PDA

View Full Version : Airline security ?

Dyanna
10-17-2011, 11:06 AM
I will be flying out of JFK in 12 days. I remember hearing a few weeks ago that airlines would possibly be stopping the removal of shoes/sneakers at the security checkpoints. Have those that recently flied confirm if this is fact or fiction. Its just annoying as it takes so much time to put the shoes back on after you clear security. I do understand why but it just slows down the process.

Disney Goof
10-17-2011, 11:54 AM
As of right now it is just kids that can keep their shoes on.

DizneyRox
10-17-2011, 12:20 PM
I heard that a number of years ago, and one time a couple of years ago, I didn't take mine off and wasn't asked to remove them. Ever since however (and even the return leg of that trip) I've been asked.

I don't expect it will change, just be glad they don't start asking to remove your underwear...

Wall-e
10-17-2011, 01:08 PM
We flew out of Phoenix and Orlando over the last 2 weeks. Kids 12 and under did not have to remove their shoes.

Dyanna
10-17-2011, 02:08 PM
This will help at least with my 4 yr old DD :-) Thanks :mickey:

vicster
10-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Flew out of Orlando September 30th and had to take shoes off

brivers222
10-17-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't expect it will change, just be glad they don't start asking to remove your underwear...

Flying out of Detroit Metro next month I sure hope this holds up.... especially with the on going trial of the underwear bomber here...

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
10-17-2011, 05:38 PM
I was thinking that the change was only for children. But I always wear slip on shoe when flying because of the hassle of taking them off for check points.

brownie
10-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Sending this one to the Water Cooler. I believe Secretary Napolitano did make a statement that over time one of the first changes we may see is the ending of having to take off our shoes for screening. There is no timeline for that, so I would expect our shoes will be coming for screening for the time being.

Kairi_7378
10-20-2011, 11:11 PM
They made my son take off his shoes at MCO last month. Then I had to argue with him to get them back on!

Hair_Razor
10-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Frequent flyers have been sent emails by their respective airlines, I believe just Delta and American right now. You have to opt in and go through certain check in gates at participating airports. It's a trial run right now. You can check out the details at the TSA website. As for kids shoes I have only seen signs for that in Cbus airport so not sure that all are doing that yet either. Weekly flyer so there's the scoop. Good luck with your travels.

Ed
10-21-2011, 12:41 AM
There's a relatively new pilot program by which kids 12 and under can keep their shoes on. See the TSA Website (http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/screening_under12.shtm) for more info.

There should be signs posted at all airports.