PDA

View Full Version : Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique no longer allows adult participation

Goofy4TheWorld
10-18-2011, 10:26 PM
I noticed in an email of WDW updates that BBB will no longer allow adults to participate, only children age 3-12. It started September 30 and only appointments made prior to 9/30 will allow adult participation.

As a man with two sons I am as far away as you can get from someone who cares, but since I didn't see it posted anywhere on the boards I thought I would pass it along.

I know I have seen a few adults post here about doing it, and I remember one who even spent hundreds on the job!

DizneyRox
10-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Disney refusing to take money? Something's not right... Maybe it just got too creepy and the cast complained...

SBETigg
10-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Disney refusing to take money? Something's not right... Maybe it just got too creepy and the cast complained...

It seems like this was really popular and hard to book. Maybe they decided to focus on kids instead of adults to make sure the magic really happens for the little ones, and parents who want it for the little ones. If it is something like that, I can understand Disney making kids the priority. Also, generally, with a few exceptions, parents probably spend more on kids than most women will spend on themselves with something like that as far as tie in sales with outfits, accessories, etc. If they had to limit their audience, it makes sense to stick with the ones most affected by the magic, and most profitable overall.

Diznee4Me
10-19-2011, 07:55 AM

Before I even scrolled down to your post I was thinking the same exact thing! :D

RBrooksC
10-19-2011, 08:06 AM
I think this is a good idea. I am sorry, an adult woman doing something like this is a little much. This is a service for little girls.

With that being said, I have a little girl and it would take quite a lot to drop money into this. I will always view this as a money-sink.

Cassieblanca
10-19-2011, 08:07 AM
I don't see what's so creepy about it. Disney is supposed to be the one place and adult can be a kid and not be judged for it.

Butters
10-19-2011, 08:29 AM
12 seems a little young though... My DD is only 1 so not quite sure what teen girls are into, but I would think they should have made the cut off around 14 or 15

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-19-2011, 08:33 AM
12 seems a little young though... My DD is only 1 so not quite sure what teen girls are into, but I would think they should have made the cut off around 14 or 15

:ditto: That was my first thought! I have no problem with it being a "kids" experience, but 12 is young, I'm sure there are some younger teenagers who would also enjoy it, maybe the cut-off should have been 16?

I'm just glad it doesn't apply to the Pirate's League, DD (now 13, will be 14 on next trip) is already asking if she can do it again.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-19-2011, 08:43 AM
I don't see what's so creepy about it. Disney is supposed to be the one place and adult can be a kid and not be judged for it.

I agree and one of the cutest pictures of the BBB I ever saw was a 90 year old woman going on her birthday and getting all princessed up.

SBETigg
10-19-2011, 09:49 AM

I'm guessing their research showed they didn't have many customers in that age range. I can't imagine it was really popular with young teens, when they become blase and want to be cool. Dressing up like a princess is probably not what most, with exceptions, girls in that age group want to do. My daughter wouldn't have done it after age 8, from 8-16. She would probably do it on a lark again now that's she's past that awkward, rebellious teen stage. If they have to cut it off somewhere, 12 makes a lot of sense to me.

biodtl
10-19-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm guessing their research showed they didn't have many customers in that age range. I can't imagine it was really popular with young teens, when they become blase and want to be cool.
You're probably right, but if they don't get may customers in that age group, why not keep it open to a little older than 12? If there aren't many - it doesn't put much of a burden on them. I think a few years older wouldn't make much of a difference, and it could make a few more girls happy. Plus - what about special needs kids? I have a friend with a teen daughter who is mentally much younger and she would LOVE do do it.

TinkerBeth21
10-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Plus - what about special needs kids? I have a friend with a teen daughter who is mentally much younger and she would LOVE do do it.

I'm sure if your friend called they would make an exception for a special needs kid.

I know when I was an upper teen I would have loved to do this, but it wasn't around then.

crltkcagle
10-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Just as long as I can still do the empress package at the Pirate's League I am still a happy girl! LOL :D

mickey_M_lvr
10-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Ok let me get this correct......It is "Creepy" for an adult female to want to be a princess...but not "creepy" to want to be made over into a pirate??? :confused:

The biggest reason I think everyone goes to disney is to be a kid again and not be judged for what they do...within boundries.

And I may take some heat for this but....I would love to do it. I would go to BBB...and I would love every minute of it. :princess:

DizneyRox
10-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Maybe they are noticing a disturbing trend in the arrest reports from the Orange Blossom Trail area that Disney wants to distance themselves from.

There has to be some reason for disney turning away money, it's just not Disney like.

Aurora
10-20-2011, 06:36 PM
I think it's more likely what SBETigg said -- that families are trying to make appointments for their kids and can't get in because those appointments are being taken by adults, and that adults don't buy the costumes, etc.

Not that I ever did this, but I can see complaining if I tried to get my little girl in and couldn't, and then saw a bunch of adults getting the princess treatment. It would seem a little backward.

Disney Doll
10-21-2011, 11:48 AM
To each their own, but to me there is a big difference in enjoying Disney with the heart of a child and doing a princess makeover as an adult. That just seems a bit much to me and I appreciate Disney for making kids the priority.

buzznwoodysmom
10-21-2011, 03:15 PM

This is what I was thinking as well. I was thinking the cut off should have been around 14. I know a few 13 and 14 year old girls who absolutely don't think they are too old for this kind of thing, and would love to do it if they went to WDW.

WDW-fanatic
10-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Creepy, strange, ridiculous adult here and proud of it! I actually had a make-over at the BBB as an adult. It was several years ago when the DTD location first opened. My step-daughter (she was 9 at the time) and I did it as a “girl’s day”. We just did the basic hair & make-up and we laughed the whole time. We had so much fun. It was a great day that we still talk about years later. It is one of the greatest memories I have out of our many trips to WDW. I hoped other families would get a chance to have that same experience. I get that is it hard to get into BBB now, but so are some of the character breakfasts. We have been shut out of Ohana the last 5 trips and the kids are disappointed each time. The age change presents a snag in a trip we are planning for next year: we have girls under 12 & two 14 year olds that all wanted to try to get in to the BBB together. Because of this plan for our next trip, I actually emailed Disney to see what prompted this change. I got a call back and was told that it was to keep it in line with what Disneyland’s policy is. That BBB has an age range. She mentioned that the Harmony Barber shop had some packages for girls and boys that currently have no age limits. She also said that if they continue to get more comments from guests about the changes, they may revisit the policy.

Ian
10-26-2011, 06:59 PM
I don't see what's so creepy about it. Disney is supposed to be the one place and adult can be a kid and not be judged for it.Yeah, I agree. It's not something I would do, but I always thought it was pretty special to see Mom's and their daughters getting makeovers together. That's what Walt built his parks for ... so parents and their kids could have fun at the same place doing the same things.

Remember what he said ...

I felt that there should be something built where the parents and the children could have fun together.

Seems pretty clear to me!

12 seems a little young though... My DD is only 1 so not quite sure what teen girls are into, but I would think they should have made the cut off around 14 or 15There's a gap in between where princesses are totally uncool. My DD dropped them like a bad habit after kindergarten, but casual observation shows that interest picks back up again in the very early teens (13, 14).

joanna71985
10-26-2011, 07:42 PM
I think it's sad that Disney would make a cutoff age for BBB

Punkygirl25
02-12-2012, 09:29 PM
I find it sad also adult women want to be princess to isn't that why you come to Disney.I feel they may find it just as enjoyable as any child as when you enter Disney you become a child.I don't know why they couldn't use another place for adults to get it done.Sure you can't get the outfit but why not have a place for adult women to do a Bibbidi Bobbidi style make makeover even if not in the same place the littles girls go .

Sure adult women don't want the outfit but Disney could offer real Terra's like the ones at flower shop that are for adults,bracelets,neckless,etc I know a lot of husband /boyfriends who would pay to get their princess a princess style adult kind of make over and have special package for teen girls.I think even a teen would like new hair style and jewelry to go long with it.One of those Terra's cost 135 bucks as much as or more then price of a Bibbidi Bobbidi dress.I think a lot of women would like such a make over.

waymickey
02-15-2012, 07:45 AM

I agree . I would never do this since I am all about Mickey not the princesses, however cinderella was a woman ,old enough to run off and get married . Why then is this creepy for adults to do?

ronandjulie
02-15-2012, 07:58 AM
A few years ago, I looked all around WDW for an authentic Capt Jack Sparrow costume for halloween and there was none to be found. I asked why they don't have them and a CM told me that they didn't want guests dressing like WDW characters in their parks confusing other guests. I wonder if this decision may be for similar reasons and that maybe young children thought these women were the "real" princesses. Just a thought

SBETigg
02-15-2012, 09:13 AM
A few years ago, I looked all around WDW for an authentic Capt Jack Sparrow costume for halloween and there was none to be found. I asked why they don't have them and a CM told me that they didn't want guests dressing like WDW characters in their parks confusing other guests. I wonder if this decision may be for similar reasons and that maybe young children thought these women were the "real" princesses. Just a thought

That is actually a good point. The only time they like to have adults dressed up in parks is during the Halloween parties at the MK, otherwise it is discouraged and usually not allowed. Though, I did run into two women in Epcot dressed as princesses once (Jasmine and I think Belle)-- and they seemed a little questionably sleazy, if you know what I mean, like they were there to sell something. I believe it was Ian who saw the same women, as we discussed in my trip report. That's more than just confusing, it's damaging to the brand. I was surprised they were even let in. So maybe there's a good reason for the rule.

DVC2004
02-15-2012, 12:45 PM
I don't know, i personally wouldn't be interested for myself but I agree anyone who wants to it should be open to. There must be a reason...someone mentioned about adults not buying the costumes, booking up timeslots, etc maybe that is it, losing money. Not sure! Probably we'll never know.

My neice did this on her first trip, we all were there together that time. She was about 7 and my sister got the basic package (still at the time almost $50 I think) and it was great. She felt really special and enjoyed the attention she got all day. I have boys but they were a little older when the pirate makeover came out so they never did it. But it seems fun and I wouldn't care if adults do it.

Obietiger
02-15-2012, 01:58 PM
I would do this for my lady if they had place for adults she would love it.They should just get some regular dresses not princess ones just nice ones that they sell at the Disney store for adults ,adult Terra's,jeweral,add hair and make_up,nails package,maybe some earrings stuff like that create a package at one of the saloons .Whats the big deal people over 12 want it so make it.I bet a lot of women would do this before going to dinner or something.

It shouldn't be a big deal for anyone to do it .Your at Disney having fun and your not hurting anyone so what if an adult lady wants to be a princess then she should come to the place where they make dreams come true and become one.
:number1:

WDW-fanatic
02-15-2012, 02:23 PM
I actually emailed Disney to see what prompted this change.

I got a call back from Disney and was told that it was to keep it in line with what Disneyland’s BBB policy is. That BBB has an age range.

She mentioned that the Harmony Barber shop had some packages for girls and boys that currently have no age limits.

She also said that if they continue to get more negative feedback from guests about the changes, they may revisit the policy.

LVT
02-15-2012, 05:23 PM
If there are not enough appointment spaces for all the potential under 12's then I agree that adults can understand that there are limited spaces.

darthmacho
02-15-2012, 05:32 PM

I agree completely. My daughter just turned 11, so I'm thinking I might have to fit this in this year! :(

AlwaysDisney
02-16-2012, 01:53 PM
My DD is 14 and last year when she was 13, she did the BBB and loved it. All the CM's were great and bowed to her and told her that she wonderful and beautiful and called her princess, she loved the attention. Now maybe that is not the norm for that age (she is a normal 14 yo), but she would love to do it again. She loves Disney and loves that she got to be a "real" princess for a day! Like someone said, if there is not much call for that age, then why not let them do it? They won't take up that many appointments and after all it is Disney!!! Where a kid can be a kid!!! JMHO:mickey:

TheVBs
02-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Twelve definitely seems too young if they feel they have to do a cut off age. And, why not still let adults and older kids do it on a walk up, or day of basis? If they're completely booking up with younger kids, I understand that someone trying to get in last minute will be pretty disappointed, but at least it's a chance if someone cancels.

Patricia
02-19-2012, 12:32 PM
I've never given it much thought before, but I found this on the WDW site.

Attire that is not appropriate for the theme parks (and which may result in refusal of admittance) includes but is not limited to:
Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as representative of an actual Disney character

Further down it states:

A Guest is allowed into the parks if her or his hair (or make-up, if applicable) has been made to resemble a Disney Princess or character (for example, after a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique makeover) provided the Guest is not also wearing a costume or clothed to look like the character.

So, I guess they will remove that last statement.

LoriSan
02-19-2012, 08:51 PM
I think it's more likely what SBETigg said -- that families are trying to make appointments for their kids and can't get in because those appointments are being taken by adults, and that adults don't buy the costumes, etc.

Not that I ever did this, but I can see complaining if I tried to get my little girl in and couldn't, and then saw a bunch of adults getting the princess treatment. It would seem a little backward.

Sorry, but I totally disagree. If I get a reservation because I acted quickly, why should I not be able to use the service based on my age? What is next? Denying ADR's to character meals if you don't have a child with you?

Obietiger
02-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Sorry, but I totally disagree. If I get a reservation because I acted quickly, why should I not be able to use the service based on my age? What is next? Denying ADR's to character meals if you don't have a child with you?

I agree with you Lorisan I think this nothing more
Then a bunch of parents who wait until the last second to try and make an appointment then are told they should try to walk in and when they see an adults waiting they expect the adults to give up their appointment they have had for months just because they are grown_up for child who's parents waited until the last second to try to get their child in so they complain.

Popular attractions at Disney book up that's just
The way it is.We have been more then one time and still can't get into Chief Mickeys but we just accept it and wait our turn and will call early next time to make sure we get in.Its first come first serve in some cases .

AmandaChan
02-20-2012, 09:08 PM
I guess everyone will just have to go to the barber shop? I wonder do they kind of style your hair and put glitter in it? I know they do it for kids.

Obietiger
02-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Periwigs just informed me that due to high demand and an insane number of phone calls from irate adult princesses asking for the Bippity Boppity make_over they now offer one. :mickey::mickey::thumbsup: They have the same makeup and nail polish and can either do a hair piece or curls. The cost is 80 for hair 70 for makeup and 37 for nails. Not too shabby...but still not the Boutique! :angry: :nope:

Cinderelley
02-29-2012, 02:44 AM
My friends and I will definitely be writing Disney about this. We loved our appointment before Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, and we are nowhere close to 12 years old. They don't sell the costumes to adults, so there's no chance of mistaking them for characters. I also wanted to do it with my daughter on our next trip. If a lack of appointments is the issue, move it out of the store and into its own larger building. They have plenty of empty buildings in Downtown Disney now.

Jenniferbates
11-11-2013, 08:50 AM
I noticed in an email of WDW updates that BBB will no longer allow adults to participate, only children age 3-12. It started September 30 and only appointments made prior to 9/30 will allow adult participation.

As a man with two sons I am as far away as you can get from someone who cares, but since I didn't see it posted anywhere on the boards I thought I would pass it along.

I know I have seen a few adults post here about doing it, and I remember one who even spent hundreds on the job!

Disney refuses to listen to the people complaining or do anything for them .Disney doesn't care about there guest anymore and has lost the magic.They don't ask for proof of age to do this nor can they if you really want to do it make the appointment anyway they can't prove your not a really big 12 year old.i know people who are over 12 who lied about there age and have done it.if you get there and there and they refuse to do it for you raise a fuss but do it nicely there are kids around.They refuse to allow a place for people over 12 to do this and people over 12 by the thousandths complain about it so if the refuse to listen don't give up with out a fight.Guess what Disney people will do it anyway so why take away the age limit or create another place for people over 12 to do it your not stopping us.you have adult sized tee shirts so there no reason why an adult shouldn't be able to do this.:mad:

mickclub1955
11-11-2013, 10:49 AM
My favorite episode of the Big Bang Theory is where the girls go to DL and do the BBB. They show them dressed as the princess though. Loved the fight in the car over who was going to be Cinderella.

TheVBs
11-11-2013, 02:17 PM
I get that people are disappointed not to be able to do this. But, lying to get the appointment, then kicking up a fuss with some poor CM who's just trying to adhere to the rules is just about the most irresponsible thing I've ever heard.

Have not seen that Big Bang episode yet! Can't wait.

Buttercup
11-11-2013, 06:56 PM
I get that people are disappointed not to be able to do this. But, lying to get the appointment, then kicking up a fuss with some poor CM who's just trying to adhere to the rules is just about the most irresponsible thing I've ever heard.
Uhhh, yeah. And I think posting about breaking Disney's rules goes against Intercot's terms of service, no?

Middle of the Map
11-11-2013, 11:27 PM
Ok let me get this correct......It is "Creepy" for an adult female to want to be a princess...but not "creepy" to want to be made over into a pirate??? :confused:

The biggest reason I think everyone goes to disney is to be a kid again and not be judged for what they do...within boundries.

And I may take some heat for this but....I would love to do it. I would go to BBB...and I would love every minute of it. :princess:

If Disney is smart, they should set up an adult boutique and charge a bundle for the Princess package. There appears to be plenty of interest.

stephicakes
11-12-2013, 05:36 AM
Ummm... maybe it's just me (and I'm NOT trying to sound harsh here!)... but as an adult woman, if I want to play "princess" I will just get my hair & nails done at a spa, get a spray tan, put my makeup & lashes on, and have my hubby take me out on the town for a night (or DD). :cool: I think I'll leave the BBB for the girls 12 and under...

just sayin' :)

Aurora
11-12-2013, 10:43 AM
You know, I don't hear a bunch of adult males complaining that the Jedi Training Academy is only for kids aged 4 to 12. Maybe I just missed it. :shake:

joanna71985
11-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Disney refuses to listen to the people complaining or do anything for them .Disney doesn't care about there guest anymore and has lost the magic.They don't ask for proof of age to do this nor can they if you really want to do it make the appointment anyway they can't prove your not a really big 12 year old.i know people who are over 12 who lied about there age and have done it.if you get there and there and they refuse to do it for you raise a fuss but do it nicely there are kids around.They refuse to allow a place for people over 12 to do this and people over 12 by the thousandths complain about it so if the refuse to listen don't give up with out a fight.Guess what Disney people will do it anyway so why take away the age limit or create another place for people over 12 to do it your not stopping us.you have adult sized tee shirts so there no reason why an adult shouldn't be able to do this.:mad:

Actually, I'm sure the CMs there can turn guests away if they knowingly book an appointment (and are over the age limit). Plus, it is not right to "raise a fuss" when you lie to begin with (since it is not the CM's fault)