PDA

View Full Version : My Dad's 70th Birthday Trip

Joannelet
10-31-2011, 01:34 PM
We had a big crew this past week in Disney World celebrating my Dad's 70th birthday. I don't want to write day by day but I just wanted to write some highlights of this trip and who was there with us etc.

It was me: Joanne, 34 (a week away from being 8 months prego)
My DH, 35
My DS, 2 (will be 3 in November)
My Dad (turning 70 on this trip)
My Mom
My sister, 32
My other sis 37
Her DH, 39
Their children and my niece and nephews ages 8,7, and 1
My brother 43

Dates: Oct 22nd-October 30th

I had shirts made by a friend of mine for all of us to wear on my Dad's birthday. I had given him and my mom their's and he just thought that I got it for them. Well the day of my Dad was sitting with my mom in the lobby of our hotel (The Swan and Dolphin-our first visit to that hotel) and we all walked down and met him wearing our shirts as well as the children. It was such a great moment and his expression was priceless. We made him and my mom tear up. It was a moment we won't EVER forget :)

The Swan and Dolphin was nice. Ate at some very good restaurants. Ate at the Italian restaurant there on my Dad's actual birthday. The food was yummy. DVC members get discounts at a lot of the places on this property so it was good for us. The only thing it really isn't what we consider "kid friendly". We also ate at the Garden Grove restaurant on property and it was good...only thing only 2 characters at the dinner. :(
My hubby and I also had a problem with our room meaning it WASN'T clean. They gave us a new room mid week and gave my mom a discount considering my mom booked this trip for all of us to go.

I am also almost 8 months pregnant...well 10 more weeks left so this trip was VERY different for me and couldn't go on many things. I will definitely be going back though during this time frame since the weather was gorgeous and the halloween party was great!

Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party was a lot of fun! I was so worried after reading posts on Intercot with people saying how crowded it was etc. Our night was not bad at all. We had a great spot on Main Street for the parade, met the 7 Seven Dwarves and no lines for trick or treating (in some areas yes but not all). My son danced with Woody and Jessie in the Horseshoe Review and loved it. I have to go back because again I couldn't do much and would love to experience everything the party has to offer. The headless horseman was really cool! :)

Lines in all the parks were not bad any of the days we were there. I actually saw Peter Pan at a 10 minute wait at one point!
Dumbo was at 15 everytime we went.
Very doable and the weather was sooo cooperative.
The fantasyland expansion is going very well. We were there this past May and so much has been done. I heard a VIP tour guide say well when you see they are already putting snow on the mountain that means they are ahead of schedule. So things are looking good!

Did the Behind the Seeds Tour with part of the family at Epcot. It was great. We all enjoyed it...especially my son since I was the one who got to release some ladybugs (his favorite bug).
My Dad and my husband did the Segway Tour. They both loved it. The hour one is only allowed one as they did away early Oct. with the 30 minute tour. They only do the 30 minute tour now if it is raining. That day was clear and so they did the full hour. They had a great time!

With that all being said, I have learned that it is too hard with a large group like this. It was hard to coordinate where everyone was and wanted to do etc. It put a damper on things because we spent a lot of time trying to find others and when it could have been spent on actually doing things.
Well I hope everyone is having a Happy Halloween and we are heading out trick or treating now. Next trip will be with our 2 children!! :) Cannot wait to start planning that!

faline
10-31-2011, 05:23 PM
What a special trip for you entire family! I'm sure your dad was so happy to have his entire family there with him! Thanks for the report!

And, please let us know, when baby arrives!!:baby:

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Sounds like a wonderful trip:mickey:

princessgirls
11-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Sounds like a fabulous time!!

I agree with you about traveling in large groups...it can be hard, and I tend to be the "people pleaser" of the group, so I end of missing out on what I really wanted to do.

Glad you enjoyed everything in spite of being 8 months pregnant.
Julie:mickey:

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-09-2011, 11:39 AM
What a wonderful trip of a lifetime!

We too have learned our lesson about large groups. It seems to take triple the time to do ANYTHING with a large group.

We have learned to just pass out the itinerary (what park on what days) and plan 3 or so events to do together. Like a lunch, a dinner and Wishes. Other than that, it's every mouse family for themselves! :mickey:

RedSoxFan
11-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip!!:mickey:

wildernesslady
11-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Sometimes large groups are hard to handle. It sounds like you made the best of it.

You were lucky to have great weather especially being 8 months pregnant. Good luck with your upcoming arrival.

Joannelet
11-10-2011, 04:04 PM
We were very lucky with the weather but I also knew October was a better month for me being so far along. I was there in May when I found out I was prego and it was soooo hot. I couldn't imagine doing that at 8 months along. My Dads birthday was the whole reason for the trip so we knew we would be going there the last week of Oct.
The only thing that bothered me was my feet. There were moments that my feet hurt so bad I had tears in my eyes. I maybe went on 3 rides, saw some shows but it was fine. Because of so much confusion about who was doing what, my hubby, son and I didn't get to do much. But that was okay because we went all out when we were there in May. :)

pdrlkr
11-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the Report!:smickey: