PDA

View Full Version : Leaving from NYC for Canada in June

sara114
11-05-2011, 07:11 AM
I am a big 'plan ahead' person. I will be taking the 5 night cruise from NYC to Canada in June with grandson. Since Disney has not worked out all the details with transportation....and I know I have to arrive in NY at least the day before......I need a hotel for 1-2 nights prior to departure. Here are my questions:
- are there any hotels that offer shuttle service from airport to hotel
- if not, how much should I expect to spend on cab
- how difficult will it be to get to FAO Schwartz store (grandson's wish) for a birthday gift buying
- any other tips will be helpful

Scar
11-05-2011, 08:13 AM
What airport are you flying into?

Do you want a hotel near an airport, midtown, or somepalce else?

sara114
11-05-2011, 08:23 AM
LaGuardia aiport
don't know what area - but just me (grandma) and grandson going. Want to be safe area.
Willing to take subway, but want easy access to and from.
Must have food source nearby also.

Scar
11-05-2011, 10:45 AM
One thing you don't have to worry about anywhere in NYC is the availability of food.

Hopefully someone with experience will help you out... never having need for a hotel in NYC, I can only give general advice.

Any hotel near the airport will have shuttle service. Not sure about ones in Midtown. If you want to be close to FAO Schwartz, the ship terminal, and pretty much everything else, you'll want to be in Midtown.

Getting around Manhattan is easy, almost imposible to get lost. But if you've never been there you need to do a little studying. My best advice is to learn the subway map, and what lines are near the things you want to see.

MPoppins
12-02-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm not sure how much you've found out since you posted, but I can share a few things with you here. I, too, am sailing from NYC in June! (First cruise!) Through Magical Journeys, I've booked the New York Marriot Marquis for two nights prior to the cruise. I've also booked Disney's ground transportation from the airport to the hotel, the hotel to the port, and the port back to the airport. Check out these add-ons to the cruise and you'll be worry-free! I believe there are three hotels participating in the package... the other two escape me right now. While I haven't stayed at the Marquis, I have stayed across the street at the Doubletree - midtown Manhattan!! It is as safe as I think possible in such a big city. Hope this helps!

sara114
12-02-2011, 08:07 PM
The first cruise is the one I will be on. When I made my reservations, they did not have the transportation available . I also was planning on staying 2 nights prior to cruise at hotel. I will check into that now. thanks for the update
PS....my favorite Disney movie is Mary Poppins !

ElenitaB
12-02-2011, 11:06 PM
The best area to stay would be in Midtown. I would definitely contact Magical Journeys to find out which hotels are offering packages.

Taxis are easy to come by at the airports, and have limits on the amount they can charge. But that may be a moot point if DCL is offering transportation as MPoppins reports above.

Sara114, it's very easy to get to FAO Schwarz (it's at Fifth Avenue and 58th St) from any point in midtown. You can walk or take the N/R train or a bus or a cab. I'd dedicate an afternoon to the excursion because there's loads to see on the way and in the store.

sara114
12-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Opted to go for different hotel than the cruise was offering - saved over $300 by booking on line discount service. Hotel came with breakfast and free WiFi. Reviews were good. Just planning on getting shuttle service from airport to hotel, and disney service from cruise back to hotel....but still need to determine from hotel to cruise line (probably will just do taxi)