PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Hoop Dee Doo Review

Itchy
10-06-2011, 04:38 PM
I will be going to the Hoop Dee Doo Review for the first time the week of the 16th.

Any thoughts? The good, bad, or ugly.

I will be there with my daughter and granddaughter.

Thanks in advance.:mickey:

darthmacho
10-06-2011, 05:48 PM
If you like bbq and enjoy a show that entertains all ages, you're in for a treat. That's probably a bit of a simple answer, but it's true. Enjoy!:eat:

mydisneygirls
10-06-2011, 06:03 PM
We had a great time on our recent trip. My daughters and I got picked on by one of the entertainers!!! Food was okay but the show was worth it.

HoosierDisneyFan
10-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Fun for all ages... Jokes are corny but everyone has a great time... I have been 3 time with ages 12 to 65.

Fried Chicken & ribs... Great corn bread... Drinks (beer included) and tip are included in the price.

Takes some planning on how to get there but a great boat from MK to dock trhat is close to Pioneer Hall is the way to go! Take the boat back to MK after the show and then take Disney transporation to your resort.

mydisneygirls
10-06-2011, 06:17 PM
The corn bread was great!! Oh yeah and beer or wine is included. I agree, take the boat from the MK.

John
10-06-2011, 06:49 PM
One of the podcasts from this summer covered my experiences - be sure to hit the archives :)

faline
10-06-2011, 07:08 PM
I first went to Hoop De Doo more than 30 years ago. I've enjoyed every show I've seen!

DisneyRN
10-06-2011, 07:44 PM
I love Hoop-dee-Doo!

Food is delicious and the show is entertaining! It is definetly worth the time and money! :number1:

Ima-john-eer
10-06-2011, 08:05 PM
We were at the show last week. We loved it. Usually go to the Luau show but decided to try something different. This will now be part of every Disney visit! My DS14 was FINALLY fed to his satisfaction! DS8 loved the corny jokes. I would highly recomend it. We watched the evening fireworks at MK from the Fort WIlderness dock then enjoyed the boatride back.

brivers222
10-06-2011, 09:27 PM
this is a staple for us... have to go to each time we are there!

cer
10-06-2011, 09:41 PM
I went to Hoop De Doo for the first time this past June...

The following is an excerpt from my dining report that is pretty detailed about our personal experience at Hoop Dee Doo

"Hoop Dee Doo Revue – We had never done this before. It was indeed a first. I had read many reviews about how everyone can see everything from where they sit so…I opted for Category 3 seating at the 5pm show. It was so hot the day we went here. We had already spent the day at MK and took the ferry over to Camp Fort Wilderness. Did I say we were hot? We found some great places to rest and cool down to the left of Pioneer Hall. It is right next to the bathroom and shady and cooler b/c the bathrooms have cool air conditioning pouring out of them. Well, it is time to check in and they drag us out into the sun so we can check-in at the podium and then into another long line to get our pics. We were pretty miserable.

OK, there is something you need to know about me. I love a sale. I enjoy little things and I enjoy hanging onto my money, so Category 3 seating is no big deal to me. Well, at least I thought. So we get in and are sent upstairs to our table. We are seated in bar stools with our backs to the main dining hall and railing. Our table is like sitting at a bar. Four of us are in a row, shoulder to shoulder. When the entertainment starts, in order to see it, you must swivel your chair around and lean over the rail to see the whole stage. There is really no comfortable place to put your legs.

The food was just ok for us. I am not a fan of the strawberry shortcake. I think I was expecting the cake and the whipped cream to be sweeter. My husband and I don’t drink and so all you can drink beer and sangria is not a draw for us. The fried chicken seemed dry. Ribs were good, very saucy. We also enjoyed the salad and the cornbread. Veggies not so much.

Loved the entertainment. Very cute show. They do a great job at making everyone feel part of the show wherever you sit. The kids really enjoyed it.

I am not sure we will return. We spent over $230 for this meal, show and gratuity. That is a lot of money for food that is just ok. If we were to return, I would pay extra to have better seats and make sure we were not coming right from a long hot day at a park. I think that if we had taken a break from the park, rested a little and then went to dinner we might have had a better experience, but for those of you planning a trip to Hoop Dee Doo, I would not recommend Category 3 seats. Well, get them if you want, but know what to expect if you do go for the Cat 3 seats."

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-07-2011, 09:46 AM
You didn't say how old your kids were but kids tend to love it. My son was 14 on our last trip and proclaimed it to be a must do for our December trip. The humor is quite corny but we were entertained enough watching my son laugh.

The food is ribs, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, cowboy beans, salad and bread. Strawberry shortcake for dessert...all you care for beverages include wine, beer and sangria....

Ima-john-eer
10-07-2011, 10:01 AM
I have to agree with Carrie regarding the cat 3 seating. We were on the floor in cat 2. Looking up at the cat 3 seating it DID look crowded with many guests with back toward the stage. They did involve some cat 3 guests in the show. I was glad we sat on the floor level and would suggest at least cat 2 seating, cat 1 if you want to be part of the show. I am sorry to hear the heat had such an impact on Carrie's dinner. We were there last week, end of Sept, when the 97 deg we saw was unseasonable, also after a day at the park starting with ropedrop at MK. The line for pictures and the line for seating was not the first time in queue for that day.

Hope you enjoy a meal and show with broad appeal to family.

joonyer
10-07-2011, 11:30 AM
The food is not gourmet, but it's good and there's plenty of it. The show is kinda corny and silly, but it's still a lot of fun and entertaining. The kids thought it was hilarious. We were also seated upstairs, but I think the view of the show is better from up there unless you are on the front row of tables downstairs. We used 2 credits off the DDP when we went, so didn't pay out of pocket. We're glad we went, but I don't know if we'll go again real soon. Once is a while is enough for us.

CU Tiger
10-07-2011, 02:49 PM
We love the HDDR!:thumbsup: We have seen the show about five times in the past 10 years and never get tired of it. The food is good, the drinks are fun:beer::marg:, and the entertainment is great.:mickey:

EeyoresBestFriend
10-07-2011, 03:23 PM
It appears that my family is the only one on the planet that doesn't LOVE it.

We went a few years ago, it was okay. The food is very good and the entertainment wasn't bad. We did it on free dining and I'm glad we did. I would never pay OOP for it.

It was neat to try once, but for us, it isn't worth doing again.

To each their own though . . . . :D

DizneyRox
10-07-2011, 03:51 PM
We go every trip.. The XMas shows are better IMHO, but I've never seen a bad show and never thought our seats were bad.

We've been front and center and in the balcony. Compared to the floor seats, the balcony isn't great, but I don't think it's bad either. For the couple bucks difference in the seats though, I would pick the best category that's available. I would also change my date to get a better cat too.

Crow
10-08-2011, 06:32 PM
after 18 or so trips to WDW this upcoming trip will b my first visit to HDD. using DDP 2 credits , 930 show, Cat 1,so will see how it is. I had read somewhere that they have buses to your resorts waiting after the show
unlimited:beer: appeals to me, unfortunately i hear its Bud:ack: