PDA

View Full Version : Is mama melrose any good?

CanadaLovesDisney
11-03-2011, 03:19 PM
We are debating mama melrose... Reviews seem to be mixed and I can't get an up to date opinion! Thanks everyone

McLiberal8
11-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Not worth it, in my opinion.

The decor and food reminded me of a chain Italian resturant - very kitschy. It is a 'safe' place, I guess.

With a real authentic Italian place like Via Napoli in the same vicinity, I wouldn't ever go to Mama's again.

Itchy
11-03-2011, 05:18 PM
We ate at Mama Melrose in September and we not impressed. I have had better food at Olive Garden. Our server appeared to have to many tables to properly serve. We never got an offer for refills on our drinks until we got the bill.

We will go to Tutto Italia as we have in the past.

I tried Via Napoli 2 weeks ago for lunch the food and service was good. Glad we were on the dining plan as it was pricey.

Hope this helps.:mickey:

AllDisney
11-03-2011, 06:02 PM
It's an okay place. We do eat there from time to time on our visits to WDW. It's better than Tony's:secret:

PETE FROM NYC
11-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Take it from a NYC bred of Italian heritage.
There ain't any decent Italian food in all of Florida.
It may be considered edible by people used toeating frozen pizza, or jarred sauce.

Sorry, but when it comes to Italian food, I am the worlds biggest snob.

RichGuy
11-03-2011, 06:27 PM
We've eaten there twice, years ago. We enjoyed it for dinner, not for lunch.

They've updated the menu since we last went. Looking over the new menu, it looks interesting enough... I'd try it.

Mfarquar
11-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Ahhhh run! I have never had a good meal here - we've tried 3 times over the many years and it's always been an abomination.

Olive Garden "Italian" food, sloooooow service, and the floors always look like an army of 2-year-olds had a food fight.

I've always gone with an open mind and REALLY WANT it to be good, but each time I've been beyond disappointed. I wouldn't even call this mediocre.

As far as Hollywood Studios goes, I would suggest the Brown Derby or 50s Prime Time for a better experience. Or, as other posters have mentioned - head over to EPCOT.

VWL Mom
11-03-2011, 06:59 PM
I see to be in the minority here but we like it. Is it Italian food like my grandmother made (or my mom or myself), no but it's a decent meal at a decent price. Some dishes have been so so but others have been very good. Overall, a Disney meal. I'm of the opinion that we try each place once because our tastes are different than others.

PixieDreams27
11-04-2011, 09:44 AM
We had a wonderful time there in February, service was very good and food was wonderful. Eating there again in December all 16 of us. I think you will enjoy.:thumbsup:

CanadianWDWFan
11-04-2011, 09:48 AM
We didn't enjoy our meal there, part of it was the poor service. But when your kids won't eat the spaghetti because they said it tastes like it came from a can, you can draw your own conclusions.

Ima-john-eer
11-04-2011, 11:01 AM
I was really surprised to see so many negatives. We ate there with the Fantasmic package in September. With the Fantasmic package, our reservation fell late afternoon. Service was prompt, even with a packed waiting area, and the food was great. One of the few meals during our visit that my 14 yr old son said he got enough to eat! including the buffets. We will be back on our future visits. I had the Pork Osso Buco. It was delicious.:thumbsup:

Scott C
11-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Wife and I each had flatbreads for a late lunch in September--It was fine -- not fantastic but enjoyable. We will probably be back.

Thanks
Scott C

FenwayGirl
11-08-2011, 10:40 AM
We do the Fantasmic package (lunch) there every year and enjoy the atmosphere and food..

Butters
11-08-2011, 12:00 PM
We go every so often never the best but never the worst... We like the fantasmic package

mydisneygirls
11-08-2011, 12:46 PM
I guess this is one place I'll skip. Being Italian, I'm very picky about eating Italian food at a restaurant but Via Napoli sounds like it might be good.

phlo8810
11-09-2011, 09:16 PM
My wife and I ate there once for dinner. We thought it was good. I had the fra diavolo and it was really spicy and tasted fresh. However that was 4 years ago and we have been to many other restaurants since and have never gone back. I remember one time we had adrs for it but canceled. It always comes into the discussion but is never picked. As far as the studios go Brown Derby is the only good spot there IMO. however we really enjoy lunch at the sci-fi dine in too. Both are must do's every trip.