PDA

View Full Version : Ladies...best winter coat?

BrerGnat
10-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Seeing as how there is SNOW forecast for this weekend here, I guess it's time I accept the fact that I don't live in Southern California anymore, and get cracking on buying some winter clothes.

I'm clueless, though. Haven't had a winter coat since, oh, about 1993. And, I was a teenager back then...

So, what kind of winter coat do you have? Brand? Style? Material?

I need some guidance!

SBETigg
10-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Oh, yikes, cold weather is really a rude welcome, isn't it? This really depends on personal style, how cold it gets in your area, and how used to it you are.

I like to have a few options, one for more dressy occasions (full length, wool, lined). One for really wintry conditions (parka, hooded, with some kind of insulation like thinsulate- North Face or LL Bean are good for these), and a few more casual but cute options in varying degrees of warmth. I have a double breasted red pea coat that is my main go-to casual option, dresses up with scarves and is super warm or just warm enough depending on layers underneath.

Remember that you get your warmth from layers more effectively than with just one heavy garment. So it's good to look for something that will fit over regular clothes, one sweater, or a some layers underneath. If you're looking for one warm all purpose sort of coat, I would probably go for function over style but try to find a nice combination of both, and again check out LL Bean or North Face for that, or a similar type of store. I'm keeping in mind that you have boys and will probably be out playing in the snow at some point.

Madame Leona
10-28-2011, 10:37 AM
My favorite by far is Lands End. You can sometimes find some good deals in there clearance section and overstock area.

DebK
10-28-2011, 07:44 PM
I've had good luck for the whole family with Columbia jackets.....

Hammer
10-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Like Sherri, I have multiple winter coats, depending on the situation. I have a full length lined wool coat for dressy occasions. For everyday use in winter, I have a black wool pea coat. Also, I have a raincoat, but it has a removable lining which I like to use this time of year. All have room for layers.

RedSoxFan
10-28-2011, 08:50 PM
I have the long down coat from LL Bean. It comes down past my knees. I love it and with a fleece jacket; it is very warm. My mother is now living with me and she ordered the same type of jacket from Lands End.

DVC2004
10-29-2011, 01:27 PM
I have a long down puffer coat from the Gap with a faux fur trimmed hood. It's actually warm and stylish. I looked and they have a similar one for sale again this year. It's a little pricey but it's actual down filled so it's very warm and cozy. It also had a feminine fit/shape too it- not just a gigantic puffy box. I love it and it's not super bulky. Around $140 but they are offered alot of 20%-30% days now too.

TheMartellFamily
10-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Columbia jackets are the best, we like the kind that has layers and for different temps there is different coats in one.

disney obsessed
10-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Another vote for Columbia. My favorite has two layers. They both can be worn alone or together and the tops part is also a rain coat.

Janmac
10-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Maybe it's global warming, but in the last several years I have not owned a parka. I am into layers, as Sherri mentioned. We are likely to be much warmer at mid-day, so layering is useful. Here in mid-Missouri, we have variable weather, probably similar to your location. In the 70s DH was stationed in Norfolk, and we had all sorts of weather during the winter.

I have a couple of fleece jackets, one thinner and one thicker, that is also windblocker. The thinner fleece is a jacket from Columbia while the windblocker fleece is a parka style from L L Bean. The outer layer is a windbreaker/rain jacket kind of thing from somewhere. Used to have a Red Ledge rain jacket for an outer layer but what I replaced that with is eluding me.

Luckily I don't have to have really dressy clothes. The few dressier - but still only casual - occasions that come up are covered by the L L Bean windblocker fleece parka. It doesn't have a hood, but it is a longer length with a cinchable waist.

During cold spells (around zero or below overnight with highs in the single digits) I will put on a wicking long sleeve undershirt, a sweater, then the fleece, and the outer windbreaker jacket. With the gear mentioned below, I've usually been comfortable.

The key to my being warm is a warm neck, ears, forehead and hands. I love fleece gloves and the fleece ear bands. I keep one in each jacket pocket. One earband goes over my ears and forehead and the other around my neck. I do have a very nice long warm scarf that I can really wrap around my neck, but for running out to the mail, etc., the ear bands are quick, easy and warm in most conditions. The scarf is nice when it's really cold.

You can pick up ear bands in a lot of places but some times Sierra Trading Post or Campmor have good deals on them. Turtlefur is especially nice.

Smartwool socks are nice and warm. Unless it's really deep, wet snow, which doesn't happen often, I wear sneakers even in winter. They usually aren't so prone to slip on ice.

As for your boys, here in our public school district, scarves are not allowed. Tho I understand the reasoning, it seems to me to make for colder kids.

Jan

Aurora
10-30-2011, 12:34 AM
In Chicago we have weeks of frigid weather in the winter (sometimes it gets down to -20 degrees), so I need something warm. I have three coats I wear regularly -- one long, black trench with a zip-in lining from Macy's that I wear when I'm dressed up; a long, black, Michael Kors parka with a fur-trimmed hood, also from Macy's, and a cream-colored, hip-length parka from Land's End.

My 15-year-old DD just got a white Esprit parka from Macy's that has a zip-off, fur-trimmed hood also lined with fleece.

We have hundreds of stores to choose from in Chicago, and my DD and I always wind up going back to Macy's to find what we need. Their selection and prices are great. But for my sons, I usually shop for winter coats and gear at Land's End; they have lots of options, colors, styles and prices, and they're happy with what we get there.

Kairi_7378
10-30-2011, 11:24 PM
I do a fair amount of work outside. I've been very happy with my LL Bean parka. It's very warm but also lightweight... very important when you're traveling with kids.

princessgirls
11-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Get a nice Northface winter coat from Sports Authority. Sporty, yet functional.

Oh Natalie...I really am praying that winter 2012 isn't as bad as 2011...it's not looking too good is it???

Julie:mickey:

BrerGnat
11-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Oh Natalie...I really am praying that winter 2012 isn't as bad as 2011...it's not looking too good is it???

I would say not. But, I'm secretly excited for snow. :secret: It's been a LONG time, and I always loved playing out in it. I'm hoping my boys will enjoy it.

I ordered a "nice" London Fog coat from Macy's online, and I will probably get another sportier parka from either L.L. Bean or something. I have a snowboarding jacket, but it's from "California snowboarding", so it's not insulated at ALL. Just a shell, without a hood. I know I could layer that, but I don't like the feeling of layers. I'd prefer to wear a thin long sleeve shirt and have the coat do most of the warming work. :)

Bethanymouse
11-18-2011, 10:36 PM
LOVE my Northface. Best. Coat. EVER!

And I hate coats!