PDA

View Full Version : October or May?

mom2morgan
10-09-2011, 09:17 PM
These seem to be the best two months for us. What are the pros and cons of each? Please help me make a decision! We thought we had it all figured out for this year, but them some financial things happened - so we're hoping we can do it next year.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-09-2011, 09:23 PM
I like October because you have MNSSHP. The weather can still be hot and humid but so can May.

faline
10-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Both are great times to visit.

May is already quite hot and humid but you have the Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot (which I love)! Crowds are typically low to moderate. It's one of the dryer months on the year. While rain is not out of the question, you typically get less rain and the daily thundershowers that come by early June do not yet occur with any regularity.

October can still be quite hot and humid but both the heat and humidity are decreasing. Some evenings can even be chilly enough to require jeans and sweatshirts. As noted, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party happens during this time of year and this event is always lots of fun. You also have the Food & Wine Festival though they does tend to drive crowds up - especially in Epcot. Weather can be a bit unpredictable. In addiiton to some thunder showers, you could also experience a tropical depression which would bring much heavier rain for a more prolonged period of time and/or even a hurricane. Crowds are still manageable though, in my last October trip, I thought they were a bit heavier than May crowds.

darthmacho
10-10-2011, 10:27 AM
I agree that both times are fabulous to go. Unfortunately, August is our most convenient time to go, but I hope that I can make it back during one of the two times you're currently considering.

May, thanks to spring and the flower festival, is a particularly vibrant time. The weather is warmer, but not nearly as hot and humid as the summer. Crowds are probably a little less in the first two weeks than the last two, but I'm certainly no expert. If you choose this, your countdown will be shorter and your vacation sooner!

October weather can be nice too, and the fall decor and Halloween celebrations are always fun. The food and wine festival might be a little more immersive than the flower festival. Except for the holiday weekend, crowds might be comparable and at times less than the spring, though that's no guarantee. Choosing this time gives you more time to plan and anticipate.

Tough choice, but if forced to decide, I suppose I'd give a slight edge to going in the fall. Good luck! :mickey:

brivers222
10-10-2011, 10:37 AM
I have only gone in May and October....

May had short lines and was reasonable temperatures.... May did not have MNSSHP so thats a minus

October does have MNSSHP and had very decent ride wait times... but there was the looming possibility of a Hurricane.

Overall.... October and MNSSHP would win every time.

Mousemates
10-10-2011, 12:07 PM
If you were talking about early may...say the first week to ten days...I would say may...the crowds would likely be lighter, you would avoid much of the possibility of long term bad weather and the florida heat and humidity machine isn't quite running full bore yet.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-10-2011, 12:55 PM
I would pick October over may....

1. Weather-Sometimes still pretty warm in October but generally nights will be cooler than in May. Although its still hurricane season, October hurricanes are rare.
2. Food and Wine Festival
3. MNSSHP
4. Cool fall decorations....

Checkers
10-10-2011, 02:43 PM
:mickey:Both months are our favorite times to go. I agree that early May is preferable to later in the month. We also love Oct. and the F&WF as well as MNSSHP and there again we prefer to go later in the month because of cooler temperatures and lower crowds (although I really don't think there is a time any more when crowds are low). Either time would be a winner in my book!

SBETigg
10-10-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm just back, and we had two straight days of very heavy rain. That, and the World Showcase crowds, make me think I would do April or May next trip. I love October, too, but I think weather and crowds are better in May.

MyDisneyworld
10-11-2011, 09:35 AM
We have gone the 3rd week in October a number of times and it has always been perfect weather. Only a quick 5 minute down pour once that I can remember. Low crowds with many rides being walk on, it's perfect.
Will be there next week and the weather looks perfect again, let's hope it stays that way.