PDA

View Full Version : Por - pofq

Sunshine1010
10-24-2011, 09:58 AM
I have a friend who just returned from WDW, and she stayed at Riverside. I asked her if she went to FQ while there and she said she did....and that Riverside is much, MUCH prettier and nicer. I've never been to either....and in a few weeks I'm staying at FQ. Can anyone gives opinions or comment?

mickey_M_lvr
10-24-2011, 10:08 AM
We were there in Sept for the first time and LOVED it. It is small enough to feel like you are close to everything but just big enough for it to be peaceful.

I think you will love it. Plus it is nice at the end of a very long day not to have to walk ALL the way back to your room...even in the last building it's not THAT far.

I hope you have a wonderfully magical stay.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Even though they are "sister" resorts, they do have a different feel.

POFQ is like being in the French Quarter, with "houses" and gardens, paths, etc. It is laid out like a city, with straight lines, etc. It is lovely, our favourite resort.

POR is like being in the bayou. It is filled with lush plants and winding, wandering trails. From our POR room, we couldn't see anything but the vegetation. It was also lovely, and our second favourite resort.

They are both beautiful, it really comes down to the theming that you like best.

Enjoy your trip :thumbsup:

tinkergal
10-24-2011, 12:20 PM
You made a wonderful choice! After staying multiple times @ POR (most recently this month), I enjoyed my 1st visit at POFQ back in the Spring. The rooms are delightful & the resort is easy to navigate. If you have the chance to visit POR, do so & explore it for yourself. You'll likely find aspects that are appealing & will warrant a future stay there! I think if I'd known then what I know now, POFQ would've been a less overwhelming choice for my 1st visit. Enjoy! :mickey:

vicster
10-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Loved FQ because it is a smaller resort. I'd go back there in a heartbeat. Also enjoyed the boat ride to the Marketplace. You made a good choice.

Sunshine1010
10-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks everyone. This lady made me a little nervous, but ya'll have 'calmed my nerves'. THANKS!!!!!

LittleRoosMommy
10-24-2011, 01:59 PM
We just returned last Sunday from our first visit at POFQ! We loved it!!! It was so quiet and the grounds were beautiful! We could let our DDs run ahead of us and not worry about cars, etc. We were in building 1 and although it was further out, it was still only about a 5min walk to the main building and about 10min to the bus stop. The foodcourt was great! DDs loved the pool!

I hope you have a great stay!

darthmacho
10-24-2011, 03:06 PM
As someone that prefers POR to POFQ, I'd say don't have any doubts about your choice. POFQ is a fine resort, and if you want to partake in any activities at POR, such as carriage rides, boat rentals, dining at Boatwright's, swim in their pool, or just take a walk there, it's literally a 5-10 minute walk or a short boat ride over there.

POFQ is beautiful in its own right. It hearkens to a New Orleans city block, but a much quieter and more family friendly environment. The pool is excellent, and the cafeteria is smaller than POR, but it seems to have slightly more authentic fare. It's apparently the only place to get those famous WDW beignets!

So, feel good about your choice. Evaluate the resorts on your visit. Enjoy what you're getting at FQ, and if you do decide that you like POR better, there's always next trip! :mickey:

Yo Mickey!
10-24-2011, 10:32 PM
we've stayed at both resorts several times and enjoy both places for different reasons.

pofq = intimate, easy for bus stop (iirc it was always the first stop for pick up and drop off from mk) and had a great pool. agreed on the beignets and i like the pool bar better.

por = better place to dine, much more lush, has a fun lounge in the evening that serves abita beer (mmm, the purple haze on tap is excellent).

no matter where you stay you can enjoy both. my favorite is and always will be going for my morning runs along the river and all around both resorts.

Sunshine1010
10-25-2011, 01:01 AM
Awesome. You guys are the best.

WDWCrazyKaren
10-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Another person here who loves POFQ! It has become our absolute favorite resort. Have stayed 3 times at POR, and it is certainly lush and green and beautiful, POFQ is still our favorite. Just getting to the parks is SO much easier! One bus stop, and close to every building, and it was never busy, anywhere. POR always felt overwhelming to me by it's sheer size, not so with POFQ. The pool is nice if you have younger kids. And I see you have free dining...Biegnets from the food court are an AWESOME breakfast (or any time treat) and only a snack credit. Don't forget to try them!

Sunshine1010
10-25-2011, 09:42 AM
My son is 10. I just hope the weather will be nice enough to swim (Nov. 11-20). Think it will be warm enough?

I will definitely have to try the famous Beignets!!!!!

Yo Mickey!
10-25-2011, 10:04 AM
My son is 10. I just hope the weather will be nice enough to swim (Nov. 11-20). Think it will be warm enough?

I will definitely have to try the famous Beignets!!!!!

yeah, you should be fine on weather. we will be at bcv dec 2-10 and are hoping for good weather as well, but we have always had good luck in early nov. there may be a day here or there but generally it is pretty nice. we always try and get a day in at blizzard as well so are crossing our fingers for some high 70's/low 80's in dec.

Patricia
10-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Swimming weather tends to depend on where you're from. The average high - low temps for Nov are 59-79.

My kids are in the pools in December and January.. but they think the heated pools are lovely coming from a snowy climate.

Now, I'm off to make some beignets. Sigh.

garymacd
10-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Love both, but especially love POFQ for its intimacy. Everything is close by, and only one bus stop.

Oh, yeah. Beignets, too!

SAnderson70769
10-26-2011, 08:34 PM
I have never stayed at Riverside but we LOVE French Quarter! It is one of our favorites. Very small and quaint so parking, bus, food court, lobby, etc. all seem close no matter where you are. Also very romantic for adults!

rubato
10-28-2011, 07:09 PM
The thing I loved the most about POFQ was that, after a day of crazy hectic parks, it was calm and peaceful. Very mellow and we could all unwind and relax. I will never stay at another Disney resort.

tinksmom02
10-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Love both, but especially love POFQ for its intimacy. Everything is close by, and only one bus stop.

Oh, yeah. Beignets, too!

EXACTLY. And all the fun of POR--the River Roost, Bob Jackson, their pool, carriage rides--is only a short walk/boat ride away! We're checking in next Saturday, I cannot wait to be "home" at POFQ!

disneydeb
10-28-2011, 09:23 PM
POFQ is a wonderful resort! You are first on and off the bus. It doesn't seem far away from any of the parks.
I wanna go back! NOW!

Butters
11-07-2011, 12:41 PM
We'll be there in Feb, after reading this it can't come fast enough

mousetrapper
11-08-2011, 04:53 PM
This will be our first stay at PO - we chose Riverside but are excited to check out FQ too! All of us in our family are big NOLA lovers!

A question about the carriage rides: do you think I'll be able to play it by ear and book when it's convenient once we're there or should I reserve ahead of time? Just worried because I don't know when we'll have a lull in touring before we go.

thanks!

Yo Mickey!
11-08-2011, 05:11 PM
This will be our first stay at PO - we chose Riverside but are excited to check out FQ too! All of us in our family are big NOLA lovers!

one note about riverside, if you enjoy a cold beer make sure to have an abita on tap in the bar. it's a nola beer and por is the only place at wdw i have ever found it so enjoy!