PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Green Questions

Mackflava99
10-24-2011, 01:20 PM
I have a family member that id going to stay at Shades of Green in November. I don't have much knowledge of that resort. Can anyone give me some tips or pointers that I can pass on to them?

Things like:

How is the pool?
Good or bad rooms?
transportation?
Food?
How are the rooms ?
Any activities inside the resort?
Do they have
access to EMHs?

Thanks for any help/insight you can provide!!

T-Belle
10-24-2011, 05:03 PM
I LOVE SOG!!!! I'm sure your family member will too.
1. The main pool is the only Mickey head shaped pool on property ( I think). They also have a quiet pool that's nice.
2. Rooms are clean and roomy. Some of the largest standard rooms at WDW.
3. I love SOG transportation. It is different from other Disney resorts in that is on a timed schedule. To get to MK or Epcot the bus takes you to TTC. For DTD, AK, DHS or the water parks the bus takes you directly there. I love it because they will tell you when the busses will be back at that park...ie...20 minutes passed every hour.
4. I've only done room service (pretty good) and Evergreens-standard bar food-chicken wings and pizza
5. See # 2. Some of the rooms can be a bit of a trek from the lobby. I last stayed in rm # 2115. It was very convenient to the lobby and bus stop. I plan on requesting that room from now on.
6. not sure about this one
7. Yes! Both morning and evening EMH. But they do not have the Disney Dining Plan.
Hope this helps.

buzznwoodysmom
10-24-2011, 06:19 PM
We have stayed at SOG twice, but only for one night each time. While we aren't really fans of the resort, I still think it can be a great option for those eligible to stay there.

We've only "tried" to use the transportation once. We arrived just as the bus we needed had left, and rather than waiting an hour for the next one we walked to the Poly to take a bus from there. Not a very good first impression of resort transportation. That was the only time we tried to use SOG's transportation so I can't really comment on it much more than that. However, I will say that it kind of turned us off to ever staying there for a full trip. I know many like the tight schedule, but I prefer more frequent transportation simply because when traveling with kids you just never know what might come up. If missing a bus by even just one minute means I've got to either wait an hour for the next bus or figure out another way to get where I'm going, then I'd just rather stay somewhere else.

We've never eaten at the resort, and we've never used the pool so I can't comment on either of those.

I will say that the grounds are very quiet and pretty. The few times we've been there it always felt quiet and inviting. Never rushed or chaotic like some of the other resorts can get.

We've shopped in the gift shop and I thought it had a good selection considering its not a Disney owned resort.

Getting tickets at the ticket window can be a pain. We always end up behind a line of people that don't know what they want. Seriously, in the past there have been times it took us over an hour at SOG just to get tickets. And the worst part is once we get to the counter it normally takes us about 5 minutes to make our purchase, so all that time is pretty much waiting in line watching guest after guest take forever to decide what they want.

And finally the rooms. We've stayed at many resorts on property and we'd rate the SOG rooms among the best, if not the best. They are by far the largest of the rooms we've stayed in. The rooms at the Poly were pretty close in size, but I think the rooms at SOG were a bit bigger. The decor is nothing special, but you've definitely got room to spread out a bit. The first time we stayed we had a great room location. It was close enough to the lobby as well as the parking garage. The second time our room was so far we thought we'd never get there. No kidding, each time we turned a corner we'd all say "surely this must be it" only to find another long hallway. We arrived around midnight, after a 12 hour drive, with tired 7 and 5 year olds, and my mom has knee problems. A couple of times there would be a single chair in the hallway, usually off in a corner when the hall would turn and widen. We joked that they must have the chairs so guests can take a break during their long walk to their room. We were the very last room at the end of what must have been the longest hallway in the resort. It was a very long trek to the room, or maybe we were just really tired, lol. I was so glad we weren't there for the week. I think I would have asked to be moved the next morning if we were staying any longer.

All in all its a good option. We've never been interested in staying for a whole trip, but we keep saying if WDW resort rates keep going up, and we find ourselves without a discount for any future trips we'd definitely consider SOG for a whole trip. You just can't beat the price.

Oh, a few more things. The last time we stayed there we were able to park at the parks for free, and were able to participate in EMH. Since that time I think I've read that you can no longer park for free. Not sure about EMH. You also can't participate in the dining plan, and you can't have packages sent back to your resort.

wdwfansince75
10-24-2011, 10:00 PM
We have stayed at SoG many times, with DK's, DGK's and DF's, and all love the resort.
The pools never seem very crowded, and they get two thumbs up from our clan.

DW loves sitting outside, feeding the turkeys (bunches of them...or herds, or prides, or gaggles...more than one turkey), and watching the duffers (who gather in foursomes), so we usually ask for bottom floor of the new wing...although all rooms are large. The old wing is closer to the lobby and the transportation...the new wing is still relatively convenient...the furthest walk is about as far as the outer wing of the Comtemporary garden wing..There really don't seem to be any inconvenient rooms...(although I do note that a far room, late at night, with sleepy kids, seems twice as far as that same room, with wide awake and anxious kids on the way to the park)

SoG does have a game room, some activities for the kids, a well equiped fitness center, an ice cream parlor, gift shop, and exchange, for adult beverages, conveniences, and some souvenirs...Also very convenient to the Golf Courses, with special rates for SoG guests. Also short walk to Poly for all it offers..and, of course, there are 4 great theme parks, just a short distance away. Note that the is a ticket office, for WDW and other local attractions, at tax exempt prices, and some discount...and the SoG now offers guests the opportunity to pre-order tickets, so they are at the dest upon arrival...we did it this year, for the special Armed Forces passes, and the reqular WDW tickets...saved time and temper.

This past trip, the transportation was markedly better...newer and more reliable buses...We have usually walked to Poly for the Monorail to MK...although there is a bus to the TTC every 20 minutes...that is usually how we return from MK, and how we go to/fm the EPCOT monorail. We normally catch the SoG-AK and SoG-DHS buses to/fm those parks, but there is also a Disney bus between TTC and DHS, and between TTC and AK...so if we have missed the SoG bus to or from those parks, we have a reliable, more frequent alternative. (Also a good alternative to standing all the way to the parks, if the direct buses are filled) Extra points...walking to/from Poly takes you right past Captain Cooks, where you can get serve yourself Dole Whip...

The past two years, we have enjoyed Mangino's....both the quality and price...and the Room Service menu has also improved. Our kids have found the buffet at the Garden Galley (a variety of themed buffets) very affordable, and they love the breakfast, which is your choice of off the menu or buffet. Evergreens is a good fast food or takeout venue, and sports bar...next to the pool...

Rooms have 2 queens and a daybed. Also have refigerators, coffee maker, and safe. Housekeeping has always been good and responsive. Again, two thumbs up on rooms, either old or new wing.

And SoG guests are qualified for EMH's.

Overall, considering that you pay about 20-30% of the rate for the deluxe resorts, and usually less than the smaller rooms at the moderates, and eligible members can get up to 3 rooms in addition to their own, our clan finds it a great way to afford more frequent visits to WDW....We prefer it to the moderates for convenience and room, and to the deluxes, on price..essentially, a monorail hotel at below moderate prices.

O, and the guests are some of the finest people you could have the pleasure of meeting. Vietnam vets, like myself, with kids and grandkids, Desert Storm vets, with their older kids, and Iraq and Afghanistan vets with their young families...Proud grandparents and parents, happy to be able to afford taking the kids to a wonderful resort, and to Disney World. We have seen three generation family groups, like ourselves, on every trip.

buzznwoodysmom
10-25-2011, 11:09 AM
This past trip, the transportation was markedly better...newer and more reliable buses...We have usually walked to Poly for the Monorail to MK...although there is a bus to the TTC every 20 minutes...that is usually how we return from MK, and how we go to/fm the EPCOT monorail. We normally catch the SoG-AK and SoG-DHS buses to/fm those parks, but there is also a Disney bus between TTC and DHS, and between TTC and AK...so if we have missed the SoG bus to or from those parks, we have a reliable, more frequent alternative. (Also a good alternative to standing all the way to the parks, if the direct buses are filled) Extra points...walking to/from Poly takes you right past Captain Cooks, where you can get serve yourself Dole Whip...

This is great to know. We aren't familiar enough with the resort to know all the ins and outs of transporation, so I had no idea you could take a bus to the TTC if you missed a bus to a park. Although I'd still rather a direct route to the parks, its good to know you don't have to wait an hour for the next bus.

Mackflava99
10-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Thank you all so much for all this insight, it is very helpful. I will gladly pass it on !!

Oh One more question, does the SOG gift shop sell SOG items like pins?

wdwfansince75
10-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Thank you all so much for all this insight, it is very helpful. I will gladly pass it on !!

Actually, there are two stores at SoG...one (East meets West) sells SoG items, including shirts, ect with SoG logos, and other casual wear. Wife bought a muumuu there last trip. Not sure if they also sell pins. The other store is the AAFES, which sells WDW souveniers as well as bread, milk, snacks, and adult beverages. They are both down the hall from the lobby.

buzznwoodysmom
10-25-2011, 07:38 PM

Not sure about pins, but DH bought a SOG visor at the smaller shop. Its right across the "hall" from the ticket counter. If I remember correctly they had a good bit of SOG merchandise there. This was back in 2007 or 2009, not sure which trip he bought the visor on.

Tigger's Mom
10-26-2011, 03:33 PM
FYI - You can have packages sent to your room. I did this in 2010.

We find knowing the transportation schedule helpful as we can make other decisions. I've walked to the Poly to wait for a bus and waited longer than I expected considering this is a deluxe resort. You can also ask the bellhops to ride you to the edge of SOG property in the "Shady Shuttle" and cross the street to the Poly.

Overall, we really like the resort for the value we get. Great room size! Also nice to have the toilet separate from the sink area in the bathroom. You also have a safe and mini fridge that aren't an extra cost. We've eaten at Evergreen's and Mangino's and liked both although a better or bigger selection at Evergreen's would be nice.

Kids like the pool. We're not in it that much, so it's good for us.

You can actually pre-order your tickets for everyone in your party and they'll give them to you at check-in (you can avoid the long lines this way). This was a new option this year. They sent me an email a couple months before our arrival date. We used this option and had no issues.

Can't think of anything else right now, except to say enjoy your trip and your stay at SOG!!