PDA

View Full Version : Annoyed with Disneyland

meldan98
10-03-2011, 12:38 PM
I am usually the first to step up and defend Disneyland to those that have complaints or have something negative to say about Disneyland, so this is a first for me.

My daughter has a gymnastics competition in California Adventure. We knew about this a long time ago, so I got an annual pass for me, since I would be going several times throughout the year, including the competition. In years past, you would buy your tickets through Disney (if necessary) and then add on your competition wristband to get into the show. This year, you buy your tickets through Disney, but now, you can't use your annual pass and buy a wristband. You have to buy a ticket to get into the park to see the competition. So, now I've got to pay an extra $80 on top of what I've already paid for my annual pass to get into the park to see my daughter's show, instead of the $ for the wristband.

Does anyone know the number for the department I would call to complain about this?

VWL Mom
10-03-2011, 08:23 PM
I can understand your being annoyed, it really makes no sense unless it's being treated as a special event. That doesn't seem the case since you have to buy a wristband for the show.

Did you try calling the AP desk or calling back and speaking to another CM?

tinkwest
10-03-2011, 09:14 PM
It has always been my understanding that to participate in any special activity was a separate ticket, even if it was held during regular park hours. My daughter used to attend performing arts workshops (Magic Music Days) at Disneyland and even though it only took up a portion of the day (the rest of the day was spent with classmates simply enjoying the parks) she could not use her annual pass and pay the "difference" for the workshop. She had to pay the full price for admission/workshop. Had I chosen to chaperone I could not have used my pass either.

However, if you have attended this event in the past under different circumstances I would double check your information and I think that your first phone call should be to Annual Passport Member Services at (714) 781-4567.

I'm sure you will be disappointed if they confirm what you have previously been told, but remember that policies do change over the years. If they can not answer your questions or if you want to investigate further or lodge a complaint with another department I would assume they will be able to send you in the right direction.

BrerGnat
10-04-2011, 10:03 AM
That's really a bummer!

If it's a new policy, and you were able to use your AP for admission last year, I would lodge a complaint. However, I wouldn't expect any special treatment or compensation. Perhaps they need the "ticket fee" to offset the cost of holding the competition there.

Really take a look at how much you spent on the AP, and decide if you would have STILL purchased it had the competition not been a part of your decision. I always found that if I was going to Disneyland for 5 or more visits in any given year, the AP was worth it. If this is not the case for you, chalk it up to lesson learned, and don't renew the AP next year using the gymnastics competition as a way to justify it.

meldan98
11-09-2011, 01:50 PM
So, here is an update.

I contacted Passholder Guest Services and they informed me that it isn't a Disney policy to require the ticket purchase, however, it appears that it might be a requirement by Group Sales, which Guest Services isn't aware of.

Long story short, I've got to pay $80 to get into the park and attend my daughter's competition. Oh well! It's only money right?

Disney4us2
11-09-2011, 07:31 PM
I was really hoping that they would let you use your AP.

I may have the same problem with my DD. There is a possible girl scout day with a private party. I will have to buy my DD a ticket that includes the admission to be at the event with the other scouts. I will just opt to not go to the event and have a day to myself at DL with my pass.:D While they are in the park, I can hang out with them with the exception of going in for the dining part of their party.

It really kills me that I need to pay a separate admission when she has a pass.

meldan98
11-10-2011, 02:58 PM
The person coordinating the event said that the ticket we buy is just a standard ticket and I'll still get a wristband for the event, so he suggested that I just hold on to the ticket and use it on a later visit. He said that is what most of the people are doing that have passes. I guess I'll just see what happens when we get the tickets.

Thanks for all of your suggestions!