PDA

View Full Version : DVC Add-on at a super price! Proof you can't plan for everything...

Hammer
10-05-2011, 11:56 PM
So I bought my original contract at SSR in early 2008 through the Timeshare Store. 150 points which would cover 5 nights at 1 bedroom during food and Wine for my sister and I and 1 night before Christmas to take my sister and my parents in a 2 bedroom. This worked perfectly, as my Dad's limit for WDW was 1 night at this point in his life. So we were set, or so I thought.

Fast forward to 2010. My Dad, who was the one who never had health problems like Mom, is diagnosed with inoperable liver cancer and passes away in July 2010 :crying: . We were already booked for Food and Wine (1st week in November) in a 1 bedroom, but we invite Mom to join us (she enjoys WDW). We have a great time, but it is crowded in 1 bedroom with Mom(who uses a wheelchair). So we discuss that 2 bedroom accommodations would be better from now on for all trips, but the points won't work for our trips.

So we start looking for a small add on with a September use year (around 100 points). As we do not book vacations until the 7 month mark, resort did not matter, though we wanted to avoid Vero Beach and Hilton Head because of the high maintenance fees. As I know these resales go fast, as soon as I saw 98 points at OKW, I call to say I want it. Disney waved ROFR 8 days later (!) and I should have the points (in my, my sister's and my Mom's names) by the end of the month.

Best part (for me anyway) is the price was $58 per point and this passed ROFR!!!!

Donald
10-06-2011, 05:53 AM
Sweet! A little Disney magic!:mickey:

Aurora
10-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Holy smackers! That is an awesome deal!

Glad that this happiness has come to your family after the loss of your father. :(

TinkerbellT421
10-06-2011, 10:15 AM
So sorry to hear about the loss of your father :(

What sweet disney magic on your purchase! Congratulations!! :mickey:

Hammer
10-29-2011, 04:56 PM
And the points are in the DVC system! The whole process took 7 weeks, and that was only because we had to mail documents between 3 different addresses for signatures. The process was really like 5-6 weeks. So worth it to me to go through resale and use the Timeshare Store (http://www.dvc-resales.com/) when you can get points at such fantasic prices!

faline
10-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Congrats on your new purchase! We used The TimeShare store for our purchase about 1-1/2 years ago. They were truly professional, guided us through all the paperwork we needed to process, and answered all of our questions (of which we had many despite having looked at DVC for several years; having taken the Disney tour twice in that time; and having done on-line research as well).

MinnieMommie
10-29-2011, 05:52 PM
So sorry to learn about your dad Christine. My thoughts are with you and your family.

I wish you all much enjoyment with the add on. :thumbsup:

Maleficent's Dad
10-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Hey Christine,
Wow, $58 pp at OKW is a steal. And it certainly says something that it passed ROFR so quickly... I'm wondering if DVC has a growing inventory that they can't unload. :confused:
Regardless, good for you and congratulations!

Any upcoming trips planned?

DizneyRox
10-30-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm wondering if DVC has a growing inventory that they can't unload.
Absotootly! Disney is swimming in points, between the inventory that isn't selling and everyone that has defaulted in recent years, Disney doesn't know what to do with all the points. That's why members can now buy one time only points.

Disney would rather someone pay the maintenance fees than have to cover them themselves.

This is why I highly recommend that people low ball offers on resales. Disney doesn't want the property and the previous owners probably want to get out. Even at $58, those people I'm sure are happy. It might be close to what they paid, and certainly they got decent value out if it.

Remember, the difference between $65 and $60 on a 100 point contract is only $500. That's really not all that much in the grand scheme of things.