PDA

View Full Version : Tipping on Board

wildernesslady
10-23-2011, 07:50 PM
I know that most of the service crew receive tips. Do you also tip the childcare counselors? I have never gotten an envelope for them; but also have never brought a child.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
10-23-2011, 09:30 PM
great question! I need to know that one too!

Ed
10-23-2011, 10:55 PM
The question has come up before, and the short answer is that like any gratuity, it is appropriate if the service rendered merits it. It is considered "optional" on DCL (which is why you don't get an envelope for them), but from what I've read on a few cruise-related boards, it seems a majority of parents do tip the counselors.

ElenitaB
10-24-2011, 06:21 PM
"Tipping" the counselors is slightly different than tipping the other people who render services (such as your waiters, room steward, etc.) in that they are not (or weren't) allowed to accept cash tips. I've heard of many who would give them phone cards, but have also heard of people giving them store gift cards or boxed or bagged candy. I'm not sure if it's still true but rumor has it that the counselors pooled all their tips. When we cruised, I had a stash of Starbucks and Target gift cards just for this purpose. I also made sure to mention the CM who my DS most enjoyed being with, by name on the comment card.

janebanks
12-10-2011, 12:39 PM
In retrospect, I wish I'd thought of a way to tip the counselors. DCL does not make it easy, as they don't provide an envelope. I wasn't sure how to do it this trip, but will figure out a way next time. Glad to hear they pool the tips.