View Full Version : Hitting the Beach (Club) - Dining Report/Table Service

SBETigg
10-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Our Diners:
Sherri, birthday girl
Sean, accommodating husband.

Tuesday Oct 4- Sunday Oct 9 2011

Grand Floridian Cafe, Grand Floridian Resort- Lunch:
We dined here so many times on our honeymoon that the cast members knew us by name, and it remains a sentimental favorite. I love that the atmosphere reminds me of my grandmother's favorite tea room that she used to take me to growing up, or maybe the conservatory from the house in Clue, all white, green, and flowers.

In it's earliest form, we used to love The Grand Sandwich- Open-faced hot Ham, Turkey, Bacon, and Tomato with a rich Boursin Cheese Sauce and Fried Onion Straws. But having tried it on our last visit, we had to give it a pass. The sauce is too much for the sandwich, and the ciabatta bread it was served on was too loaded with rosemary and too thickly sliced to be enjoyed. Maybe we'll get back to it one day.

This time, the husband ordered the Roast Beef Sandwich with Gorgonzola Spread, Arugula, and Tomato on Ciabatta served with Marinated Cucumber Salad. No complaints on the sandwich, but that it wasn't anything special, and the cucumber salad was too sweet for our tastes.

I ordered the fish of the day, a marked improvement. It was big enough to be a main meal, mahi mahi on a bed of vegetables and rice. Quite good. I really enjoyed lunch. Service was slow, and the server full of entirely too much forced cheer when she did stop by, off-putting.

I think the Grand Floridian dessert portions are about the smallest on property, but once you taste them, you're not wanting more. The Key Lime Tart - Chocolate Crust topped with Carmelized Sugar was weepy and dry all at once. Disappointing. My husband was no happier with his tiny square of New York-style Lemon Cheesecake.

Verdict: Usually one of our favorite choices for a decent one DP credit meal, and it was still satisfying but not sure I would bother if it wasn't a sentimental favorite for us.

Yak & Yeti, Animal Kingdom- Lunch:
The atmosphere of Yak and Yeti is like an extension of the Expedition Everest queue. It's got that weathered, tibetan ruin feel, and it's loaded with actual art and artifacts from Tibet. They invite you to look around, visit other areas and tables (never mind those pesky other diners- have a look!). Not to worry, my meal has never been interrupted by browsers.

Our server had a case of the fake perkies that she might have picked up from our GF Cafe server(contagious?)-- but it's better than snooty indifference, I suppose. We started with specialty cocktails that were both more like fruit smoothies with a kick (no complaints, and not actually packing much by way of kick).

I had the Shaoxing Steak and Shrimp - skirt steak, tempura-battered shrimp, jasmine rice, stir-fried vegetables, chili plum dipping sauce. The husband opted for stir-fried beef and broccoli, in a brown sauce. The beef and broccoli was nothing more spectacular than you would find at your average neighborhood asian place. The steak and shrimp, a bit better. I love the veggies and rice, though the steak and shrimp overall is still pretty average.

For dessert, the server recommended the Fried Wontons - Skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey vanilla drizzle, and it was a great call. Really delicious dessert offering, but I was unfortunately over-stuffed with veggies and rice (and oh yeah, steak and shrimp.)

The verdict: A pleasant, filling meal that probably won't leave you disappointed, but won't be particularly memorable or leave you raring to return. I think it's a Landry's restaurant, and you get what you expect from a chain restaurant that specializes in atmosphere: Overpriced, unremarkable, but edible, food. And spotty service.

San Angel Inn, Mexico, World Showcase- lunch:
Ah, San Angel Inn. So many haters for the San Angel, but we have always had decent meals and we've loved it since our honeymoon. How can you not love eating by a river at the base of an aztec ruin and a volcano spouting in the distance? Romance! Unless you're seated practically on top of the next table, maybe, and as long as you don't mind those passing boaters snapping pictures of you as they glide by as if they're paparazzi and you're Lady Gaga (they really aren't taking pictures of diners, just the scenery, but it gets annoying).

I had Sirloin con Chilaquiles- Grilled sirloin with chilaquiles (layers of fried corn tortilla, green tomatillo sauce, topped with queso fresco, onion, and sour cream), served with black refried beans. Husband had Enchiladas Verdes con Pollo- Corn tortillas filled with pulled chicken, covered with green tomatillo sauce, topped with sour cream, queso fresco and onion, served with black beans. The chilaquiles and the tomatillo sauce on the enchilada can get really hot-spicy after a while. My tongue was numb by the end of the meal, but I'm sure the jalapeno margarita that I ordered previously at Cava del Tequila did not help there.

Verdict: Our meals were very good! Especially if you like spicy hot. The chips served before the meal are finally freshly made and very tasty. Now it's the salsa that is lacking. Why can't this place get chips and salsa down right? But whatever. We still love it. Our service was impeccable, very attentive. They even serenaded me with happy birthday. It was a lovely, lovely afternoon in Mexico.

See also:
Quick Service Report (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=186441)
Signature Dining Report (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=186443)

faline
10-14-2011, 02:51 PM
The Grand Floridian Cafe has always been a favorite though we have, on occasion, found the service to be a bit slow. However, we've never been disappointed in the food at this spot. Sorry you didn't find it so.

I agree completely on Yak & Yeti. Good but not particularly special and indicative of its roots as a chain.

San Angel is also a favorite of ours even though it has often gotten mixed reviews!

SBETigg
10-14-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm thinking maybe the GF Cafe has become more a breakfast/dinner spot. When we started going there, it was just breakfast and lunch. My fish dish was very good, more of a main meal item, and if any indication of the dinner service, I would definitely recommend trying it for dinner. For lunch, it was lovely but not quite up to what we know it can be.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the report...when we tried San Angel in 2005 I thought everything was quite bland, maybe we should try it again:mickey:

lynnek
10-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the report!! We had similar feelings about Yak and Yeti last Nov--it was a nice respite, but had a similar serving experience. We were disappointed to find out they had eliminated the Pho from the menu--something both kids love. We aren't planning it in this year. We will be trying the Grand Floridian Cafe for breakfast this yr. We tried it for lunch last yr--it dragged on forever and kind of a miss on taste. Our desserts were fantastic though--small but perfect.

Mickey'sGirl
10-18-2011, 08:39 AM
You probably should have had the lobster hamburger at the GF Cafe. I STILL haven't made it there. :(

We haven't tried the Yak and Yeti, and won't likely make it there anytime soon ... though the wonton skewers sound tasty.

We've been hit and miss at San Angel, so haven't been back for many years. Perhaps it's time to give it another try. The boys ask about it everytime we take the "Mexican" boat.

SBETigg
10-18-2011, 11:25 AM
You probably should have had the lobster hamburger at the GF Cafe. I STILL haven't made it there. :(

We haven't tried the Yak and Yeti, and won't likely make it there anytime soon ... though the wonton skewers sound tasty.

We've been hit and miss at San Angel, so haven't been back for many years. Perhaps it's time to give it another try. The boys ask about it everytime we take the "Mexican" boat.

I really debated about the lobster burger. I wasn't in a burger mood, and the fish was really good, so that was fine. But I still want to try the lobster burger. We have a place in my hometown that does an amazing lobster burger, and I think there's some fear that the GF Cafe's won't compare, but I've read good reviews.

I hesitate to recommend San Angel. It always seems like it's good for us, and then others go there and end up really disappointed. I don't know if we've just had good luck there or we're somehow really overlooking the bad because we love the atmosphere so much. But then, we've always had good service, and I see lots of complaints about the service. So, I don't know what to make of it. If you haven't been in years, you might like it now. Or...