PDA

View Full Version : ECV Novice

DebbieFr
10-10-2011, 05:31 AM
We are flying out to Disney from the UK on Thursday :cloud9:
Unfortunatley, my mum has hurt her knee. It is not so bad that she cant walk but she cant get very far before it starts to hurt quite badly.
:(
We have decided to rent her an ECV from Apple. My sister has all the details and we are going to arrange for it to be delivered and picked up from our hotel.
Can anyone tell me what else we need to do? Do we have to make special arrangements with the Hotel etc. We are staying at POFQ and had already requested a ground floor room.
As previoulsy - she is quite able in herself, she is just not able to walk a long way at present. So doesnt need a disabled room as such.
Any hints and tips will be gratefully recieved
:mickey:
Thanks Debbie

Disney4us2
10-10-2011, 09:47 AM
You should have no problem with the hotel and the scooter. It should be waiting for you at bell services.

We stayed at POFQ in April and had a ground floor in building 4. It was very convenient. There are elevators if you do get a higher floor.

I requested a bottom floor as well and that was honored due to mobility purposes (I use an ECV). I did have it noted on my original ressie when it was booked.

As far as the ECV, have your mom practice driving the ECV around the resort. Also a good way to see the resort. That way she will get a feel for the scooter. Also have her practice parallel park to the left. That is if you are using the busses. They park the scooters on the left side of the bus mostly. My first time with a scooter on the bus I just let the driver know I was new at parking on the busses. They were very willing to help me out.

I have learned to drive slower in the parks. People will just dash in front of you or stop in their tracks. Sometimes I like to draft a person in a stroller. They move others out of the way for me.

The lines for the attractions for the most part are ECV friendly. Using fastpasses helps for a shorter wait. I would go to guest services and ask for a map for disabilities. It shows what attractions require what entrance etc.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip:mickey:

peemagg
10-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Be sure to pay attention at all times as to where the speed dial is set on your scooter. Also be sure to shut the scooter off at times that you are sitting still for a while, like shows and parades. It will make your battery last longer as well as going at slower speeds. I recommend until someone is totally comfortable with a scooter and what it does as far as speed and stopping, to keep it at the slower speeds. It will give the operator more time for reaction and it will stop faster at slower speeds.