PDA

View Full Version : Flying from Pittsburgh PA to Orlando in January?

disneyfan328
10-13-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm looking for tips/advice from anyone that has experience flying this time of year.

I am slightly concerned about the weather factoring in to our departure and arrival back at PGH at this time of year. We are leaving Jan 6th in the evening and are flying home on Jan 15 - However - DH today found that it will be cheaper to fly home on Monday 1/16 even once we pay for the extra night in the hotel.

Our kids are off of school on Monday for the MLK holiday so I was planning on just having this be a recoup day, but I am finding it really REALLY hard to say no to staying the extra day.:blush:

We have the travel insurance so what happens if our flight is delayed in either direction? anyone ever had this happen and what did you do? We are traveling with kids ages 10 & 12.

thanks!

WDWCrazyKaren
10-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Stay the extra day! But that is my answer for everything.

We live in Minneapolis, and generally do WDW in January, and we have never had a cancelled flight. We've run across delays by a few hours, but nothing that went longer. Of course, a huge snowstorm can come up at any time, and there is nothing you can do about it. If you won't get fired from taking an extra day off of work if you don't show up because of a snow delay, I'd do it. If you MUST be at work the day after you return, I might not chance it.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-14-2011, 09:37 AM
I'd also vote to stay the extra day, especially if it also saves a few $$'s.

The weather can be unpredictable at any time of the year, and I agree the PP, if you'll be fired for not showing up the next day, if the worst happens and you're trapped by snow, then leave the cushion, otherwise stay and enjoy.

When we've had to get back to the real world right after a vacation, I do take some time to do laundry, etc while we're away, so we can "hit the ground running" so to speak once we're back home.

Either way, enjoy your trip!

mudpuppysmom
10-14-2011, 11:07 AM
We have flown from PIT to MCO and back at the same time you are going....

What we have experienced is a delay (45 mintues) and we've had to go thru de-icing three times since we sat too long in freezing drizzle.

Once we got to MCO we took off our layers and enjoyed our stay thoroughly!!

I'm not going to lie -- it was rough coming home though.....putting on all those clothes and going from sandals to heavy bulky shoes! Let's not even mention the temperature difference!

As for staying an extra day -- if you can save money and get an extra day out of the whole thing -- DO IT!! My son always whines about going to school the following day and once he's up he's fine. I tell him, he can nap when he gets home if he wants to (which never happens either). Our kids generally sleep on the plane and in the car on the way home (we live an hour from the airport), so they really aren't losing any sleep if you are concerned about that or any "jet lag" they may have.

Stay and have a great last day is what we would do!

DisneyBunch5
10-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Last year, between Christmas and New Years, we we 'stuck" at Disney World for a few extra days. The weather was fine in Orlando and at our destination, but because of the weather and flight cancellations in the northeast, the flights out of Orlando were impacted.

Luckily we had travel insurance (because our trip had included a cruise). Our hotel and meals were reimbursed after submitting the paperwork to the insurance company.

If you need any additional info, feel free to PM me.

faline
10-14-2011, 02:30 PM
When you travel, you can run into delays at any time of year. Winter, however, does sometimes complicate things. Luckily, we've never been completely canceled but once spent hours at Orlando airport due to weather caused delays. That trip, we landed in the snow in Boston and were the last flight allowed in that night. On another trip, we were concerned about getting stuck at our connecting airport which was in Pennsylvania but I forget if we were flying through Pittsburgh or Philiadelphia. We were assured flights were not cancelled. We ran into a number of folks who had been cancelled but we managed to get through. You just need to be prepared to go with the flow.

disneyfan328
10-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks everyone! I am thinking I can deal with the lack of sleep and the weather if it means staying in Disney another day!:thumbsup: We have the travel insurance so I guess if it comes down to it and we get stuck at least we'll get reimbursed.

Jared
10-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks everyone! I am thinking I can deal with the lack of sleep and the weather if it means staying in Disney another day!:thumbsup: We have the travel insurance so I guess if it comes down to it and we get stuck at least we'll get reimbursed.

I think you're making the right decision here. Travel delays are unpredictable, especially during a Pittsburgh winter, so I wouldn't base my plans around the fear of a snowstorm. If you get caught in a blizzard, you'll grin and make the best of it. For all you know, it could wind up being a lovely, sunny day!

disneyfan328
10-16-2011, 07:06 PM
I think you're making the right decision here. Travel delays are unpredictable, especially during a Pittsburgh winter, so I wouldn't base my plans around the fear of a snowstorm. If you get caught in a blizzard, you'll grin and make the best of it. For all you know, it could wind up being a lovely, sunny day!

Thanks Jared - My sentiments exactly! There is no where else i would rather be "stuck" for an extra day or two!:mickey:

TinkerbellT421
10-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks Jared - My sentiments exactly! There is no where else i would rather be "stuck" for an extra day or two!:mickey:

I know Pittsburg winters are just as rough if not worse than our Rhode Island/New England winters. We fortunately have never been stranded or stuck (knock on wood) during our January travels. But like you said, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but there! :mickey: If anything it sounds like the perfect excuse!!! :thumbsup::mickey: