PDA

View Full Version : Demeber-During or after the Pop Warner Championships?

Mogie
10-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Hey everyone,

The Pop Warner High School Football and Cheer leading championships are from 12/3-12/10 this year.

I would like to know if it is better to go during the championships or right after? I have read a few conflicting opinions:
1) The parks are packed with high school kids during the week.
2) Or, all of the kids are at the football games and competitions and not in the park.
3) Or, the week after, parents will extend their stay and make a vacation out of the trip.

My plan is to make a short 4-5 day trip arriving Sat 12/10 and leaving 12/14. I hear this is a good time to go, but any later we would run into the holiday mob.

What do you guys suggest?:mickey:

Strmchsr
10-04-2011, 03:40 PM
My experience is that any time in December is getting a lot more crowded. The Pop Warner makes it crowded and nuts if you're staying at the resort they are at, but it's not bad at the parks. Yes, occasionally, you run into packs of cheerleaders or football players, but in general you don't notice them much in the parks. Especially at DAK or DHS. The kids tend to go to MK or Epcot, but even those aren't bad.

So, I don't really think it matters when you want to go unless you would be staying at Pop Warner resort. If so, definitely go afterwards.

AllDisney
10-04-2011, 04:30 PM
We DO NOT stay where they stay. Also, we have NEVER had an issue with them in the parks on our December trips to the world:thumbsup:

Dave H
10-04-2011, 05:41 PM
I hope the previous posts are correct. I generally try to avoid weeks like this when planning trips, so I was a little gutted to read that I've scheduled this year's trip during this week. I'm staying at Port Orleans: French Quarter this time, so from the sound of it I'll miss the resort crowds.

Can anyone else confirm that the parks aren't too mobbed, to make me feel better? I have no problem with kids, but we all know how packs of unsupervised teenagers can act from time to time.

faline
10-04-2011, 05:46 PM
I've been at Disney during Pop Warner a number of times. Occasionally, we've run into a group of girls with very loud voices - typical teenage stuff - but no problems and did not notice that their presence increased crowds.

Dave H
10-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I've been at Disney during Pop Warner a number of times. Occasionally, we've run into a group of girls with very loud voices - typical teenage stuff - but no problems and did not notice that their presence increased crowds.

If that's all it is, I'm fine. I can handle giggling teenagers - that's what they do. What I can't handle is the sense of entitlement, that they "rule the park" and think rules/lines don't apply to them. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

This is going to be my first trip with my GF, and though we've both been before, I want this to be special.

tinksmom02
10-04-2011, 07:31 PM
We were there December 1-8 last year, I believe this was Pop Warner time. There were just a couple of days where the buses seemed a little busier with large groups of teens, but they didn't bother us at all--perfectly well behaved.

Overall, however, it was MUCH more crowded than we had anticipated, even with the Christmas Parade taping in MK that weekend. I'd always been told that early December was slower than September, but I did not find that to be the case at all, and will probably never return at that time. Plus it was FREEZING (unseasonably, I think, but still!)

Of course, I can say all that now, having been at WDW while everything was decorated for the holidays. If you've never been at that time, it's worth it, at least once.

buddie
10-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Large groups of one kind or another are at WDW year round. Pop Warner is just one of many, they're not an issue.

Strmchsr
10-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Overall, however, it was MUCH more crowded than we had anticipated, even with the Christmas Parade taping in MK that weekend. I'd always been told that early December was slower than September, but I did not find that to be the case at all, and will probably never return at that time. Plus it was FREEZING (unseasonably, I think, but still!)

That is definitely the case. December has become MUCH more crowded in the last 5-6 years. Basically from Thanksgiving week on it's no longer a slow season but several of the guidebooks keep calling it such.

Mogie
10-05-2011, 09:53 AM
I ended up booking the Dolphin for Fri 12/9 - Tues 12/13 TouringPlans is reporting that Fri and Sat will be a 3 and a 5 respectively. I'm guessing since its the last day of Pop Warner it will be pretty busy. But hoping Sun, Mon and Tues won't be too crowded.

I have to admit I'm spoiled...I really only go in September when all the kids are back in school and parks feel almost empty (2008,2010) I haven't been to Disney in December since 1988!

brivers222
10-05-2011, 10:41 AM
what made you change to the 9th? you could get free dining if you went with your original 10th - 14th?

we will be arriving the 9th (have MVMCP that night) and then the 10th we will be at Epcot for NPH's Candlelight Processional :)

minnie04
10-05-2011, 03:45 PM
We have been their both as players and visitors. I can tell you as players (baseball) we did not have time to hit the parks it’s a very busy schedule for the kids. It's up very early and long days at the Wide World of Sports Complex, Yes you will see some of them in the parks, but that’s usually when they have been eliminated and they take advantage of the tickets they get. Others hit the road. They usually stay at the All Stars... mostly sports and sometimes spill into the moderates. We have never had any problems with any of the kids they are just having a good time. The food courts get really crazy with kids hanging out, but you aren’t staying at the AS so you shouldn’t have any problems...I used to be afraid to book when they were going, but really they are in bed early so the nights aren’t crazy loud :mickey: