PDA

View Full Version : Poly Rumors

Mitzie
11-03-2011, 12:19 PM
I was reading another un-official site about the Poly, gearing up for our trip in April and there was a long write up about some big changes coming to the Poly. Nothing for sure but the article mentions leveling the current resort and building a new one in it's place fashioned after the new DVC resort in Hawaii..can't go out so they will build up. This new plan would also allow for DVC accomidations. I guess the GCH has needed some work for awhile and this is one thing being factored in. Anyone else hear of these rumors? Is there a time table out there...if this were to come down as mentioned how do all of you Poly fans feel about this?

PopPhan
11-03-2011, 01:32 PM
I would treat that rumor as just that, rumor.

It would not be reasonable - financially or logistically - for them to completely close one of the most popular resorts, losing all those rooms, for any appreciable amount of time.

Figment!
11-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Anyone else hear of these rumors? Is there a time table out there...
These rumours have been loosley circulating for a while.

With the actual construction preparation underway at the Grand Floridian for a likely Disney Vacation Club section; any further additions to any other resorts would appear to be at least a few years off.

Leveling and an entire resort seems very unlikely, at least all at once. The potential revenue lost during the construction period and the logistics of furlowing an entire resorts staff for the construction period, both make this seem very unlikely. They could re-build the resort in sections, but this still appears to be a business plan with little to no pay-offs.

The most likely of the rumours is that 2-3 longhouses will be razed and a tower-ish structure will be built over the footprint. This would match historically with how the DVC units were added to the Contemporary resort with razing the one Garden Wing and building Bay Lake Tower in its place.

Mitzie
11-03-2011, 02:33 PM
This is a quote from the article dated Oct. 17, 2011

Along with all these major plans being changed, trouble with the logistics of removing the GCH and keeping the resort open to me is an indication that something else is in store. Talking with some CMs that work in different areas of the resort, they mentioned possibly being moved to a “new resort” while major work is being done to the Polynesian. Also lately there have been reports of groups from Imagineering all over the resort and on a few occasions Survey teams all over the entire grounds. They were asked what was going on and all they said was “Something big!”

Along with this:
I remember when that rumor came out a while back about the Polynesian being torn down and I was told it would not happen. I even when on the discussion boards and said it was not true. Well after some of my discussions I think there is some truth to it but I think we will have to wait and see.

Aurora
11-03-2011, 03:11 PM
I read the article on the Tikiman site and some comments on the other boards. I definitely think a Poly DVC will happen; when and on what scale is anyone's guess right now.

I'm willing to bet that the single biggest expansion request from DVC members is a Poly DVC. I'm also willing to bet that the Poly is the biggest non-DVC WDW recipient of DVC point trades.

Two other factors: Aulani is already built and there's the ability to "borrow" ideas and plans from that resort, and (I know I'll get flamed for this) the Poly's Grand Ceremonial House probably needs a re-do to appeal to other guests besides its most rabid fans (of which I am one).

A complete gutting at once is extremely unlikely -- more plausible is that it would be done in stages and have regular resort rooms and villas on the same property, similar to the Boardwalk.

Usually you can put money on there being no announcement of this kind for years, even if plans are moving forward. BUT building a Poly DVC could change things. As DIsney's highest-demanded resort, I can see a Poly DVC really driving sales across the board, because of the selling point that you can use your points at any DVC resort. The only probable sticking point is Aulani, but the market for that is different than all the others anyway.

Cinderelley
11-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Not saying it is going to happen, but I can see how it would be plausible right now. Bookings are probably down due to the economy. Therefore, they could afford to shut down a resort and transfer customers to GF or CR. Staff could also be temporarily shifted. Isn't the Poly one of the oldest resorts? It may be needed.