PDA

View Full Version : Feeding a 1 year old

Airblue1
10-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Any advice on how to feed a one year old at the parks and resorts for a week?
Thanks

Buttercup
10-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Well, it's pretty easy to find fruit like bananas and melon, and individual cereals like Cheerios, especially at the resorts. So there's breakfast.

All other meals, we would just cut up our food into smaller sizes and let them eat off our plate. Stuff like pasta, chicken, vegetables, and the occasional french fry! Buffets often include things like macaroni & cheese, or mashed potatoes, and other kid-friendly foods too.

We also had other favorite snacks like individually wrapped cheese & crackers stuffed into our bag for the day, and of course you can easily find cookies and ice cream everywhere!

Milk, juice and water are easily found everywhere as well.

I'd say a 12 month old is pretty easy to feed. It's the ones who are 6 months old that are a pain when you have to haul around jars of baby food with you!

Georgesgirl1
10-24-2011, 10:04 PM
By the time ODS was 1, he was pretty much eating what we were, just cut into smaller pieces. DH or I just made sure that we ordered some things we knew he would eat. I would also bring some individual fruit cups, Cheerios, goldfish, etc for snacks. The only thing that would be challenging is milk if you are staying somewhere without a fridge. You can buy individual things of shelf stable milk to save money from having to buy milk everytime at the food court.

WDWCrazyKaren
10-25-2011, 09:05 AM
There are tons of small person food options at all of the food courts, and even a lot of the shops in the parks. Goldfish type (mickey of course) crackers are sold in just about every gift shop, and my kids ate those things as late as last year, at the ages of 13 and 23! All of the food courts have fruit, cheeses, cereal, and the gift shops at the resorts have plenty of healthy snack type foods. You won't have any problems. Every night, my girls will pick up one of the grapes (not necessarily the best option for a one year old-but you get the idea) and cheese plates from the food court and laid in bed snacking. No one goes hungry at Disney!

BrerGnat
10-25-2011, 09:26 AM
It depends on what your 1 year old eats. How does he/she eat at home?

As far as traveling with baby food, I'd recommend that food that comes in pouches. Those are easy to transport, can be resealed if they are not finished, and can be eaten anywhere on the go.

Along with that, if your child eats stuff like cheerios or cereal puffs (Gerber type), then you should bring those with you, as you will not find them at WDW. Cheerios, in particular, are quite difficult to find as they are not Kellogg's brand.

My two boys were quite opposite when they were one. One of them ate NOTHING but pureed baby foods and cheerios/puffs. The other one ate NO baby foods, no cereal, but he would eat anything we were eating, so he was much easier to travel with.

Oh, and either teach your baby how to drink from a cup with a straw, or bring along some of those disposable sippy cups.

Mickey'sGirl
10-25-2011, 09:35 AM
At one, our son was eating "big food", so we fed him from our plates. We also brought Cheerios, fish crackers, and bought yogurt and bananas from just about anywhere in the Resort. We bought whole milk to keep in our room, and he would drink that or water (those are still his beverages of choice!). One is a very easy age to travel with in my opinion.

I hope you have a fabulous time.

Patricia
10-25-2011, 09:42 AM
I always found the Baby Care centers in the parks very helpful if I ran out of baby type snacks, food or diapers while in the parks. You can also warm food or bottles there.

buzznwoodysmom
10-25-2011, 11:15 AM
By 1 our kids were both eating what we were eating so feeding them was easy.

We did travel to WDW with our son when he was 9 months old and still taking a bottle and eating baby food. I just did like I would do at home if we were going somewhere for the day. I packed his diaper bag with bottles and formula, baby food, bibs, snacks, and whatever else I normally needed for a day outing.

CosmicRay
10-25-2011, 12:07 PM
I always found the Baby Care centers in the parks very helpful if I ran out of baby type snacks, food or diapers while in the parks. You can also warm food or bottles there.

I was going to suggest the same thing. We traveled with our third and fourth child when they were 6 months and 18 months. The care stations were nice, quiet and clean. They had food, bibs, a small play room and high chairs. I was so glad to have known about the Care Centers!

Airblue1
10-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Where are they located?
Thanks

Disney Doll
10-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Where are they located?
Thanks

Magic Kingdom – Located behind the Crystal Palace Restaurant
Epcot – Located the Odyssey Center
MGM Studios - Found at Guest Relations in the front of the Park
Animal Kingdom -Near Creature Comforts in the Safari Village.

I'd say it really depends on the kid. Neither of mine were much into table food at 12 months. I took my oldest to Disney for his first birthday and we brought baby food. I was kind of thankful because even though packing it may be a bit of a pain I never had to worry about what he was going to eat or if there would be healthy options for him. You can also do a grocery delivery. We had a good experience with Garden Grocer on our last trip.

DisneyDog
10-29-2011, 06:55 PM
We made a point of eating at buffets when my DS was that age. It was much easier with such a big selection. I don't know how things are now, but back then (he is now 8) buffets were free under 3 years old. If you order off of a menu, you are paying full price for a meal that might not be eaten if baby doesn't like it.