PDA

View Full Version : Book on Epcot

azcavalier
10-03-2011, 01:49 PM
For my birthday, my wife gave me "The Epcot Explorer's Encyclopedia" by R.A. Pedersen. Obviously, my wife knows me well, and Epcot is my favorite park.

I have seen many threads on Intercot where people have asked for good, in-depth books about WDW or various parks. The usual answer is that there really aren't any truly in-depth ones, or maybe the Imagineer's Guides fit the bill. Well, there is no book more in-depth than this one.

It's a new book, as it's got a 2011 copyright/publishing date. Here's what it talks about...

Every single attraction that ever was, in detail, at Epcot. It goes through every iteration of every ride, with dates, details, and tidbits. I find it a fascinating read, as it talks about the attractions that were long since gone before I started frequenting WDW. I see a lot of talk on here about Body Wars and Horizons, but I never got to experience those. This book actually walks you through the pavilions the way they were, along with ride walk-thru's. Then it chronicles the changes, when they happened, and why they happened, along with who was in charge of them and who designed them.

I really hope that he comes out with one for the Magic Kingdom.

DizneyRox
10-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Sounds like a good one. I might need to pick that up!

Scar
10-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Does it go in-depth about the planning and construction of the park?

brownie
10-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Walt Disney's EPCOT Center by Richard Beard (1982) is a good one about Epcot. The development and initial attractions and pavilions are discussed.

azcavalier
10-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Does it go in-depth about the planning and construction of the park?

Not really...at least, not yet. It's more about each individual attraction/building/space once you get into the park. But it does devote two whole pages to the parking lot!

It generally picks up with why it's now called Epcot vs. EPCOT center, and the various name changes from opening day, and it talks about the space that the park occupies, including the actual addresses for the various pavilions in the park along the "Avenue of the Stars".

DizneyRox
10-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Walt Disney's EPCOT Center by Richard Beard (1982) is a good one about Epcot. The development and initial attractions and pavilions are discussed.
+1 By far the best book on EPCOT Center I've seen.

johnO
10-04-2011, 06:36 AM
I recently picked up a gem; 'Since the World Began' by Jeff Kurtti. Great book, im still reading it, its about the conception, construction and life of WDW over the first 25 years. Its a must have for true WDW fans / geeks (like myself) :blush: