PDA

View Full Version : Pin code deal -what is this?

minnie-mouse
10-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Can anyone tell me what this is and how you get one? Is it for hotel discount?

Strmchsr
10-06-2011, 10:30 AM
You register on the Disney World website and agree to receive offers from them. After that, only Disney knows how they decide who gets one and who doesn't. It seems to help if you order a planning DVD, but nothing guarantees you'll get one. And, yes, they are good for discounts on packages or rooms.

Polynesian Dweller
10-06-2011, 11:39 AM
They are a marketing tool and Strmchsr has mentioned how to possibly get on the list. Because Disney uses them to sell rooms they target certain groups to get a specific pin offer. The group is based on their marketing plan and specifications and since that is never shared only they know why some people get them and some don't.

Some years I've received several and others none even though the boards will tell you there are all kinds out there. Some come in email and some in snail mail. Register and hope for the best.

SallyMcQueen
10-06-2011, 01:44 PM
I received an offer today in an email for kids stay free for dates through the end of the year. In my personal experience I started receiving these after I did a survey I was sent by Disney. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or if it was just coincidence. As the PP's stated, get your name on their mailing list and cross your fingers.

McLiberal8
10-06-2011, 01:49 PM
They are a marketing tool and Strmchsr has mentioned how to possibly get on the list. Because Disney uses them to sell rooms they target certain groups to get a specific pin offer.

I have been subscribed to Disney emails for years, and have never received one. They must not be anxious for single 26 year-olds to get discounts. :/

Strmchsr
10-06-2011, 01:57 PM
I have been subscribed to Disney emails for years, and have never received one. They must not be anxious for single 26 year-olds to get discounts. :/

You're probably right. In terms of their big marketing demographic, families tend to spend a good bit more (kids have to have souveniers, more people, etc). While I could see a market for going after singles (more disposable income, potentially), young-singles probably aren't much on Disney's demographic marketing radar.

brivers222
10-06-2011, 02:08 PM

same here.... I still hold on to the fact they are ficticious and everyone saying they got them are just playing along to make me think i am missing something :cool:

andrsue
10-27-2011, 04:30 PM
the first time I received a pin code in the mail, I almost tossed it. It looked like a mass mailer thing that just advertised specials for disney. It took a minute for me to notice the pin number highlighted in yellow by my name...

FaithTrustPixieDust
11-15-2011, 11:34 AM
I just received my first-ever PIN mailer. Same as above poster, it looks like a general Disney advertising mailer. (It doesn't say "Here is your PIN code!" across the front of it! :mickey:)

I'm not sure how much detail Disney marketing looks into, but we had been to WDW 1-2 times a year for 5 years. Then we suddenly stopped, and haven't been in over 2 years. We also moved, and I was testing the "order a vacation planning DVD" theory I had read on Intercot. I ordered the DVD, to ensure they had my new address on file. The day after the DVD arrived, another mailer arrives. It said on the front, "Good move checking out our Vacation Planning info. GO DIRECTLY inside for more details!" Open it up, and the PIN code offer and details are listed.

HOWEVER . . . the PIN offer is only 10% off, for a 2 week period when we can't go. I have found much better offers by simply watching Intercot for free dining, etc, when Disney releases them.

At least my curiousity has been satisfied. Hate to say it, but the PIN code was not as "magical" as I thought it would be.

minnie04
11-15-2011, 03:22 PM
I used to get them years ago, when I would book through Disney directly. Now that I use Magical Journeys or I do it myself. I never get anything anymore..:( :(

BriarRose0708
11-15-2011, 03:35 PM

I've received room discount pin codes several times in the past three years, and I'm 28 and un-married. I can't recall if when you register on the site they ask for your marital status, so I don't know how else they would get that information.

I like to think they have a big bingo wheel that they churn every day and pull random names out of to give pin codes to!:mickey: