PDA

View Full Version : Please, please, please, put fridges in the Values!

DisneyRN
10-16-2011, 08:46 PM
So, it isn't just $10/day to add a fridge to a Value room...then you get taxed on what you are renting. :thedolls:

So, all in all, we paid almost $12/day and treated the fridge just as well as we did when it was included at the Moderates and Deluxes.

Boo to paying for fridge rental! :mad:

Bethis26fan
10-16-2011, 09:13 PM
we bought us one to take 60 bucks and i can bring it back home for the next trip. Better than $10.00 X 8 nights.

DisneyRN
10-16-2011, 09:21 PM
we bought us one to take 60 bucks and i can bring it back home for the next trip. Better than $10.00 X 8 nights.

Correction, it is more than $10/night with tax. Yuck! :thedolls:

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
10-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Just take a sick kid that needs their medication refrigerated. The cost is greatly reduced. Happened to us a couple times.

Strmchsr
10-17-2011, 09:58 AM

:ditto: Since we go to WDW at least once a year we did this, too. The little cube fridge works great, doesn't take up much space in our van and means we don't have to pay for a fridge at the value. Since my DS11 has diabetes we have to keep his medication cold (and yes I know they'll provide a little medical fridge at the values for this purpose, but those don't work have the time - keeping things too cold or not cold enough).

Seasonscraps
10-17-2011, 10:06 AM
You pay for the fridge in the moderates & deluxes too except that the charge is not itemized...it's part of the room charge.

As a kid, my parents would sometimes get a styrofoam cooler which always worked out well. They are only a couple of bucks and you can get ice from the ice machine. If we were to do that in the future, I'd probably bring a few different sized ziploc bags to be sure foods didn't get soggy (if I was going to store food).

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-17-2011, 10:13 AM
I agree, just put a fridge in the rooms and be done with it.

It really isn't going to add too much cost, and with room rates going up every year anyways, let's just pay for the fridge and move on. :)

buzznwoodysmom
10-17-2011, 10:34 AM
I agree, just put a fridge in the rooms and be done with it.

It really isn't going to add too much cost, and with room rates going up every year anyways, let's just pay for the fridge and move on. :)

Agree with this. Just add $10 to the nightly rates, put them in all rooms, and be done with it.

darthmacho
10-17-2011, 03:12 PM
I agree. I'd rather just get a straight-up price. Here I am, thinking I'm getting such a bargain, then I have to account for the fridge addition. Just put them in and add them to the price.

Mousemates
10-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Agree with this. Just add $10 to the nightly rates, put them in all rooms, and be done with it.

:ditto:

MNNHFLTX
10-17-2011, 05:08 PM
While it would be nice to have fridges in the value resort rooms too, I can understand why they don't do it. Why would anyone pay to stay at the moderate or deluxe resorts if they all had the same amenities (aside from the room size)? And if they raise the room rate then there would be people who wouldn't like that too. I've used a collapsible cooler before at the resorts that didn't offer a fridge and it did well to keep beverages and other necessities cold.

brownie
10-17-2011, 05:36 PM
We've never really needed a fridge, although we'd use one if it's in the room. I'd just as soon not pay for it. Having it as an extra charge on the room is sort of like adding to a Magic Your Way base ticket; you're able to configure your room the way you want it. If they were to add the fridges to all the value rooms, we'd all be paying more each night. Since there are a lot more rooms at the values than at the other resorts, there would probably be cleaning and maintenance issues to consider, too.

buzznwoodysmom
10-17-2011, 05:54 PM
While it would be nice to have fridges in the value resort rooms too, I can understand why they don't do it. Why would anyone pay to stay at the moderate or deluxe resorts if they all had the same amenities (aside from the room size)? And if they raise the room rate then there would be people who wouldn't like that too. I've used a collapsible cooler before at the resorts that didn't offer a fridge and it did well to keep beverages and other necessities cold.

Size of the room and lack of a refrigerator aren't the only differences in a value resort vs. moderate/deluxe resorts. Trust me people will still stay at a moderate or deluxe resort even if the values included a fridge. The other differeneces are slides at the main pools, all but one moderate resort has sit down restaurants, covered bus stop waiting, some resorts have on site spas, and I'm sure there may be other things I'm missing, but the difference between a value and a mod/deluxe definitely go beyond room size and a fridge.

MNNHFLTX
10-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Size of the room and lack of a refrigerator aren't the only differences in a value resort vs. moderate/deluxe resorts. Trust me people will still stay at a moderate or deluxe resort even if the values included a fridge. The other differeneces are slides at the main pools, all but one moderate resort has sit down restaurants, covered bus stop waiting, some resorts have on site spas, and I'm sure there may be other things I'm missing, but the difference between a value and a mod/deluxe definitely go beyond room size and a fridge.Oh, I understand that, Denise, I'm just saying that I don't think it's an amenity that should be put in all the rooms at a value resort. Outside of WDW, you wouldn't expect to have a fridge in a room at a budget hotel--that's something you usually find at a mid to upscale hotel. Just my :twocents:

buzznwoodysmom
10-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Oh, I understand that, Denise, I'm just saying that I don't think it's an amenity that should be put in all the rooms at a value resort. Outside of WDW, you wouldn't expect to have a fridge in a room at a budget hotel--that's something you usually find at a mid to upscale hotel. Just my :twocents:

I totally get what your saying, it just sounded funny the way I read it. The way I read it it sounded like you were suggesting that by having a fridge in a value resort then guests wouldn't bother staying at, and paying for, a mod or deluxe.

Hair_Razor
10-17-2011, 10:06 PM
I'd rather save a few bucks than have a fridge. This last time I was looking to book my room I think that by the time you pay for the extra fee + tax you might as well pay for a moderate room.

TheVBs
10-18-2011, 06:44 AM
Oh, I understand that, Denise, I'm just saying that I don't think it's an amenity that should be put in all the rooms at a value resort. Outside of WDW, you wouldn't expect to have a fridge in a room at a budget hotel--that's something you usually find at a mid to upscale hotel. Just my :twocents:

Actually, to our surprise, the last few budget hotels we've stayed at while on the road to or from somewhere not only had fridges, but also had microwaves and coffee makers!

Renfairwedding
10-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Actually, to our surprise, the last few budget hotels we've stayed at while on the road to or from somewhere not only had fridges, but also had microwaves and coffee makers!

And Free WiFi!!!

Bethis26fan
10-18-2011, 09:46 AM
And Free WiFi!!!

I would rather have free wifi over any of the other features. It would just be nice when you get back to the room at night to upload some pictures so my familyl at home can see all the fun we are having.

Goofy4TheWorld
10-18-2011, 09:55 AM
I'd rather save a few bucks than have a fridge.

I too hope they keep the fridges out of the Values. It is very easy for many travelers to bring a cooler to keep a few drinks or milk cold, the ice machines are plentiful. I would rather them go as cheap as they can for something many people just don't need.

and

And Free WiFi!!!
But did those budge hotels offer to pick you (and your luggage) up at the airport, then provide you free transportation (and free package delivery) for the duration of your stay? Disney can't offer every benefit at every level of resort without closing the price gap between Value & Moderate. Purchasing, maintaining, and powering 8,640 mini-fridges would not be an insignificant expense for Disney.

Renfairwedding
10-18-2011, 11:52 AM
But did those budge hotels offer to pick you (and your luggage) up at the airport, then provide you free transportation (and free package delivery) for the duration of your stay? Disney can't offer every benefit at every level of resort without closing the price gap between Value & Moderate. Purchasing, maintaining, and powering 8,640 mini-fridges would not be an insignificant expense for Disney.

That is why Disney's "Value resorts charge a much higher rate that some of the surrounding hotels.

Retail a small refrigerator cost $60 to $80. With Disney's buying power I would think they would get a greatly reduced rate. Most people rent the units for a week or two covering the purchase cost. After that is pure profit. if the new fridges are energy star rated the cost of electricity to a facility as large as Walt Disney World would be insignificant. No matter what after the pay back on the units it dose not cost $10 a day to power.

Add a few bucks per day to the room rate and the cost will be recovered in short time.

I travel with my own refrigerator myself. It a little larger than the medical unit and has a freezer. It makes a trip so much nicer to come back to the room to cold drinks and snacks.

TheVBs
10-18-2011, 02:42 PM

Nope, fair point! We're happy with what Disney's values have to offer. A fridge would be nice, but we do just fine with a cooler as well. I only posted about those budget hotels because it came as a surprise to us to see those items included!

PETE FROM NYC
10-18-2011, 04:33 PM
I need a fridge for my insulin.
When we stayed at ASMo in 07, the minifridge had a freezer. That was great so I could freeze my ice packs for my insulin cooler.
When we stayed at Pop in 09, there was no freezer. When I called to complain, the front desk said to either rent a larger fridge, or go to luggage services and have them put the ice packs in their large freezer, dropping them off at night and retrieving them in the AM. It was inconvenient, but we took the second option.

klb
10-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Having it as an extra charge on the room is sort of like adding to a Magic Your Way base ticket; you're able to configure your room the way you want it. If they were to add the fridges to all the value rooms, we'd all be paying more each night.

I just had visions of Disney starting the "Accomodations Your Way" Package. You get a base rate for the square footage but get charged extra for beds, toilets, etc. ;)