PDA

View Full Version : 5 YO - scared of the dark!

sonamae80
10-21-2011, 01:07 PM
We just recently got back from a short trip to Disney. Stayed at the AKL and hit each of the parks at least twice! My DD was PETRIFIED of the parts of some rides where it gets pitch black! She wouldn't even go on Nemo & Friends, and that was one of her favorites when she first went (in 2009). So, we are already planning another trip (June 2012) and I'm already preparing for her to be scared! Is there anything I can do for her to help her see that there's nothing to be scared of? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! ;) :mickey:

Patricia
10-21-2011, 01:15 PM
I've seen many people using mini flashlights with children that are afraid of the dark. Seems to help in the dark spots if the child can hold it. Don't worry about annoying anyone, I've never seen anyone bothered by this practice.

WDWdreamer87
10-21-2011, 01:41 PM
glow sticks. Glow in the dark stickers/tattoos she can look at if she gets too scared.

sommer
10-21-2011, 01:47 PM
We used mini flashlights too - they helped somewhat. It also helped to talk to him during that time. My DS3 was scared to death of the Nemo ride. He has already said he's not going on it again. I think it was the volume of a lot of the rides that scared him - they are waayyy too loud. I don't know how many rides/shows I spent the whole time covering his ears - while he covered his eyes. :) My DS7 was also a little scared of the dark parts.

Mogie
10-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Im 30 years old...and I still run up the basement stairs when I turn the light off because I feel like something is chasing me in the dark.

TinkerbellsMom
10-22-2011, 08:09 AM
When our DD was going through this phase at WDW, we brought a pocketsize flashlight that had a keyring type clip on it. We clipped it to her shorts and told her when she was scared, she could put the light on, but could only flash it on her shoes or within the vehicle. It did wonders for calming her fears and we found as the trip went on she used the flashlight less. I think it had something to do with the fact that she had control over using her flashlight.

AgentC
10-22-2011, 08:49 AM
My son has been in the scared in the dark phase since he was 3. He is now almost 6.

Here is what has worked for us:

Small flashlight
Glow necklace with glow charm
Watching the ride on YouTube so he knows what to expect.
Talking to someone who had been on the ride about what happens.

What works really depends on the ride. For example he has told me he is never going in The Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean. In those cases either the concept is too scary or he has memories of the darkness from riding before. For these rides, we discuss them from time to time and when he shows interest we will try again.

BrerGnat
10-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Ok, I'm going to be honest here.

If your child is scared of the dark, and really has a true fear, don't make her ride the dark rides. Skip the rides that scare her for now, or take turns waiting with her while the rest of the party rides.

All the flashlights and glow sticks in the world don't take away the fear. Trust me.

If you push it, and take her on regardless, you will end up shooting yourself in the foot for YEARS as she will flat out refuse to trust you about rides in the future, and you'll be relegated to the same couple rides over and over and over again. ;)

Let HER decide what she wants to ride. If the rest of the family wants to ride, don't make her feel badly about it. Eventually, the fear will go away, and she'll want to experience the fun that everyone else is having. For now, though, remember that she is only 5. Think about when YOU were five. Most kids have some sort of fear, and you should respect that.

My boys are the same way. They are now 5 and 7. They had no fear when they were 2, 3. But it's been a good several years since we've been on Pirates, Thunder Mountain, and several other rides that used to be okay, but now are not, for whatever reason. We want them to have fun at WDW, not be anxiety ridden about the experience. We follow their lead and do what they want to do for now.

AgentC
10-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Ok, I'm going to be honest here.

If your child is scared of the dark, and really has a true fear, don't make her ride the dark rides. Skip the rides that scare her for now, or take turns waiting with her while the rest of the party rides.

I was trying to say this but Natalie said it so much better than my post did. So ditto. :)

The only thing I will add is you know your child best. With my son, I know when a little help will get him through something a little scary and when it won't. If it won't, we don't even try.

E-Ticket4
10-22-2011, 11:15 PM
I may be the only dissenter, but if the ride is meant to be dark at that time, and you are on a ride with others, then it should be dark. Everyone else on the ride is enjoying the dark parts and it is what makes the ride unique at those parts. Having someone light up the ride can spoil the ride for the others on the ride. I speak from example, having riden with a flashlight mom with her young daughter sitting in front of me on Pirates. I too thought that if her daughter was afraid of the dark at that point in her life, then so be it. But don't spoil the ride for others by lighting up the boat. I just think that rides should be enjoyed as they were meant to be and if your not following "the rules" of that ride (darkness) then you are maybe spoiling the ride for others.
I got 2 kids who don't like Splash Mountain due to the drop - too bad for them, I'm going on it anyway! Maybe someday they will.
My 2 cents and I don't mean to hurt any feelings or start any arguments - we all love Disney.:mickey:

BrerGnat
10-23-2011, 07:44 AM
I, too, find any sort of lighting that should not be part of a ride, distracting. Cell phone, video camera, flashlight, glow stick, etc. It's all the same....annoying!

K8screen
10-23-2011, 11:18 AM
WDW is supposed to be a vacation. Its supposed to be fun, and bring the family closer together. If a child doesnt want to ride, he/she should know no one is going to put pressure on them to ride it. If you talk a child into riding something he doesnt want to, and he hates it, he will find it very difficult to trust you again. If he knows you are going to try this before you go, he will not be looking forward to the trip, he will be dreading it. I promise you your child will grow out of their fear in their own time, and just think of all the things that will be new to them on that next trip!
I'm not trying to lecture anyone, I know you are good parents or you wouldnt have asked, but we made this mistake to some extent, and I have seen other kids absolutely terrified. I'm sure you will do whats right for your child.