, then tar and feathering would be appropriate.Or too kind, depending on who you ask.

wildernesslady
11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
What a sad day for all the families involved. There is no excuse for this behavior or covering it up. I hope all involved will be let go. My youngest just graduated from PSU this year and is heartbroken.

disney obsessed
11-08-2011, 07:09 PM
I never thought I would see the day that I would be embarrassed to be a Penn State Alumni.:(

wildernesslady
11-08-2011, 08:56 PM
I never thought I would see the day that I would be embarrassed to be a Penn State Alumni.:(

Don't be embarassed. You are still part of a great legacy. Let's hope that all involved are let go and charged for whatever their involvement may have been.

Hair_Razor
11-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Sick and sad! And tar and feathering not enough.

disney obsessed
11-09-2011, 09:49 AM
I cannot help but feel that way. Anyone who goes to Penn State, or lives in the area ( I grew up there too), knows that Penn State Football is like a religion. It is a way of life, a lifestyle choice, a part of my soul. It helped shape who I am. I feel that I have been dissapointed by a parent. I cannot help it. I guess this is how my grief will play out.

It is a lot like my obsession with Disney World. To me, Joe Paterno is like Walt Disney. The creator of the fantasyland that is Happy Valley.

I am very sad and disappointed that I will now associate something so horriffic with something so wonderful.

Melanie
11-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Just got an ESPN ScoreCenter alert that Paterno is retiring, effective the end of the season.

princessgirls
11-09-2011, 10:06 AM
The whole thing is beyond....

Paterno won't get fired, I do believe he will resign on his own at the end of the season. Not really the way he wanted to leave...
He did report what he knew back in 2002. Penn State higher ups are at fault here.

So sad maddening, working in the field I do to hear that "At Risk Youths" were so horribly abused by someone they trusted. It is sick. These kids had enough on their plates without being sexually abused.
I hope and pray that justice is served, and this monster will never hurt another child again.
Penn State or not, this can not be tolerated!!
Julie

Scar
11-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Just got an ESPN ScoreCenter alert that Paterno is retiring, effective the end of the season.

Oh, that's nice of him. :rolleyes:

princessgirls
11-09-2011, 10:16 AM

I just saw your post Melanie... It was how I suspected.

Julie

Scar
11-09-2011, 10:16 AM
He did report what he knew back in 2002. Penn State higher ups are at fault here.My understanding is that in PA, yes, he did not have to report to the cops. But I just heard a prosecutor from NY say that there, and many other states, he would have to report to police (or some other official agency.) How that's not a law in all states is beyond me.

MizMissy
11-09-2011, 10:32 AM
The whole thing is beyond....

PHe did report what he knew back in 2002. Penn State higher ups are at fault here.

It really is beyond horrible, truly unimaginable. I think the problem everyone has is that there is a big difference between legal obligations and moral obligations. The first instinct should always be to protect the innocent ... especially the children. If Paterno had knowledge and failed to follow up on protecting the victims, then he failed morally ... as a Christian, as a human being. He failed and so did the higher ups.

This is a quote from a good espn article today about the failures and the problem with power: "For each expression of outrage, we've been here before with the failures by churches, police departments and teams. Somewhere, each institution committed the fatal mistake of believing that power was not a privilege to be handled with great care and humility but instead a license to be above trust. The powerful often have forgotten whom they are supposed to serve."

princessgirls
11-09-2011, 11:13 AM
It really is beyond horrible, truly unimaginable. I think the problem everyone has is that there is a big difference between legal obligations and moral obligations. The first instinct should always be to protect the innocent ... especially the children. If Paterno had knowledge and failed to follow up on protecting the victims, then he failed morally ... as a Christian, as a human being. He failed and so did the higher ups.

This is a quote from a good espn article today about the failures and the problem with power: "For each expression of outrage, we've been here before with the failures by churches, police departments and teams. Somewhere, each institution committed the fatal mistake of believing that power was not a privilege to be handled with great care and humility but instead a license to be above trust. The powerful often have forgotten whom they are supposed to serve."

I agree 100%!!!!
Ever wonder how he sleeps at night????? More victims are coming forward. He could have done something to STOP it, 9 years ago and didn't take it further. More kids were abused.
That's on him all for football? You know what, if he followed up with the police, Penn State Football would have gone on.
Legally he did speak up once and was shut down. Morally he failed on every level.
Pray for those who were so violated.
Julie

Joannelet
11-09-2011, 12:19 PM
This story is so sickening. What a way for Paterno to go out like this! How could any of them not think about the poor children involved!!!? I know winning is important but my gosh.....never more important than the well being of a child! So sad what those kids have to live with!

2Epcot
11-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Anyone who goes to Penn State, or lives in the area ( I grew up there too), knows that Penn State Football is like a religion. It is a way of life, a lifestyle choice, a part of my soul. It helped shape who I am. I feel that I have been dissapointed by a parent. I cannot help it. I guess this is how my grief will play out.

It is a lot like my obsession with Disney World. To me, Joe Paterno is like Walt Disney. The creator of the fantasyland that is Happy Valley.

I am very sad and disappointed that I will now associate something so horriffic with something so wonderful.

I went to Arizona State, now live in CA, but our family used to attend the Fiesta Bowl in AZ every year for more than a decade. We saw many Penn State appearances and saw Paterno and their loyal fans win each game that they were there. Certainly a sad time for Penn State, but of course worse for the victims. Not the way anyone wanted to see Paterno leave Penn State or to have the events associated with the school.

Scar
11-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Here's his statement... tell me this isn't arrogant and egotistical.

"I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

"I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

"That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more. My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this university."

At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address.Yea Joe, you still have the integraty to tell the trustees what to do.

My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination.Dignity? ... DIGNITY!?!?!?!
Are you serious?

How is this guy not yet fired?

wildernesslady
11-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Paterno should not be allowed to finish the season. He showed a lack of integrity and should not be permitted to coach any more.

Today my daughter wore her 100 days to Thon shirt proudly. There is more to PSU than football. Let's hope the victims get the justice they deserve and the currents students are able to get back to their college routines.

PirateLover
11-09-2011, 05:10 PM
It is interesting that this came to light right after I attended a "mandated reporter" training session on child abuse (I am a teacher in PA). According to the letter of the law in PA, Paterno is off the hook. All he had to do legally speaking was pass the information up the chain of command. For example if I suspect child abuse, or am told of an incident, I am obliged to report it to my principal and then it is up to her to take it further. Unless they can prove a case where there is no doubt he had knowledge of an incident and did not report it, he will not be charged. However, morally speaking, I cannot fathom how he would not continue to investigate this on his own and ask what the result was of the one incident he did report. Additionally, "mandated reporters" are free to contact police or ChildLine on their own if they don't think the higher ups have taken it further (although they are not REQUIRED to take this step).

I agree with all those that say he should not get to finish the season, and I do find it despicable that he did not follow through on the one incident he was notified of. This entire thing makes me sick to my stomach.

Scar
11-09-2011, 05:40 PM
I just thought of somethong else. Are they gonna' let him coach his last game at Beaver Stadium and have some sort of farcical and ridiculous (not to mention inappropiate) farewell celebration?

Ian
11-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Truthfully, I find what Paterno did at least a bit defensible. There are a lot of assumptions people are making about what he did or didn't do in terms of follow-up, but the truth is no one knows exactly yet what the facts are there. But he did report it to Schultz who is the head of campus security, so in theory he at least reported the incident (which he only heard about secondhand) to the authorities. Now did he or didn't he follow up ... that's another question.

But the guy I can't figure is Mike McQueary. I mean really ... if you witnessed what that guy witnessed how the heck do you just walk away and call your Dad?????? I would have jumped Sandusky and beaten him to a pulp. :mad:

Scar
11-09-2011, 06:33 PM
... but the truth is no one knows exactly yet what the facts are there. Facts are for a court of law. Penn State needs to do whats right, and letting him go out on his terms is wrong. He has basically admitted he knew something by saying "I wish I had done more."

Ian
11-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Facts are for a court of law. Penn State needs to do whats right, and letting him go out on his terms is wrong. He has basically admitted he knew something by saying "I wish I had done more."I guess ... I'd like to think, though, that fifty years of giving back to the community, running a clean program, and being an overall pillar of the community should buy you something. Agreed these accusations are heinous, but let's not get carried away and forget that Sandusky is the real monster here.

I have to say it's been sort of annoying to me that Paterno is getting all the attention and Sandusky's name only gets mentioned in passing. I mean he's the real one people should be focusing their anger on.

PirateLover
11-09-2011, 09:13 PM
I guess ... I'd like to think, though, that fifty years of giving back to the community, running a clean program, and being an overall pillar of the community should buy you something. Agreed these accusations are heinous, but let's not get carried away and forget that Sandusky is the real monster here.

I have to say it's been sort of annoying to me that Paterno is getting all the attention and Sandusky's name only gets mentioned in passing. I mean he's the real one people should be focusing their anger on.
I don't think people are giving the monster a break, but he's already arrested and out of there now. He will get his. People are outraged at the level of coverup and rightfully so, and Paterno is the face of it. He doesn't deserve to be crucified, but he does deserve some heat. We of course don't know everything.... whether he just turned a blind eye or was really oblivious to all this... I just don't see how the school can move on without removing every element involved in the case, big or small.

I will totally rip on Sandusky. He is a monster of the worst kind. He created a charity for down and out youths and used that pool of poor young men to prey on over a period of 15 years!!! Sick and twisted don't even begin to describe it.

Nascfan
11-09-2011, 09:53 PM
No one here is giving Sandusky a pass at all, Ian. This thread is about Paterno, hence the name of it "Paterno Fired?" Mods get on people here all the time about getting off topic so people are keeping to the topic at hand. Paterno and McQueary both need to be fired, as do the administrators who did nothing. Sandusky needs to get all the justice he deserves and then some, including the devil doing to him what he did to those boys, along with many, many other things I can't mention here because I would be kicked off Intercot.

PirateLover
11-09-2011, 10:20 PM
And, the Board of Trustees have met. Paterno is officially out, effective immediately.

BraddyB
11-09-2011, 11:52 PM

I am not so much as embarrassed as I am disappointed. Don't know how long it will be before I wear a PSU t-shirt or jersey again.

Everything was handled wrongly, but to call JoePa and tell him he is fired is classless. Give the guy some respect and tell it to his face.

Whats more frustrating is Sandusky is barely mentioned in the news, since its all JoePa.

Icing on the cake is McQueary is still employed as an asst coach. Why didn't he go???

Hair_Razor
11-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Truthfully as a Buckeye fan, after seeing our coach get fired for not reporting about some side deals his players were getting, not saying that it's right, it's not. It's just hard to think that they could have not fired him it's ridiculous! This is just way too much to blow over and the more details the worse it gets!

BraddyB
11-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Who's next in the Big Ten.........

Hair_Razor
11-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Who's next in the Big Ten.........

I mean really? Not to mention we're sucking it up this year! Big 10 is killing me!:ill:

BraddyB
11-10-2011, 12:10 AM
Lets blame Pryor !!!!!!!

Ed
11-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Paterno won't get fired, I do believe he will resign on his own at the end of the season.

Wrong.

How is this guy not yet fired?

He IS fired.

Paterno should not be allowed to finish the season.

He won't.

And, the Board of Trustees have met. Paterno is officially out, effective immediately.

Yes, he is. And so is Graham Spanier, the President of Penn State University.

kaylamag
11-10-2011, 07:37 AM
I have mixed feelings about this. I hope the university can get past this. Hopefully now they can go after the the people that are really responsible for the crimes committed. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

yjgirl32
11-10-2011, 09:27 AM
I think everyone is forgetting that SANDUSKY is the one who committed these crimes. Everyone can say Paterno should have done more- but do you know for sure he didn't? He got information about this 2nd hand- how about McCreary who witnessed this- did he do all he could to protect those boys.

Scar
11-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Everyone can say Paterno should have done more- but do you know for sure he didn't?He admitted himself that he should have done more.

I have a lot more to say about why Paterno should be getting this attention, but don't have the time now. I'll be back later.

princessgirls
11-10-2011, 11:19 AM
After digesting all of the information...

Penn State acted a day late and a lifetime short for these abused kids.
They swept it under the carpet. Now they will pay millions. They took action WAY WAY WAY too late and let a predator continue to abuse right there on campus for years.

Sandusky WILL have his day in Court and if will hopefully spend the rest of his life behind bars.

Paterno has to live with not going to the authorities for the rest of his life, and he left the almighty Penn State under the worst scandal of the school's glorious history.
I'm glad they fired him. They took some action here, as little as it may be.

The Nittany Lions will continue on, Penn State will continue on, and I pray the victims can do the same.
There are NO winners here!
Julie

Hair_Razor
11-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Hers's the truth, if you reported the incident to someone and you didn't see any action taken then you should have reported it to the police! That didn't happen, and I blame the janitor who saw the abuse, McQueary who witnessed as well, and anyone they reported to and stood by and did very little to nothing, including Paterno!

indytraveler
11-11-2011, 12:11 PM
My take on this will be a little different so stay with me on this.

Sports locker rooms are like Las Vegas, What happens there stays in there. Whenever somebody reports the goings on in a locker room there usually is some back lash. (see Boston Red Sox)

But the guy I can't figure is Mike McQueary. I mean really ... if you witnessed what that guy witnessed how the heck do you just walk away and call your Dad?????? I would have jumped Sandusky and beaten him to a pulp. :mad:

McQueary was a grad asst coach at the time of this incident. He played at PSU and was now starting his profession as a GA coach. He was the unfortunate person to find this event happening. He does what he has been taught over the years keep it internal. He goes to the highest ranking person on staff. Joe Paterno, he reports it and thinks he is done. Here is where it gets a little muddy. Sandusky was McQueary's dad's college roommate and teammate. So his dad probably has spoken kindly about him over the years. He is now morbidly confused as to what to do. That was the easy way out. Tell the coach. The other reasoning behind this, he is smart enough to know what kind of drama this could lead to PSU and extra heat on his mentor, Paterno. This probably would have been brought out as a scandal and Joe Patereno may be asked to step down as coach. Who would hire the kid once it became known in the coaching profession that this GA took down one of the most storied coaches and instituions in college football. A lot to deal with as a 22 yr old kid. He didn't do all he could have, so cut him a little slack, but not much. There still is that moral right and wrong issue we all have to deal with.

My next point goes back to the buddy buddy network that is coaching, and who else really knew. Sandusky was up to be head coach at two different colleges, I can't remember which, but once he was invited back for a 2nd interview some one from PSU had called and messed up both jobs. He got neither. Who has that power to not get another guy a head coaching job?

So along those lines PSU doesn't have a lot of coaching turnover among its assistants. Case in point the new guy, Bradley who will be the interim coach the rest of the season. He has been around around PSU for 35 years! As tight as coaching staffs are, spending 15-20 hrs a day with each other. do you think this coach or these incidents were ever mentioned again?

What happens behind these walls stay behind these walls.

So now the onion will start to get peeled away, layer by layer and who knows when this will end. Paterno already has a criminal lawyer and not a civil lawyer. You don't try wrongful firings with a criminal lawyer. So there may be more we haven't heard yet. So don't be surprised with anymore news coming from PSU. I know I won't be.

Joannelet
11-11-2011, 01:09 PM
McQueary was a grad asst coach at the time of this incident. He played at PSU and was now starting his profession as a GA coach. He was the unfortunate person to find this event happening. He does what he has been taught over the years keep it internal. He goes to the highest ranking person on staff. Joe Paterno, he reports it and thinks he is done. Here is where it gets a little muddy. Sandusky was McQueary's dad's college roommate and teammate. So his dad probably has spoken kindly about him over the years. He is now morbidly confused as to what to do. That was the easy way out. Tell the coach. The other reasoning behind this, he is smart enough to know what kind of drama this could lead to PSU and extra heat on his mentor, Paterno. This probably would have been brought out as a scandal and Joe Patereno may be asked to step down as coach. Who would hire the kid once it became known in the coaching profession that this GA took down one of the most storied coaches and instituions in college football. A lot to deal with as a 22 yr old kid. He didn't do all he could have, so cut him a little slack, but not much. There still is that moral right and wrong issue we all have to deal with.

I totally understand what you are saying and the way McQueary was thinking. I am sure that is exactly what he was thinking as the first thing he did was run to his dad when he witnessed the crime. CRIME is the key word though that should have hit the 22 year old and the father in the head! They were both too consumed with their images and what would happen to THEM and their jobs rather than the safety of the child or Sandusky doing this to other children. The thing that bothers me MOST is that NO ONE...not McQueary, not his father, not Paterno or the heads of the school ever sought out the child that was involved. They all KNEW that SOMETHING happened with a child in the showers but NEVER once found out the child's name, questioned the child or even gave 2 thoughts about the child involved....until 9 years later they are sending him prayers.

It is such a horrible, disgusting story and there were so many opportunities to out this guy and STOP him from hurting other children. But everyone was too worried about image and what the consequences would be for each other rather than the boys he was raping :(

PopPhan
11-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Let's get a couple things out there....

1) McQueary should have stopped Sandusky IMMEDIATELY. Just making enough noise to let Sandusky know someone else was there would, probably, have been enough

2) McQueary should have, immediately after that, gone to authorities - Paterno, Shultz, Curley, whoever - NOT a day later, after talking with his dad

3) Shultz was the head of University Police, even though that is not listed in his title. PSU has it's own police force due to the size of the University vs. the size of the town of State College.

4) Paterno went to Curley and Shultz to report the alleged incident. I say 'alleged' in that he did not see the incident and it was reported to him the day after it happened

5) Curley is still on Administrative Leave and Shultz went back into retirement. Paterno and Spanier have been summarily dismissed. McQueary is still a coach (although, he has been told NOT to show up to the game this week - and probably for the rest of the season - due to death threats against him.) Sandusky is out of jail on $100,000 unsecured bail.

Now, I don't say to give Paterno a pass, but his resignation should have been enough. The Board of Directors made a 'knee jerk reaction' to the media attention to try to make themselves look good.

As far as those who condemn Paterno for saying 'I should have done more'....How many times have YOU been in situations where, after the fact you wish you would have/could have done more? "Glass houses...."

Hair_Razor
11-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Now, I don't say to give Paterno a pass, but his resignation should have been enough. The Board of Directors made a 'knee jerk reaction' to the media attention to try to make themselves look good.

As far as those who condemn Paterno for saying 'I should have done more'....How many times have YOU been in situations where, after the fact you wish you would have/could have done more.."

A. Then I want Tressel back!!!

B. Those situations in which "I wish I had done more" did not involve someone else's well being or safety. Unforgivable! To know what you would do in that situation is unknown, but it still doesn't make how it was handeled right.

Ian
11-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Let's get a couple things out there....

1) McQueary should have stopped Sandusky IMMEDIATELY. Just making enough noise to let Sandusky know someone else was there would, probably, have been enoughAs hard as it is to believe, if you read the grand jury report McQueary claims that both Sandusky and the boy saw him and neither one reacted.

What does that tell you??

Scar
11-13-2011, 10:05 AM
OK, finally have some free time.

Nobody will deny that Sandusky is sub-human. Nobody will deny that what he did (I purposely left out “allegedly”) is one of the most despicably evil things anyone could do. But if this happened in a scenario that didn’t involve such a nationally recognized and important institution, it would not be national news and we would not be talking about it. What needs to be emphasized here is that Paterno IS Penn State. He had more power than anyone on that campus. And as far as the athletic department goes, he was the boss. The AD was nothing compared to him. You can bet that he had the final decision to cover this up. Yes, everyone and anyone who knew should have reported it, we know of seven people for sure and I’m certain even more knew. Had Paterno or anyone else reported this the first time (I'm now hearing he may have known as early as 1994,) many other children would not have to have been victimized. But Paterno is the guy. He is the name. He had the power. There is no one else involved in this that anyone had ever heard of. That is why this is news and that is why Paterno needs to be vilified.

The more that comes out on this just continues to sicken me even more. I hope Paterno is never allowed on campus again. If they ever give him some sort of celebration it would be an outrage.

Scar
11-13-2011, 10:11 AM
A lot to deal with as a 22 yr old kid.He was a 28 year old coward.

Scar
11-13-2011, 10:17 AM
As far as those who condemn Paterno for saying 'I should have done more'....How many times have YOU been in situations where, after the fact you wish you would have/could have done more? "Glass houses...."When the situation involves the abuse of a child... never. And if I ever were, I can guarentee I will do everything I possibly can.

Hammer
11-13-2011, 11:34 AM
OK, finally have some free time.

Nobody will deny that Sandusky is sub-human. Nobody will deny that what he did (I purposely left out “allegedly”) is one of the most despicably evil things anyone could do. But if this happened in a scenario that didn’t involve such a nationally recognized and important institution, it would not be national news and we would not be talking about it. What needs to be emphasized here is that Paterno IS Penn State. He had more power than anyone on that campus. And as far as the athletic department goes, he was the boss. The AD was nothing compared to him. You can bet that he had the final decision to cover this up. Yes, everyone and anyone who knew should have reported it, we know of seven people for sure and I’m certain even more knew. Had Paterno or anyone else reported this the first time (I'm now hearing he may have known as early as 1994,) many other children would not have to have been victimized. But Paterno is the guy. He is the name. He had the power. There is no one else involved in this that anyone had ever heard of. That is why this is news and that is why Paterno needs to be vilified.

The more that comes out on this just continues to sicken me even more. I hope Paterno is never allowed on campus again. If they ever give him some sort of celebration it would be an outrage.

The mentality that allowed this to happen is in all sports, not just at Penn State. If you expose secrets, you'll never work in that respective sports industry again. The power is held by a select few at each institution, of which Paterno is definitely one of them at Penn State, and you do not cross them.

A friend of mine used to work as a TV producer for a professional sports team's broadcasts. He never gave specifics, but he said if we knew what 99% of the players, coaches and TV people did, you would never be able to watch sports again.

As hard as it is to believe, if you read the grand jury report McQueary claims that both Sandusky and the boy saw him and neither one reacted.

What does that tell you??

It tells me that this child was too scared to speak. This was more than likely not the first time this happened to the child. I'm sure he knew no one would believe him or it would be covered up. As for Sandusky, please see my first comment. He knew his connections would protect him.

Ian
11-13-2011, 06:22 PM
As for Sandusky ...He knew his connections would protect him.Yep. You took the words out of my mouth, Christine. Exactly what I was getting at.

indytraveler
11-15-2011, 11:18 PM
How about the latest developing news from this story.... Sandusky showered with the boys but didn't touch them? At least not in that way. What? I'm sure glad Bob Costas was there on the interview or I'm not so sure I actually heard that. His defense attorney must be proud.

TinkerbellT421
11-15-2011, 11:28 PM
His defense attorney must be proud.

Never ceases to amaze me how some of these lawyers can defend some of these people....

How about the lawyers defensive statement today 'Showering with kids doesn't make him guilty'

ummm...say what!?!?!

This whole story disgusts me, makes my stomach turn and burns me in anger. And not to mention the students that basically caused a riot the day after they fired Paterno. So disappointing that they are upset about him being fired, but not upset about the situation? Cause a riot for the victims....not because Paterno was fired. (This is all IMO).

MizMissy
11-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Another issue for me ... and I really haven't seen any news articles picking up on this fact ... is the timing of it all. This investigation has been going on for quite a while, but the story breaks, the grand jury findings come out, only AFTER JoePa get his record win to become the "winningest" football coach in NCAA history. A little too convenient timing for me.
Just seems that once again in this story, let's let football take precedent over the lives of these innocent children (and I am a HUGE college football fan), it's wrong. Pure and simple.

Nascfan
11-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Another issue for me ... and I really haven't seen any news articles picking up on this fact ... is the timing of it all. This investigation has been going on for quite a while, but the story breaks, the grand jury findings come out, only AFTER JoePa get his record win to become the "winningest" football coach in NCAA history. A little too convenient timing for me.
Just seems that once again in this story, let's let football take precedent over the lives of these innocent children (and I am a HUGE college football fan), it's wrong. Pure and simple.

:ditto: Exactly what I was talking to my daughter about this weekend. Way too convenient timing.

PirateLover
07-01-2012, 02:03 PM
:(:shake:Via USA Today:

E-mails from 2001 between Penn State University's former president, vice president and athletic director discussing what to do about Jerry Sandusky's alleged encounter with a boy in the shower are raising new questions, CNN reports.

The messages from Feb. 26-28, 2001, may illustrate a coverup by former Penn State president Graham Spanier, then vice president Gary Schultz and former athletic director Tim Curley.

University officials "knew they had a problem with Sandusky after a 2001 shower incident, but apparently first decided to handle it using a 'humane' approach before contacting outside authorities whose job it is to investigate suspected abuse," CNN reports.

On June 22, Sandusky was convicted of abusing 10 boys over 15 years.

CNN said it does not have the e-mails, but that the alleged contents were made available to them.

In one e-mail, Spanier allegedly acknowledges Penn State could be "vulnerable" for not reporting the incident. "The only downside for us is if the message (to Sandusky) isn't 'heard' and acted upon, and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it," Spanier allegedly writes.

On Feb. 26, 2001, Schultz allegedly writes to Curley that he assumes Curley's "got the ball" about a three-part plan to "talk with the subject asap regarding the future appropriate use of the University facility," ... "contacting the chair of the charitable organization" and "contacting the Department of Welfare."

However, Curley apparently changed his mind and refers to a conversation he had with head football coach Joe Paterno. It's not known what the two discussed.

Curley writes later that he would rather just meet with Sandusky, tell him there's "a problem," and that "we want to assist the individual to get professional help," according to CNN.

Schultz and Curley are currently charged with perjury and failing to report suspected child abuse. They have pleaded not guilty.

The new e-mails could lead to further charges, CNN reports.

Ian
07-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Yeah this whole thing just gets more and more grotesque.

You know it's one thing to cover up for athletes being out all night partying or even a DUI (where no one is hurt of course), but this ... this is something else entirely.

Frankly, I think the NCAA should ban Penn State from football for good. Just so other universities are clear ... this CANNOT happen ever again!

PirateLover
07-01-2012, 08:16 PM
So thankful that Sandusky will be behind bars, but anyone who played a role in the cover-up, allowing that man to continue to prey on children for over a DECADE after they were first made aware of the situation, needs to be held accountable.

barnaby
07-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Frankly, I think the NCAA should ban Penn State from football for good. Just so other universities are clear ... this CANNOT happen ever again!

Why?
You have college football players who had nothing to do with it. It makes no sense to punish them.
Get rid of every coach, management, college staff, etc who were part of the coverup.
But the football players had who had nothing to do with it, what is the point of punishing them? :confused:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
07-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Why?
You have college football players who had nothing to do with it. It makes no sense to punish them.
Get rid of every coach, management, college staff, etc who were part of the coverup.
But the football players had who had nothing to do with it, what is the point of punishing them? :confused:

I completely agree on this one. The Penn State Football Program should not suffer because of this. The Students that play football for Penn State were NOT involved in this cover up. They should NOT be punished for something they did not do. Yes, the football and athletic program should be shaken down and EVERYONE from the TOP DOWN should be removed and replaced, but the students - don't punish them.

Ian
07-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Why?
But the football players had who had nothing to do with it, what is the point of punishing them? :confused:You're not "punishing" them. They can go play football somewhere else. If you're good enough to make the Penn State team trust me ... someone else will snap you up in a heartbeat.

Anyway, the harshness of what I'm suggesting is precisely the point. You do that and no university would ever consider engaging in a cover up like this again.

barnaby
07-02-2012, 10:28 PM
You're not "punishing" them. They can go play football somewhere else. If you're good enough to make the Penn State team trust me ... someone else will snap you up in a heartbeat.

Anyway, the harshness of what I'm suggesting is precisely the point. You do that and no university would ever consider engaging in a cover up like this again.

Actually, PSU hasn't been getting the great players like they used too, and their relevance as national contenders shows that. But I digress.

Point is, what if your dad played at PSU and you wanted to play there? What if you grew up a kid from western PA who always wanted to play in Happy Valley? Why should those players be forced to go elsewhere because of the acts of select group of people?

princessgirls
07-03-2012, 10:53 AM
This case is almost text book Predator had free reign, even built up his own charity to find the kids to abuse. Then had the All big and Powerful Penn State behind him. Jerry could do no wrong, and the Administrators...they were going to deal with this themselves???? All while more boys were abused.
ALL INVOLVED HAVE TO LIVE WITH THAT!! Cowards and fools, and who pays the price...the victims. I hope they sue Penn State for everything they can get.
All while Jerry will still collect his $4,900 per month pension in jail. He is going to be locked up for the rest of his life, and that is something, because I'm sure he NEVER expected that to happen. Not the almighty Jerry Sandusky who has done so much for the underprivledged children.
The whole thing has really saddened me.
Julie

Ian
07-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Actually, PSU hasn't been getting the great players like they used too, and their relevance as national contenders shows that. But I digress.

Point is, what if your dad played at PSU and you wanted to play there? What if you grew up a kid from western PA who always wanted to play in Happy Valley? Why should those players be forced to go elsewhere because of the acts of select group of people?This wasn't "a select group of people." This was a failure at the entire University level. And really, I couldn't care less about whether or not someone can play football where their father did or not. It doesn't even crack my radar screen when cast against the backdrop of what we're discussing.

The absolute only thing I care about is making sure that no university anywhere ever feels comfortable covering something like this up and allowing it to continue.

I hope they sue Penn State for everything they can get.Yeah truth is once all the suits are filed and settled Penn State may cease to exist as a university not just as a football program, so the above may be irrelevant anyway.

Hammer
07-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Point is, what if your dad played at PSU and you wanted to play there? What if you grew up a kid from western PA who always wanted to play in Happy Valley? Why should those players be forced to go elsewhere because of the acts of select group of people?

The people I know who are Penn State alumni are embarrassed and ashamed by what the University allowed to happen. None of them will be encouraging their kids to go to Penn State, but rather go to another college or university.

This wasn't "a select group of people." This was a failure at the entire University level. And really, I couldn't care less about whether or not someone can play football where their father did or not. It doesn't even crack my radar screen when cast against the backdrop of what we're discussing.

The absolute only thing I care about is making sure that no university anywhere ever feels comfortable covering something like this up and allowing it to continue.

I agree with this statement. How can you encourage your child to play at a university knowing that all of this happened while you were there and the people you trusted were complicit in Sandusky's actions?

Yeah truth is once all the suits are filed and settled Penn State may cease to exist as a university not just as a football program, so the above may be irrelevant anyway.

Oh, Penn State will still be there. The costs of these lawsuits will be passed onto the residents of PA, as it is a state institution.

princessgirls
07-05-2012, 12:46 PM
This wasn't "a select group of people." This was a failure at the entire University level. And really, I couldn't care less about whether or not someone can play football where their father did or not. It doesn't even crack my radar screen when cast against the backdrop of what we're discussing.

Yeah truth is once all the suits are filed and settled Penn State may cease to exist as a university not just as a football program, so the above may be irrelevant anyway.

Where the University administrators thought they would deal with the "situation" is beyond my realm of thought. Don't you have a "moral" responsibility to report this??????
Anyway...they have no morals, that is obvious. The mighty Penn State Football Program comes before anything and everything. However...they left a paper trail of e-mails and a witness who did report and was ignored and blown off.
Lot's of settlements in the lawsuits that are going to be filed.
The victims deserve whatever they can get. They have lived with enough.
Julie

Scar
07-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Being reported now that Paterno's statue will come down. Still not good enough. All trustees need to be replaced and anyone involved in the football program before November has to be fired.

Hopefully the NCAA will give them the "Death Penalty." I don't agree with a forever ban.

DizneyFreak2002
07-22-2012, 06:25 PM
The statue has been taken down today... NCAA to hold press conference tomorrow...

SandmanGStefani24
07-25-2012, 04:05 PM
I have a few problems with this whole thing.

1. Paterno was noted for reporting what he had heard to the departments. What I am wondering is, if he did not witness the event, and is "telling people what he had heard", isn't that hearsay and not admissable in court? It might lead to an investigation but legally not enough for charges, right?

2. The penalties against PSU are being made with emotion, which sets a dangerous precident. SMU got the Death Penalty for repeatedly paying players, and USC got caught red handed paying Reggie Bush. USC gets a slap on the wrist? Ohio State and Miami both got caught for rampant "benefits" violations and legal issues and pretty much had nothing done in comaprison.

Obviously everyone with a soul is against what happened and thinks some punishment is just. Still, college football is a mess in its entirety. People being paid, thugs getting into trouble with no recourse, and a general "lack of institutional control" are the rule in so many places. There needs to be a lot more schools sitting in "time-out" if you ask me.