PDA

View Full Version : No Stroller?

TinkerBeth21
10-16-2011, 08:54 PM
We are debating whether to bring a stroller into the parks with us. Our kids are 7 and will be just 3 (the week before arrival). The question came up of what to do with stuff if we don't bring a stroller in? We would have a bag with us, but what do we do with it while on rides? Can they go with, or do we have to leave them somewhere?

T--
10-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Bring a stroller. Rent a double. We were always glad we did. The 7 will climb in more often than you think and it will save your family some exhaustion stress.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
10-16-2011, 09:11 PM
go with the stroller, a double. We just got back with a 7, almost 5 and 1 year old. The 7 year old walked a good amount, but was very happy to ride, esp end of the night going to the transportation!

AgentC
10-16-2011, 11:36 PM
I have a 3 year old and a almost 6 year old.

I find my 3 year old definitely still needs the stroller. She is good about walking but when she is done , she is done and it is much easier to have a stroller to put her in than to carry her.

The 5 year old depends. I've stopped taking a stroller for him a few months ago, but when it is really hot, I find he sometimes needs one too.

Whether or not you can bring the bag on a ride will depend on how big it is. Most rides can accommodate a bag, but it is way easier to have a stroller to keep it in if you are still bring multiple change of clothes, snacks, etc. :mickey:

VWL Mom
10-17-2011, 07:17 AM
We had a great backpack when my kids were little. It was average size but had a small zip-off lunchbox style compartment on the bottom to keep things cold. Never had a problem taking it on the rides.

WDWCrazyKaren
10-17-2011, 08:14 AM
I'd bring a stroller. We used one up until they were at least 6! If your 7 year old isn't a hugely tall child, they would appreciate an opportunity to sit down once in a while. Those 7 year old legs may seem busy when you are just around home, but at Disney, they can give out awfully early!

Aurora
10-17-2011, 09:07 AM
We had considered not bringing a stroller when my little one was 4, because we never used one for him at home.

However we decided to buy a sort-of deluxe umbrella stroller for the trip, and we were very glad. If we hadn't had it for the number of times he got tired, we would have had to carry him or rent a stroller. We were happy we had it going in and out of the parks, and we actually spent less money buying the stroller than we would have spent renting them in the parks. Plus it was nice to have it for bags.

Buttercup
10-17-2011, 09:09 AM
We use a stroller but we never leave anything in it when we go on rides. I'm not that trusting. Plus, I might park my stroller in a discreet area thinking I'm "hiding" anything I've left in the stroller, but inevitably, a cast member is going to come and move your stroller to organize the parking areas so then it might be out in the open for any bad-guy walking by to snatch. So we bring everything with us (except for, say, park maps and half-full bottles of pop, we leave those in the stroller!).

We generally have one backpack - just a regular size - with extra sunscreen, our cameras, a couple bottles of water, and maybe a change of underwear/shorts for our little one in case she has an accident. Just the basics.

We've never had a problem bringing the backpack on any rides. Usually, I'm in charge of getting the kids on the ride and my husband is in charge of the backpack. It works just fine!

BUT DEFINITELY, get a stroller. Your kids might be fine walking around for long distances, but WDW isn't the "norm". Your kids will get tired, quickly. I'd rather push a stroller all day then have my kids melt down from exhaustion, and be forced to rent the uber-expensive, hard plastic Disney strollers.

If you don't want to bring your stroller from home, you can rent strollers for much cheaper than Disney through places like Orlando Stroller Rental or Kingdom Strollers. Their double strollers hold up to 100lbs. so it would probably fit both your kids (even the 7 year old!) and they're very clean, smooth riding and lightweight. Plus they drop them off at your hotel when you arrive, and pick them up when you check-out. So it's very easy and you don't need to lug your own from home on an airplane! You'll see a lot of people with strollers from those places wandering the parks.

Have a great trip!

BrerGnat
10-17-2011, 11:15 AM
With a 3 year old, I'd bring a lightweight umbrella stroller.

Carry a backpack, you can take it everywhere with you.

We are not taking a stroller this trip, but my kids will be 5 and 7. We took one last time when the little guy had just turned 4. However, we probably didn't need it. Shortly after that trip, we ditched the stroller altogether.

darthmacho
10-17-2011, 03:05 PM
I hate using strollers, but to be honest, I think with a three year old, that it would be a necessary evil.

RBrooksC
10-17-2011, 03:20 PM
When we went in May. We rented a city Double Stroller for our five and two year old. The stroller was at the CR when we arrive and all we had to do is drop off the stroller at the front desk when we left.

It was a lot less expensive than the Disney strollers and we had it wherever we went.

sonamae80
10-17-2011, 03:31 PM
We just got back yesterday from WDW and we had rented a single stroller and boy, was I glad I did! My 5 year old DD walked some, and rode some! It was perfect! We are planning on coming back this coming June and bringing my 1 year old! I will have his umbrella stroller and will again rent a single in the parks for the 5 year old! Best way to go! :)

TinkerBeth21
10-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Thank you all! I guess we will not even think about not taking a stroller! We'll bring ours from home (which we bought on the last trip because we didn't want to rent) rather than rent or buy another one (because who needs a third umbrella stroller?).

DisneyMom12
10-17-2011, 05:48 PM
We use a stroller but we never leave anything in it when we go on rides. I'm not that trusting.

I used a small bike lock with a four letter combo to attach my bag to my stroller. I didn't leave anything of real value. I thought if someone went to grab it and the stroller went with it they would just let it go. If nothing else it gave me peace of mind.

Hog
10-17-2011, 06:08 PM
I would vote for no Stoller. My DD didn't have one any of the 3 times she went 2 and a half,3 and a half and 5 years old. She walked the entire time, she didn't even want to get carried or put on shoulders. She got alot enjoyment being able to run up to anything and check it out etc... I frankley can't believe the age of children in strollers at Disney. I saw a 10 year old getting pushed around in a stoller my eyes almost popped out of my head.

greengeen
10-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Yeah, here's another no stroller vote. We have 4 kids. No strollers after age 3. And no big bags or backpacks either. It's a theme park, not a survivalist trial. Bring a small cross body bag to hold a camera, room keys and passes. You would be AMAZED at how much easier everything is if you're not hauling huge strollers and luggage. If the kids get tired, do the right thing and go back to your hotel to rest!

Gator
10-17-2011, 06:41 PM
I was wonering the same thing. I'll have a 7yo, 5yo, and 1yo on the next trip. With just a double stoller, one will always have to walk. This may make for terrible evenings.

Buttercup
10-17-2011, 06:41 PM
I always wonder why people judge each other for whether or not they use a stroller with their older kids. For all we know, the kid has a non-visual impairment that makes it difficult for them to walk long distances. Or maybe they just get tired feet easily and it makes for an easier vacation if the kid isn't sore. Either way, it's nobody's business except the parents. My son (7) NEVER uses a stroller at home - but this will be his first year trying out walking all day every day, and he's nervous about getting sore legs. So we're renting a double anyway (for his 4yo younger sister for sure) on the off chance he needs a break every now and then.
What's the big deal?:confused::twocents:

minnie-mouse
10-17-2011, 07:34 PM
I agree with Buttercup. Every child is different. I honestly prefer to have a stroller to preserve my child's energy for the rest of the day and the long evenings out. My DH and I feel it saves our sanity as well, so we dont have to hearing the kids whine about being tired and sore all day. It really gives our kids a break to sit and relax in a stroller for a bit and we find we get to do more in a day with them. If it makes for a more enjoyable time for the whole family by using a stroller for an older child, then you have to do what's best for you and your children. We also love that we can store snacks and shopping bags in the bottom of our stroller.

ginger19
10-18-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm getting a single stroller for my kids who are 6 and 8. The 6 year old walks slowly and often has trouble regulating her blood sugar so I will definitely need it for her. For a 3 year old, I would definitely bring one as it's a good piece of mind for me not to have her getting run over by people or lost in a crowd when we are walking.