PDA

View Full Version : First week of December

epceddie
10-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Is this a good time to go. How are the crowds? What are the pros and cons of visiting at this time? Is this anyone's favorite time of the year to go? We've always wanted to experience WDW around Christman and we're thinking about making it happen next year. Any help will be appreciated.

tundramom
10-31-2011, 06:12 PM
It's been 6 years since we did it, crowds were low, weather was lousy. It was cool (OK cause it's December after all) and rainy- Non-stop drizzle to 2 full days of solid rain(that's why we bought into DVC) - we were so bored we decided to take the tour for a break from the hotel and homework. Night time was downright cold- I'm talking winter coats, hats, and mittens and still uncomfortable- we're from Ohio and had appropriate outerwear (except DH who refused to take stuff and ended up regretting it hugely!). All of the Christmas decor was up by the end of the week, which is the main reason we chose this time. Still a great Disney trip, just not our favorite.

tennantsrwe
10-31-2011, 06:14 PM
My DH and I were there last year Dec 4-9. The weather was rather chilly, so DEF pack layers! Crowds weren't too bad. It is Pop Warner Nat'l Championship time so expect more kids than usual for that time of year. We enjoyed our time, December is the best!

kaylamag
10-31-2011, 07:34 PM
We are going that time this year, 30 more days! I am nervous about the weather, not sure what to pack. People think i am crazy for wanting to pack long sleeves and pants!

tinksmom02
10-31-2011, 08:03 PM
We were there Dec 1-8 last year. It was COLD. So much colder than we were anticipating! It was pretty crowded, too, and I can't even say it was because of Pop Warner or the parade. It was much more crowded than when we usually go in mid-September.

andmomlau
10-31-2011, 08:29 PM
Wondering the same thing! We are taking a last minute trip for a long weekend,,Dec. 2-5. Are you talking layers or really winter coats cold????? I've heard the decorations are amazing in the resorts and parks and that's really what made us decide to go....really looking forward to it....don't really mind the cold, but could do w/o the rain!!! 30 days to go.....

Strmchsr
10-31-2011, 09:02 PM
It's impossible to talk about weather right now for December. I can go ahead and give you a forecast for any date June through August next year, but December we never know more than a few days in advance. Just check the weather forecast thread a couple of weeks before your trip and at least by then I'll have an idea about the general pattern. With baggage fees and such these days you don't want to pack everything!

As for crowds - that week has definitely gotten more crowded. All the books posted the week after Thanksgiving as being the "least crowded of the year" so now tons of folks go then. Also, the taping of the Christmas parade makes MK pretty crazy Friday-Sunday (Dec 2-4 this year). Pop Warner means big crowds at the resorts, but usually doesn't impact the parks too much. In general, just expect December to be crowded and go with it. It's still doable with fastpass and a plan.

tinksmom02
10-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Wondering the same thing! We are taking a last minute trip for a long weekend,,Dec. 2-5. Are you talking layers or really winter coats cold????? I've heard the decorations are amazing in the resorts and parks and that's really what made us decide to go....really looking forward to it....don't really mind the cold, but could do w/o the rain!!! 30 days to go.....

To be fair, I think that what we experienced last year was considered a "freaky cold snap," and temps typically aren't supposed to drop that low. BUT, we came from NJ and we caught completely unaware. DD and I had to buy gloves and scarves, and she got a hat so I could wear then one she'd brought. There was frost on the grass on more than one morning. We had winter coats on for most of the trip.

The decorations are amazing, and I'm so happy to have been able to experience all of that--the Candlelight Processional, the Osborne Lights, GF's Gingerbread House, plus of course the MVMCP.

Yo Mickey!
10-31-2011, 09:55 PM
we will be at bcv dec 2-10 and cannot wait. the weather can be iffy but it's a chance we are willing to take, if only for all the great decorations. hoping/praying for 70's so we can do some swimming but we will take whatever as long as it is relatively mild.

faline
11-01-2011, 08:28 AM
We have gone to Disney World a number of times during early December. You really can't judge it by your experience with just one visit at this time of year.

Weather: We've had trips where we wore shorts the entire trip - even into the evening hours. We've had trips where we wore jeans and jackets for the beginning of our trip, shorts and tees for the middle of the trip, and back to jeans and jackets for the end of our trip. We've had trips where we spent the entire day at the pool and it was wonderful. We've had trips where we wouldn't go near the pool as it was just too cold. One Christmas party, I dressed in layers (stockings under slacks, long sleeve turtleneck with another long sleeve shirt over that, and added a winter jacket and gloves and was STILL COLD. On our last Christmas party, I wore shorts and a tee and wasn't cold at all (despite having needed to wear to jeans and sweatshirts for all other days of the same trip). Weather can range from wonderful and in the 70's to downright cold (even below freezing) so be sure you are prepared to all kinds of weather as you may experience both extremes as well as anything in the middle on the same trip.

Crowds: For the most part, we've found crowds to be moderate to moderate plus - some days and some parks better than others. Overall, though, we've been able to accomplish what we want without feeling like we're in really heavy crowds. Waits typically ranged from 5 to 30 minutes depending on the ride and judicious use of fast pass was quite helpful.

It's a beautiful time to visit. The holiday decorations are wonderful and Mickey's Christmas party is lots of fun.

sanaj2000
11-01-2011, 10:28 AM
We're going the 2nd to the 5th as well.
I'lll have to watch the weather. If I hvae to go on Splash Mountain in a Parka, im doing it!

Yo Mickey!
11-01-2011, 10:37 AM
If I hvae to go on Splash Mountain in a Parka, im doing it!

amen to that!

brivers222
11-01-2011, 10:49 AM
We are going in 38 more days!!!

I am packing a Spring jacket and some sweat shirts... Considering its dipping down into low 30's each night here in Michigan and highs of mid 40s I am ready for some mid to upper 50's!!! That there is shorts weather!

minnie04
11-01-2011, 11:06 AM
We love to go the first or second week of December. Sorry we like the cold ... Being from Miami, it’s nice to have some kind of cold feeling Xmas. We went last year and it was perfect. A nice chill in the air. I would pack a sweater or sweatshirt for at night. The days are nice and cool, but not enough to wear a jacket. Once the sun comes out the cold is over. Hopefully all this rain is over and we can have clear days and cool nights soon... Have a great time !!!

Katzateer
11-01-2011, 06:34 PM
We have been to WDW 10+ times the first week of December. In all of those trips only 1 was really cold and one was rainy. Most of the time the weather has been great. I love the decorations and the crowds aren't too bad.

One of my favorite times to go!

Mary Chase
11-01-2011, 08:39 PM
We have been many times around that time of year. We normally don't pack long pants, but lots of jackets/sweatshirts. Only one year we had winter coats on - but that was for MVMCP (obviously nights are much colder). Last year, I do recall the freakishly cold weather - however I lucked out because we left just as that was starting. Either way - it really is a beautiful time to visit with all the decorations up. Only one year we had a REALLY bad rain storm - most years we have hardly any rain. It's supposed to be one of the least rainy times of the year - one big reason we have gone so many times that time of year. I guess the bottom line is you have to be prepared for the cooler weather at this time of year, but hopefully it won't be so bad you need winter coats!

brivers222
11-02-2011, 01:26 PM
and not to mention... its not christmas unless there is a chill in the air.... everything else is just unnatural :thumbsup:

Granted it would be nice to have it snowing "soaping" on Mainstreet while in our shorts... It will be just like April in the D-etroit!

Tigger's Mom
11-03-2011, 10:54 AM
We went the 6th-11th in 2006 and had a little bit of everything temp wise. We started in shorts and being able to swim (well my 4 year old anyway) to very windy and cold and wishing for a warmer coat. We went with the layer approach of long sleeves, sweatshirts and jackets. Wished we had hats one day! After that really cold day, it went back to being moderate. Recommend you check the extended forecast and plan according to that. This was a favorite trip though!! Christmas decorations are amazing and the party was awesome too!! Crowds can vary depending on your resort too as they have the football tournament going on at the Wide World of Sports. This usually impacts the Values most. Enjoy!!!!

minnie04
11-03-2011, 01:53 PM
and not to mention... its not christmas unless there is a chill in the air.... everything else is just unnatural :thumbsup:

exactly, and a chill to us down here isnt exactly the same chill all you up state people feel. We like the 50 & 40's:freeze: I know , I know thats nothing to you ,but we love the feel of the cold mixed with the decorations to make it feel like Xmas time.. Then we go home and hit the beach on Xmas day :vacation: ..:mickey:

epceddie
11-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks for all the wonderful replies. Hope the weather is nice for everybody and that you all have great trips.

Yo Mickey!
11-07-2011, 10:46 AM
25 days til blast off....cannot wait. if the weather is good we will check in mid afternoon and let the kids hit stormalong bay while my wife gets the room ready, groceries and clothes unpacked. then shower and to epcot for emh that evening!

my son and daughter will want fish and chips from the uk. i will want my grand marnier slush (always lets me know we are back!) and my wife will be in heaven getting the kids to take pictures after pictures...hopefully the tribute band will be playing in the back of the uk so we will hang out for a bit before heading to try and get a fast pass for test track later that night.

did i mention that i can't wait?

natstroop
11-08-2011, 12:46 PM
We went the first week in Dec in 2007. We were in shorts and tshirts the whole time. We even drove out to the coast and swam in the ocean. We stayed offsite in a private home and swam in the outdoor pool every night after the parks.

I didn't think it was really that busy at all. The longest wait was for Soarin and that was only about 60 mins. But the rest were all under 30 mins. Some rides we walked right on and got to reride without having to get off.

We are planning on going the first week in Dec in 2012 as well. I hope it turns out to be like '07. We will definitely bring the heavier clothing again incase they get a cold spell like previous years.

Yo Mickey!
11-09-2011, 04:54 PM
in 23 days i will give you a first-hand account of the weather.

just saying...;)

disneymom2000
11-13-2011, 10:41 PM
The weather in Orlando is so unpredictable. I went in early Dec 2007 and we wore t-shirts and shorts the first couple of days and then a cold front hit that evening and the stores practically ran out of hoodies and sweats because no one was expecting it. It was still cold the next day and we wore the hoodies and sweats we bought the night before and then the weather went back up and we finished the rest of the week in our t-shirts and shorts. Then last year I went early Dec and the first 3 days were so cold we couldn't even sit through the Candlelight Processional because sitting on the bleachers made us shake constantly. We couldn't enjoy the parks because the wind was so strong that we cut our park time and stayed in our resort and ate at the restaurants there so we wouldn't have to go outside. I love the cold weather but the wind just killed me. The last couple of days weren't too bad and we got by with a medium sweater and jeans. Just take a variety of clothes and layer if need be.