PDA

View Full Version : MLB Playoffs

Hammer
10-07-2011, 12:00 PM
How has this topic not been started in here? Nothing from Yankees fans? Happy Tigers fans? We need to bring the Phillies-Cards trash talking to this forum!

Let us hear from all of you!

markyv
10-07-2011, 01:11 PM
In that case. GO CARDS!

Septbride2002
10-07-2011, 02:27 PM
St. Louis is VERY critical of it's players. But no we don't often "boo" at the end of the game because - what is the point? For example of criticism one just needs to turn to the St. Louis Post Dispatch for the on going is Pujols worth it debate. There is a large group of fans (myself included) who don't think he is moving forward.

And our coach - beaten up every year by the press.

Anyway - I personally love it when the series goes to game 5 - should be a great game.

Go Cardinals!

darthmacho
10-07-2011, 02:46 PM
As a Red Sox fan, I'm feeling a little bit better right now that the Yankees and Rays have been eliminated. It seems odd that the vaunted AL East could not send a representative to the ALCS. Well, it's nice to see that the Lions and the Tigers are giving the beleaguered city of Detroit something to cheer about.

Hammer
10-07-2011, 02:49 PM
See, I can't see what your local press is saying (I barely have time to read my local press and Intercot!). National media, like ESPN, seems to love your team and LaRussa. As much as I think he micromanages a game, he is very intelligent.

Interesting antedote- Tony LaRussa grew up in Tampa. His father was the trucking supervisor for the dairy my aunt's husband's family owned. When his dad passed away a few years ago, my aunt and cousin were at the viewing.

With all that said-

Go Phillies!!!

Kill the rally squirrel :squirrel: !!

Septbride2002
10-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Leave the Squirrel Alone!

Melanie
10-07-2011, 11:12 PM
YES!!! One of my most hated teams in all of sports is gone. Oh happy day!! :woohoo:

Now....go RANGERS!!!

Septbride2002
10-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Thats a winner!!!

Hammer
10-08-2011, 04:15 AM
Mel, I never knew the Phillies are one of your most hated teams in sports...I thought that was reserved for the Yankees with most people, or at least the Mets ;). I've always seen it as a friendly rivalry, but I know there are those who feel as you do about the Braves and/or Mets in the Phillies fan base. Could also be that my Dad was a Mets fan since their inception, so I never saw them as the enemy.

Congrats to the Cardinals. Story of our season. Pitcher pitches great, and the bats can't give him any support. At least now I don't have to try and watch baseball while at WDW this coming week!

Melanie
10-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Mel, I never knew the Phillies are one of your most hated teams in sports...I thought that was reserved for the Yankees with most people, or at least the Mets ;).

Yep, along with any UNC sports team, I've hated the Phillies since those nasty, redneck-y, tobacco spitting jerks of the early 90s. But I thought we'd been through this before. :confused:

Every team has haters. It's part of sports. And for the record, I don't hate the Yankees. Don't like them, but don't hate them.

Hammer
10-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Yep, along with any UNC sports team, I've hated the Phillies since those nasty, redneck-y, tobacco spitting jerks of the early 90s. But I thought we'd been through this before. :confused:

Mel, I honestly did not know it was to the UNC level of hatred. It is funny you brought up the early '90's Phillies as I did not like most of the players on the '93 Phillies, but I rooted for the team. I was the only woman I know in the Philadelphia area who did not like Darren Daulton :). I thought there were all just too gruff for my liking. Only player I liked on the 1993 team? Kevin Stocker, the guy who went to Yale. He so did not fit in with the rest of that team!

Every team has haters. It's part of sports. And for the record, I don't hate the Yankees. Don't like them, but don't hate them.

I used NY teams as the example as they have the most haters, along with Boston teams. For the most part, I hate specific players, not teams.

I'm just seeing not needing to find TBS on property as my silver lining.

PirateLover
10-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Old rivalries die hard I guess.

Anyway, I am taking this Phillies loss harder than any other probably since 93. It's not like it's 2007 when we were just happy to get there. There are expectations with this team now, and they really fell short. I think it's also the realization that so many guys won't be back next year, and that with each passing year your chances with this core group of guys dwindles. I feel especially bad for Halladay. He pitched his heart out and they couldn't get him one measly run.

I can't take anything away from the Cards. They worked their at-bats, played stellar defense, and crazy LaRusa managed his bullpen well. They played better, and they won.

I am now rooting for the Brewers and the Tigers, which means that it will probably be a Cardinals-Rangers World Series, lol!

Lovin'ThatMouse
10-09-2011, 07:21 PM
I have to say 'Go Rangers'!! I have been a die hard Rangers fan ever since I went to my first game back in the 1980's. Love them through the lean years and through the great years! It was exciting getting to the WS last year for the first time and it will be even better this year! As long as we can get past Mother Nature! Texas needs the rain but not in the middle of the ALCS! j/k
Go Rangers

mdricks
10-13-2011, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=I am now rooting for the Brewers and the Tigers, which means that it will probably be a Cardinals-Rangers World Series, lol![/QUOTE]

You wouldn't happen to have any lottery numbers I shouldn't use under any circumstances do you?:thedolls:

Fear the squirrel! Go cards!
:number1:

MOJoe
10-20-2011, 02:50 PM
There is truely something magical happening for the St. Louis Cardinals this fall. That squirrel must have spread pixie dust around the Cardinal dugout. And a lot more around the bullpen. Looks like we're gonna win an 11th World Series Title. GO CARDS!

Ian
10-20-2011, 07:47 PM
There is truely something magical happening for the St. Louis Cardinals this fall. That squirrel must have spread pixie dust around the Cardinal dugout. And a lot more around the bullpen. Looks like we're gonna win an 11th World Series Title. GO CARDS!I already explained this. They played a Philly team in the playoffs. That guarantees them a championship. ;)

Green Bay
Chicago
Boston
San Francisco
New York

What do they have in common? All played a Philly team in the playoffs the last two years and all won the championship. It's a guaranteed formula. I should have bet a wad on the Cardinals as soon as they beat the Phils. I could have cleaned up!

PirateLover
10-23-2011, 11:36 AM
I already explained this. They played a Philly team in the playoffs. That guarantees them a championship. ;)
.... I should have bet a wad on the Cardinals as soon as they beat the Phils. I could have cleaned up!

I was just coming on to say your hypothesis is looking pretty good right now. Wow.
But, I have to point something out about the so-called "Rally Squirrel"- The PHILLIES won the first game he made an appearance in! I think it's more about hot bats at the right time than that stupid rodent. I can't believe he got his own post season commercial, lol.

PirateLover
10-23-2011, 11:37 AM
you wouldn't happen to have any lottery numbers i shouldn't use under any circumstances do you?:thedolls:

Fear the squirrel! Go cards!

4 8 15 16 23 42

mdricks
10-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Wow just ....wow.

This has got to be one of the best series matchups ever. That game last night.

11 in 11!!!!!!

Go cards!

Septbride2002
10-28-2011, 03:23 PM
"We will see you tomorrow night!"

:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

My love for the Buck family knows no bounds. Got teary eyed this morning in the car when a radio station played old reels of Jack Buck announcing for the Cardinals.

CANNOT WAIT FOR THE GAME TONIGHT! GO CARDS!!!! 11 in 11!!!!

~Amanda

MOJoe
10-29-2011, 10:06 AM
With all due respect to the Phillies, Brewers, Rangers and the rest of the post season bunch, it just seemed that the Cardinals were the team of destiny, playing out a script from a movie. Hobbled from the beginning of pre-season, able to play hard and get on base, but not win enough to lead their division, they blew late inning leads and suffered what looked like knockout punches in August and September. Still, they kept fighting, and with some help from the Phillies found themselves in the playoffs.

Once there, with nearly every sports analyst picking their opponent, this very talented team found some "underdog magic". The Cardinals started playing like every game was a gift that should not be wasted. Only in WS game 2, did they really let one go. Still, that only added to the drama. And for drama, you could not find more than what unfolded in game 6. Even though it wasn't a clinching game, to win that way had to hurt the Rangers. It really was over then.

You would be hard pressed to write a better, more entertaining story than the one we just witnessed. 11th Championship in 2011!

Way to go Cardinals!!!!! :cloud9::number1::cloud9:
See you next year!