PDA

View Full Version : Using a pressure cooker

Disney4us2
11-02-2011, 03:43 PM
I have a pressure cooker with no instructions. It was my mother's and she has been gone almost 21 years now.

My father has no clue and neither do I. :confused: All I remember is from childhood listening to the steam and rocker on the top of the pot.

So.... How do I use it? Want to try a pot roast in it, instead of the slowcooker.:chef:

McLiberal8
11-02-2011, 03:51 PM
I am not sure which brand you have, but you can google 'how to use a pressure cooker' and there are videos as well as step-by-step instructions.

I am sure you can also include the brand in the search and get even more specific instructions! :thumbsup:

Disney4us2
11-02-2011, 03:56 PM
I will give it a try. It is made by Presto.

BrerGnat
11-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Yeah, you can find out how to do anything by using Google!

My mom used to have one of those too. It's fairly simple to use. You just load it up with the food you want to cook, seal it up tight, put the weight on the top, crank up the heat, and let it go. When it's time to uncover it, you cover the little weight with a potholder, and carefully push down to release the steam. Then, you can safely open it.

You'll need to find some basic instructions on how much liquid to use in the cooking as well as how long to cook what you want to make, but the actual use of the cooker is very straightforward.

ElenitaB
11-02-2011, 06:14 PM
If it hasn't been used in years, make sure that the rubber seal is in good shape: no tears, not dried out and seated well in its channel.

Have fun with it! Pressure cooking is such a time saver and just about anything you might make in a slow cooker can be made in the pressure cooker as well. :thumbsup:

Disney4us2
11-02-2011, 08:44 PM
It worked perfectly.:thumbsup: It hasnt been used in over 20 years. The seals were still good. I just turned off the stove and let it cool down on it's own. Just tried a small piece and it was so tender. No more slow cookers for my pot roasts.:)

Magic Smiles
11-12-2011, 07:57 PM
I was taught to run cold water over the pressure cooker when you take it off the stove to cool it down. Run the cold water BEFORE you take the weight off. You will hear the steam cool down immediately. I love making stews in a pressure cooker. Takes about 20 minutes of cooking and always turns out perfect.