PDA

View Full Version : Plex and Lettripp's Epic Honeymoon! Part 6 - AK and DTD

lettripp
10-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Tuesday, Animal Kingdom and Downtown Disney

Cast:
Plex - Paul - DH :D
Lettripp - Lauryn - Wife! :D

As I’m sure you aren’t surprised, the night before was a late one and resulted in us cringing at the thought of a 7:30 breakfast reservation. Thank goodness for the MobileMagic app! I was able to cancel our early breakfast and make another reservation for a later, more reasonable time (like 9am) so we could sleep off the effects of the Biergarten.

This was our first experience with Kona and the Tonga Toast and oh my goodness was it worth waking up for. I consider myself quite the carbohydrate addict but anything rolled in cinnamon and sugar is enough to inspire an addiction. Also, the strawberry sauce was the same caliber of the raspberry sauce from Koussina… I could have drunk it with a spoon. On the way out our waitress gave us coffee and soda to go as well as chocolate congratulations cupcakes (Cake for breakfast?! Ordinarily this would have ROCKED but today we were stuffed!). We practically rolled ourselves out of the Poly and headed for a bus to Animal Kingdom.

My notes are sparse on AK and this park is still a ½ day place for us. Who knows, maybe with Avatar that will change but on this trip, we were out of there by mid afternoon. All I know for sure on this day was that it was raining and thanks to a mass exodus from the park, we had no problem hitting all of our favorite attractions. We rode Everest several times, walked on to Dinosaur, and did the safari. I will say that the safari was ever so slightly more disappointing after visiting the drive-through zoo but our driver was cool and took time after we parked to explain the new long tour of the savannah. I was particularly excited when I saw the rope bridge hanging over the alligators (or crocodiles… I can never remember). We walked through Dinoland and I also decided it was a good day to have a turkey leg… and it turns out I was wrong because I wound up sick later while we were waiting for the bus!

We arrived at DTD via Old Key West and headed over to see if Characters in Flight was running. We figured this would be the perfect romantic honeymoon-thing-to-do… and it wasn’t running because of the weather ☹. We decided not to waste the rest of the day and went over to Disney Quest. Neither of us had ever been in before and were pleasantly surprised (one of us more so than the other *cough cough Paul). We waited in line for the Buzz Lightyear go-cart-thing, and while in line Paul stood drooling over the authentic/original Donky Kong machine. Unfortunately every time he tried to head for it on our trip, someone was playing! Apparently it is very popular indeed!

We didn’t stay long at DTD before we had to head to Animal Kingdom Lodge for our reservations at Sanaa. This bus ride was epic. First of all, the side door on the bus was broken, so ever time we stopped the driver had to get off and snap it closed manually. Then, as we were approaching the AKL, we noticed that the steering wheel was broken as well… yes, the STEERINGWHEEL. Every time he tried to turn it, it cranked up and down, like it wouldn’t lock. When we got off the bus we kissed the ground and were happy to hear that that bus would be headed to repairs next. *pfew*

We had a short wait for our ressie at Sanaa so we walked out onto the patio and looked at the animals. What a neat place to stay! Someday we will totally take advantage of this resort but in the meantime, we were just happy to be there to eat. Our meal at Sanaa was amazing. Paul cooks curry for me at home but he knows my lack-of-spicy tolerance and tones it down for me. I asked our waitress what I could eat if I don’t like spicy food and she pointed to 3 things on the menu. Unfortunately, no curry but I had the African chicken with butternut squash sauce and it was amazing. Another hit. Paul had the spiciest things on the menu (of course) and was happy as well. We shared the chai crème desert and left satisfied.

Tonight was the night we decided to watch Wishes from the Top of the World Lounge. We took the bus back to MK and walked to BLT just in time to head into the private elevator and make it to the top. Paul got us drinks and I found us a spot on the wall outside. Wishes (my favorite thing about any Disney park btw) starts and… the tween next to us started talking. I love this show primarily for the music… so this spot would not do. We moved and watched the show in peace, next to a family with little *quiet* kids. And of course, I cried through the whole show, as usual.

SBETigg
10-16-2011, 12:59 PM
The curry at AKL is pretty toned down. I'm pretty sure you could have handled it. But no matter, because you liked your chicken meal (which also sounds good). I love Sanaa! I think I would also love the Top of the World lounge. I'm glad you found a new, quieter spot.

faline
10-16-2011, 03:43 PM
You moved around quite a lot today! Sounds like a prime spot for watches Wishes!

pdrlkr
10-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: