PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo Dining...big disappointment!

lawgirl
10-05-2011, 02:12 PM
We just got back from a quick trip. We had made reservations at TD, and were looking forward to this meal the most out of all the meals. We were sorely disappointed, and will not be going back.

The restaurant itself is like one big room with the extremely loud and busy waiting area right there, and very, very, very noisy. We waited for about 30 minutes, which is normal from what I read, and then were seated. Our server was nice and efficient, but so quiet I could barely hear her over the noise from the restaurant...in fact, we could barely hear each other! Anyways, the sushi menu was extremely small and very disappointing to us. We LOVE Japanese food, and eat it at least once a week back home, from several local (non-chain, authentic) restaurants, and all are better than the food at TD. I guess they are catering to a more Americanized palate, and we were expecting too much. I ordered one of the combination boxes, and it was ok...not good, not bad, but way overpriced for the quality of the food.

I don't plan on ever going back...maybe we will, but I definitely won't have high expectations next time!

buzznwoodysmom
10-05-2011, 02:28 PM
We had high hopes for this place, only to be disappointed as well. We loved Teppan Edo, and wanted to try something new a few trips back so we booked TD. Huge let down. The food was just OK, the service was fine, but like you mentioned it was loud,Loud, LOUD. I don't think we'll ever go back either. On our trip in March we tried Teppan Edo again, since we've loved it in the past, and were a bit disappointed in it as well. Not nearly as bad as TD, but it was not the same Teppan Edo we've loved in the past. I think we'll just stay away from the Japan pavillion dining for a while.

Unlimitedfun
10-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience. Last year my hubbie and I made last minute reservations to Toyoko Dining. We did not know what to expect as we had never dined there. We were very surprised and pleased with our meal there. Although we did not choose the sushi, our meal was delicious, service fantastic!

lawgirl
10-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience. Last year my hubbie and I made last minute reservations to Toyoko Dining. We did not know what to expect as we had never dined there. We were very surprised and pleased with our meal there. Although we did not choose the sushi, our meal was delicious, service fantastic!

It's always good to hear a positive experience! I think the night we went was just super jam-packed with alot of noisy, noisy people. And since we eat sushi and Japanese food weekly, I think we both had extremely high expectations! The food wasn't bad, we were just really disappointed in the atmosphere, and the menu options were very limited to us. But still glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Melanie
10-05-2011, 02:51 PM
True that the waiting area situation is awkward and lends to noise if crowded, but we've always had great meals at Tokyo Dining. We love it! Since moving back to the States after living in Japan, the sushi is the closest we've found to what we got over there. And the service is always exceptional, as their culture prides itself on service. Sorry you had a bad experience. :(

Disney4us2
10-05-2011, 03:40 PM
We have been to Tokyo Dining 3 times since last December. Have not been dissapointed at all. It is one of our favorites. I had one of the bento boxes this last time and everything was great. I also ordered extra sushi and it also was very good. This last time was for dinner. I was able to have a conversation with our party and able to hear our server. Maybe everyone in the seating area was quiet. We were in the center not too far from the window. We make this one of our must do's.

Sorry your meal didn't measure up.