PDA

View Full Version : Dining Plan driving menu prices WAY UP?

SignguyTom
10-10-2011, 10:49 PM
We are headed to WDW mid Oct. Our last trip was Dec '09 and we had some meals in mind that we ended up deciding against (Cape May Clambake for example) at the time. Well, in making ADRs for our upcoming Oct trip, it seems like the Cape May buffet went from $30-ish in '09 to what, $42+ now...!!!? Really!!!? The ONLY thought for a price increase like this would be to full-on gouge the cash customers to make up for the free dining offers, or even the DDP in general. Just my 2 cents :twocents: . We are paying OoP for this meal in a couple weeks. I am having a difficult time imagining it even being remotely worth that kind of cashola. Any other thoughts???

HackLaSalle
10-10-2011, 11:25 PM
The increase from $30 to $42 is an increase of 1.4% the average rate of inflation from 09 to 11 was roughly 2.4%. If you take into account the crazy rising costs of the basics of your meal. Thats still quite a bargain. I understand where you are coming from but sometimes it helps looking at it from a different perspective.

mudpuppysmom
10-11-2011, 12:01 AM
We just returned and I too noticed the prices of TS meals went up what I thought was considerably. Even my DH who really never pays much attention to prices -- he looks to see what he feels like eating that particular second -- noticed how pricey things were!

We too pay OOP as we felt the DDP was too restrictive for us when we did it.

DizneyRox
10-11-2011, 06:35 AM
The clambake ain't worth $42 per person, no way, no how... I'd actually pass on the meal at those prices. There's nothing there that make it worth that.

I used to say that Disney dining was somewhat in line compared to other restaurants. There was a little premium because it was on property and the convenience of not having to pack up and go elsewhere was worth it. Now, not so much...

We are DVC and do considerably more cooking in the room when we do go. It's been a while and will be a while still before we go back, but if/when we do, we'll continue to cook more and more in the room.

VWL Mom
10-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Sorry to be a bit slow this morning but how is $30 to $42 only 1.4% increase?

Cassieblanca
10-11-2011, 07:13 AM
It's not, it's a 40% increase.

CleveRocks
10-11-2011, 07:45 AM
The ONLY thought for a price increase like this would be to full-on gouge the cash customers to make up for the free dining offers, or even the DDP in general.
Offers of a free Disney Dining Plan are HUGE money-makers for Disney. They don't need to make up for any losses. There are no losses. The free DDP is offered in lieu of a room discount, and in most cases, a room discount and paying out of pocket for food would be cheaper for guests than a full-price room and the free Dining Plan.

There are many things than can lead to price increases, but if the DDP were causing Disney problems, they'd simply stop offering it.

Butters
10-11-2011, 08:08 AM
I think the raised prices are just a way to push people onto the dining plan... It used to be where you could do a couple TS meals during your trip and pay OOP and save a noticeable amount of money... now if you plan on doing more than two TS meals it doesn't make sense to not buy DDP

HackLaSalle
10-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Sorry to be a bit slow this morning but how is $30 to $42 only 1.4% increase?

very technical math! I divided 42 by 30 :) the other percentage I got was 2.4 when I looked at is as just the $12 increase compared to 30. But a. Im terrible at math and b. It was late so I definitely could be wrong.

SignguyTom
10-11-2011, 09:45 AM
I think the raised prices are just a way to push people onto the dining plan... It used to be where you could do a couple TS meals during your trip and pay OOP and save a noticeable amount of money... now if you plan on doing more than two TS meals it doesn't make sense to not buy DDP

This is EXACTLY what I was getting at. The higher the menu prices, the more they can charge for the DDP. The more they charge for the DDP, the more attractive it seems when it is offered for 'free'. Once they get everyone hooked on the DDP, they can do pretty much what they want to the menus, entitlements, etc...

SignguyTom
10-11-2011, 09:47 AM
The increase from $30 to $42 is an increase of 1.4% ...

:confused:

Cassieblanca
10-11-2011, 10:41 AM
you have to divide the amount of the increase (12), by the original number (30) to get the percentage. 12/30= 0.4. That's an increase of 40%

VWL Mom
10-11-2011, 10:47 AM
you have to divide the amount of the increase (12), by the original number (30) to get the percentage. 12/30= 0.4. That's an increase of 40%

You're right :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
10-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Using whatever math you want to use, $42 for Cape May Clambake is too much!

Cassieblanca
10-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I think we can all agree on that.

TheDuckRocks
10-11-2011, 11:26 AM

Agreed, but where they get you is when you start thinking of it as being "only 1 TS credit". Very smart that mouse.

paymerich
10-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Next Disney trip we all should boycott the redonkulous prices by bringing our own food and wear T-shirts that say "boycott redonkulous Disney food prices!". :cool:

DizneyRox
10-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Agreed, but where they get you is when you start thinking of it as being "only 1 TS credit". Very smart that mouse.
I've never thought that way... I've thought that $45 a day per person (or whatever it was when I first heard of the dining plan) is way more than I need to spend on food each day.

I've always thought of the cost of the meal when considering value. I don't mind paying $50, $75, even $100+ for a meal per person, provided the quality/quantity and service were in line with the price. This just isn't the case anymore as many (I won't say all) of the Disney owned and operated restaurants.

Compare the menus at places like Yak and Yeti, Rainforest Cafe, etc against Disney restaurants and it's pretty obvious. And it's not necessarily all about price, look at the selections...

magicgal
10-11-2011, 04:12 PM
I think so! If it weren't for the free DDP, we wouldn't be on it anymore. I would not purchase the DDP anymore because of how much that went up and they of course took away the gratuity and free apps..plus, I would eat offsite more if paying oop. We enjoy the DDP, and used to pay for it before the free plans were offered. But, anymore, the way prices have gone up I would not solely eat onsite.

HoosierDisneyFan
10-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Shouldn't a DDP price increase be compared to the menu prices to determine if DDP is a value? Foods prices in general have gone up (at least at my local restuarants and grocecy stores).

Also is the $30 starting figure correct?

Just a couple of thoughts...

Crow
10-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Im trying Cape May for the first time the wk after next. only because of free DDP, otherwise I dont think I would try it at that price.

DisneyMom12
10-12-2011, 11:00 PM

You crack me up. :funny:

SignguyTom
10-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Shouldn't a DDP price increase be compared to the menu prices to determine if DDP is a value? Foods prices in general have gone up (at least at my local restuarants and grocecy stores).

Just a couple of thoughts...

The $30 starting figure is very close. I can't find our menus from '09 right now, but I just saw them a few weeks ago when we were making plans. Cape May was around $30 - maybe $32-ish.

So, by driving the OoP menu prices up, then they can raise the daily fee for the DDP and still have it 'save money'. It also seems to sweeten the deal when it is offered as a 'free' promotion. The bottom line is that you get the short end of the stick if you choose to not purchase the DDP.

DizneyRox
10-13-2011, 10:05 AM
So, by driving the OoP menu prices up, then they can raise the daily fee for the DDP and still have it 'save money'. It also seems to sweeten the deal when it is offered as a 'free' promotion. The bottom line is that you get the short end of the stick if you choose to not purchase the DDP.
I don't think that's necessarily an accurate statement. On my last trip to the world, we paid OOP for our meals. When we got home, I "bought" the dining plan and matched everything up with the credits we would have had, added in tips, etc.

We spent significantly less on food than we would have spend had we bought the dining plan. We were using the TiW card, HOWEVER, the pre 20% discounted amount was still less than the cost of the dining plan plus tips (by over a hundred dollars, maybe $150 or so).

Because we paid OOP we didn't have any bias towards meals, etc because we needed to use credits or get out money's worth. We did a number of character meals, we did a table service every day, I believe a CS every day etc, snacks...

BrerGnat
10-13-2011, 10:39 AM

This was my thought as well. I've always recalled that meal being around $36-38 per person...

We've never eaten at a Disney buffet. They are ALL overpriced, IMO. We refuse to take the bait. The characters are NOT worth it when you can see them for free in the parks.