PDA

View Full Version : Is driving to parks a good idea? [merged]

DisneyRN
10-02-2011, 01:55 PM
As we will have our car and we are staying on property, is it a good idea to drive to parks? I am fearful of long lines for Pop Century buses.

So, good idea or bad idea? :confused:

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-02-2011, 02:17 PM
You'll get a bunch of different answers on this, but for us, we drive to most of the parks, most of the time.

We do take Disney transport to MK, since it drops you off right at the front of the park, instead of the TTC.

We find that it is easier to come and go without waiting for a bus, and we always get a seat. I've found that we can get to the parks more quickly on our own, even with having to park and (sometimes) take the tram to the front gate. Plus, one of DD's favourite rides is the parking lot tram!

Strmchsr
10-02-2011, 02:31 PM
I've found driving to Epcot and DAK is worth it for us, but we do better just taking the Disney transportation to MK and DHS. Also, if we're trying to hit park opening, we'll often drive as the buses' can be nuts first thing in the morning (at any resort), but we don't find it too bad once the parks are open.

brownie
10-02-2011, 03:21 PM
We've found driving to and from the parks works out better for us. We may use Disney transportation to return to our resort and then return to the parks during the day, though.

faline
10-02-2011, 03:25 PM
As noted, you'll find differing opinions on this topic. Overall, it's a matter of personal choice. Personally, I prefer to use Disney transportation even when we do have a car available to us.

HoosierDisneyFan
10-02-2011, 03:53 PM
we always use Disney Transportation. One item to consider is if you feel comfortable driving in WDW? Do you know where you are going? Big place and it can be confusing. We generally take the buses and go early to avoid crowds and have no issues. There are be lines from time to time with disney transportation (but there can be lines at the toll booths and getting out of the parks as well). My rule of thumb is that if you are going to the parks with al the crowds (or leveing when everyone else is leaving) there will be lines regardless if you are driving or taking the bus.

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
10-02-2011, 05:04 PM
If going to the Magic Kingdom, ride the bus. The rest, I would drive to. I think it really depends on if you are in a hurry or not.

wdwfan
10-02-2011, 05:06 PM
We never use Disney transportation anymore. Used to, but after renting car the first time, that's the way for us. It's very easy to drive around WDW, signs everywhere. Even driving offsite it not that difficult.

Melanie
10-02-2011, 05:34 PM
You'll get a bunch of different answers on this, but for us, we drive to most of the parks, most of the time.

We do take Disney transport to MK, since it drops you off right at the front of the park, instead of the TTC.

We find that it is easier to come and go without waiting for a bus, and we always get a seat. I've found that we can get to the parks more quickly on our own, even with having to park and (sometimes) take the tram to the front gate. Plus, one of DD's favourite rides is the parking lot tram!

:ditto: to everything Heather said.

I can't stress enough though to take the bus to MK. Makes a world of difference, unless you are just set on riding the monorail or the ferry.

jillluvsdisney
10-02-2011, 05:39 PM
There are times when driving is a good idea.

1. You have an early ADR for breakfast and want to make sure you get there on time.

2. You like to park hop and need to leave one park for another for an ADR.

3. You like to break up your day and go back to the resort. (Assuming your resort is not on ther monorail.

4. You would like to make it to the rope drop at any park on time.

Time is money at WDW. Waiting for a bus can take a lot longer than people anticipate. I seem to read a lot of people being late to ADRs because they underestimated their time needed to get there.

TheHD
10-02-2011, 06:07 PM
If there's room in the budget, we will get and use a rental car. It almost always seemed faster then taking WDW transportation. Waiting for the buses seems hit-or-miss on whether it will be a short wait or a long wait. If you have your own car, you decide on how long you are waiting.

DisneyRN
10-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Well, we are driving to Orlando, so the car will be there anyways. My brother insisted that we drive everywhere last December, which was great because we were at CB and would've been the last stop.

Though I don't feel as "Disneyworld-ish" if we don't use Disney transportation, it is REALLY nice to get to the parks before opening and park really close.

My only "qualm" about taking the buses to MK on this trip, is we plan on staying all day with MNSSHP that night. I am afraid that, by the time we leave, we will be exhausted and not in the mood for an overly crowded bus. :-o

Totally agree with the comments about using buses for a mid-day break. :thumbsup:

sixshot19
10-02-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm on holidays....Bus driver, move that bus....right back to my resort please.

Melanie
10-02-2011, 09:30 PM
My only "qualm" about taking the buses to MK on this trip, is we plan on staying all day with MNSSHP that night. I am afraid that, by the time we leave, we will be exhausted and not in the mood for an overly crowded bus. :-o

Ah, but let me caution you. Monorail is NOT running for MNSSHP, so your only option is the ferry boat. We waited FOREVER last week, and it was one of those uncomfortable, mobbed waits where we were all jammed onto the platform there at the ferry dock.

I'd really recommend the bus that night.

DisneyRN
10-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Ah, but let me caution you. Monorail is NOT running for MNSSHP, so your only option is the ferry boat. We waited FOREVER last week, and it was one of those uncomfortable, mobbed waits where we were all jammed onto the platform there at the ferry dock.

Ooohhhhh! Why isn't the monorail running? Does it run part of the night? :mad:

Melanie
10-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Ooohhhhh! Why isn't the monorail running? Does it run part of the night? :mad:

It's part of this new shutting down the monorail 1 hour after regular park closing. This is regardless of EMH nights or party nights. It really makes things hairy for parking lot users and monorail resort guests.

Disney Hungarian
10-02-2011, 10:05 PM

Mel, the monorail for the resorts was running until midnight on Sept. 27th. I was at the Poly having dinner during the MNSSHP and was able to take the monorail back to MK to catch a bus back to the AS-sports around 11pm. I don't know if this is a permanent thing or not.

Melanie
10-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Mel, the monorail for the resorts was running until midnight on Sept. 27th. I was at the Poly having dinner during the MNSSHP and was able to take the monorail back to MK to catch a bus back to the AS-sports around 11pm. I don't know if this is a permanent thing or not.

Hmmm, weird. It definitely wasn't running the 20th, and I know I've read since then about other party nights when it wasn't running.

I have no idea!

Goofy4TheWorld
10-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Though I don't feel as "Disneyworld-ish" if we don't use Disney transportation, it is REALLY nice to get to the parks before opening and park really close.

I remember the bus rides more than any other thing from my first trip that I can remember, and not taking them does fill like I am skipping a beloved attraction. However DS2's behavior forced me to drive occasionally on my last trip and it wasn't bad at all, but I never drove to MK.

My single worst bus experience in 7 years was a midnight departure from the MK following MVMCP. We got to the Pop Century line and it was unimaginably long. I could not get over how the worst line I had ever seen was at the end of a limited-attendance party at Midnight.

We loaded (and stood) on the FIFTH bus to load, but I will give props to Transporation because buses 2 & 3 and buses 4 & 5 both loaded "side-by-side" and moved things along as quickly as they could so the wait wasn't too bad (but the standing was). Despite how bad it was to stand in such a long line with a sleepy 2 year old who claimed he had a poop diaper (he was lying) while being held by a sleepy & pregnant wife, I would choose Pop Century again in a heartbeat. We weren't the only resort with bad lines but we were the only one that had an attendant working to move things along***.

***The attendant that was "working the line" that night was amazing, so much so that I emailed Disney to give him props. Every time we came back around the que on his side he would interact with my obviously-tired son and he kept DS laughing every time we passed by. This same guy was waving down idle buses to pull in and while he was loading two buses' worth of wheelchairs at once he threw wood blocks under the tires of each bus to keep them from pulling out and running over each other or one of us. I was just so amazed at his work ethic and was so glad he was assigned to the Pop line that night. Then we got the best bus driver we had in all of 2010 (William from Rhode Island) so even my worst bus experience exposed me to the best two CMs I had ever come across.

Am I rambling? :D It's becasue I love Pop so much! :number1:

Goofy4TheWorld
10-02-2011, 10:50 PM

Oh yea, an idea I had thought about after I got home (but not sure if one would be available) is to walk to the Contemporary then take a cab from there to Pop. The Pop Century bus line is half-way to the CR anyway so the walk wouldn't be too much worse. I always remember seeing cabs everywhere when I stayed at the CR but not sure if the MK closing rush might make them hard to get.

Tink#64
10-02-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm on holidays....Bus driver, move that bus....right back to my resort please.

:ditto: A few years ago we planned an extrememly spur of the moment trip & had to stay offsite the first few days & drive ourselves! :ack: It was wonderful when we finally got to move onto WDW property, park our van & let WDW haul us around! :cloud9: I guess we're lucky & haven't ever had any real issues with WDW tansportation & just prefer to let them do the "driving", whether it be bus, boat or monorail, to me that's one of the definite perks of staying at a WDW property! I truly feel like we're their guests and they take care of our needs! :thumbsup:

WDWCrazyKaren
10-03-2011, 08:17 AM
If you have a car available, I would drive it to MK or to any of the parks where you want to do the closing activity-Wishes, Illuminations, Fantasmic!, etc. When we do the evening closing fabulousness (yes, I made that word up), we actually take taxis back to the resort instead of the buses. Yes, it costs us about $15 per taxi ride, but it is a sanity-saving $15 in our books! Otherwise, I would take the buses if you aren't staying until park closing.

Mickey'sGirl
10-03-2011, 08:41 AM
We usually take WDW transportation to MK (for the reasons given earlier), and almost always drive to any of the other parks. I really prefer to drive and avoid the whole bus situation.

RBrooksC
10-03-2011, 10:05 AM
The last couple of times we have been there was stayed at a MK resort and drove to the parks with the exception of MK where we took Disney Transportation.

I would never use it for anything other than MK. I like to be able to come and go as I please. Also, if we want to go to DTD or some place else when leaving the park, it is easier to do.

I think having your own car gives much more freedom and control over the trip than does relying on public transportation.

tennantsrwe
10-03-2011, 10:26 AM
We usually always drive to the parks. With a stroller and backpacks it's just easier for us. Also there are times when I may leave the park early with our youngest DD and take the car back to the hotel incase I need it...and the DH and oldest DD stay and take the bus back to the room. On occassion we will take the bus once during our trip but that is usually to EPCOT or DHS. Since parking is free on property we usually take advantage of it.

wdwfansince75
10-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Again, by nature, I always see the glass as at least half full. Love parking the car and just relaxing...and an occasional delay getting back to the resort offsets fighting the traffic every day. Did drive almost every day one trip, to SoG...we had two ECV's, and driving was just more convenient on that trip. Since SoG guests now must pay for parking at the parks, we have just planned around the transportation available...But with just a short walk to the Poly, SoG is essentially a monorail resort.
Since we usually go in the summer, and get Hoppers, we finish most evenings at MK, and take the monorail/boat/ferry back to Poly and walk, or to the TTC, and catch the SoG bus. On those few occasions when we spend the evening at EPCOT, we enjoy the convenience of the monorail and SoG bus. To us, there is no advantage to driving...even for AK or DHS..especially now that we would have to pay to park there.

mickeyman42
10-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Never would have considered driving until we did. Now I would never ever rely on the buses. Driving is just so much easier, except at mk, it's a bit of a hassle there but still better than having to wait.

joonyer
10-03-2011, 11:49 AM
As was said earlier, you'll get opinions on this issue for both sides of the equation. It's really just personal preference so you can't go wrong either way.
We always drive to WDW so we always have our own car available. That said, we usually take the buses to every park, I just like not having to drive around. We do drive when we have a pre-opening ADR, or when we expect crowds to be heavy at closing, but almost never at MK; the bus stops are just too close to the park entrance there, while the parking lot is a LONG way away, trams not withstanding. We have found that when we linger leaving MK at closing, which we like to do anyway, most of the big bus lines have dissipated by the time we get out. If you want to leave MK right after the closing fireworks, there will almost always be a wait at the value resort buses. But we are never in a hurry to leave the parks, so it's not an issue for us.

SandmanGStefani24
10-03-2011, 01:44 PM
sure it is! I always drive in. I have used the buses before, and am glad they are there, but nothing is better than driving in when you're ready to go, and leaving when you're ready to go. plus, nice a/c, and quiet/noise if you want it also. ;)

I am big on doing things on my schedule when on vacation, so the car is a must for me.

Scar
10-03-2011, 02:06 PM
If I have a car, I drive. I think the bus system stinks and unless they get it right, I'll always prefer to walk, monorail, boat, or drive... in that order.

However...

If you want to hear the latest details about the new park they are building, take the bus.

RBrooksC
10-04-2011, 11:41 AM
When we were in WDW in May, my son wanted to ride the monorail to Epcot. We were staying in the CR. The Epcot line was shut down and they were offering bus service. I wanted to go back to the hotel and take our car. My son, who is five, begged me to ride the bus. We ended up standing on the bus for our ride to Epcot. Boy, nothing like standing on your transportation before walking around Epcot all day.

brivers222
10-04-2011, 12:39 PM
I was going to use the Disney transportation, but the recent closing of the monorail an hour after park closing really put a cramp on that plan considering we have a lot of late night dining out side of our hotel.

But when I can i have made it a point to use disney transportation this upcoming trip

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-09-2011, 09:34 PM
There have been times that it has taken forever waiting for a bus while AT the resort, to go to the parks. So we've hopped in the car and driven. But we've also taken the bus a lot of times too. It's nice to have the option.
But I'm not a fan of driving to the MK either. Then you have to take multiple forms of transportation to get to the car again, but if you've taken the bus, you can go right out and hopefully hop on it.

buddie
10-10-2011, 06:39 AM
The buses are fine.
It's very simple, stay away from the peak times. Go when others aren't, if you don't want to deal with crowded buses. 60-90 minutes either way will make a difference.

Katzateer
10-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Have had rental cars at WDW but we take the buses. Talking to other visitors on the bus is fun and we don't get lost going back to resort after long day at the parks. We had gotten lost a few times going " home" and have seen some crazy drivers on property.

Renfairwedding
10-11-2011, 09:09 AM
With my EWC we bring the van most of the time. So much easer then loading onto the bus's plus we keep a cooler with cold drinks for the ride back to the resort.

Mogie
10-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Yeah this is a tough one.

I can see the benefit of having a car as being ultimate convenience. Coming and going, not waiting for crowded buses.

The negative is that you have to worry about driving and parking, and I think it takes you out of the magic of the world a bit. It's nice to just rely totally on Disney services. It's all also included in the price you pay for park admission and hotel stay.

I would say if you are going at a time of year when it is less crowded, take the bus. But if its super crowded and you want to get to the parks as early and quickly as possible take the car.

mrsgaribaldi
10-13-2011, 08:14 AM
We always drive. We get the car at the airport and we alway go off Disney property a few times each trip.

clou1028
10-13-2011, 08:32 AM
I've done it both ways, and I have to say I really prefer having a car and driving to the parks. It's just so much more convenient to me. When I'm ready to go, I just hop in the car and go! Parking is free when you stay at WDW resort.

There is the matter of parking and walking to the tram once you get there, but overall I still prefer it. The trams always seem to be there by the time i get to the loading area, or if they aren't it's never a long wait.

minnie-mouse
10-18-2011, 10:12 AM
We usually stay at Poly, our next trip we will be at a moderate or Swan/Dolphin. Do you think it is faster to drive your own car to parks from these resorts than take the bus? I do remember the parking lots being so huge that when we drove it was a lot of walking just to get to the entrance of parks. Obviously I know you have to stand and wait for bus to arrive, but would buses drop you off right in front and be less walking to entrance?

joonyer
10-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Riding the bus to MK is definitely easier (faster, at least) than driving. No tram, then having to board monorail or ferry after parking, and vice-versa when leaving MK. The buses drop off right at the front of the park.

For other parks, it's a matter of personal preference and convenience. We like to leave the driving to Disney and don't mind waiting a few minutes for a bus. But many folks prefer driving to the parks, especially if they have small children, strollers, etc.

DisneyBunch5
10-18-2011, 11:50 AM
We prefer the busses because we can get back to our resort, no matter where we end up at the end of the day. We might not finish the day at the same park that we started at.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-18-2011, 01:24 PM
I think you will find this is a matter of personal preference....I know of friends who would never even consider using the bus system and drive everywhere they go in WDW...on the other hand we would never consider using our own car, its one of the perks for us to be able to arrive at our resort, park and not have to drive again until the day we checked out. As to POP in particular, I didn't find their bus service to be any worse than any other resort we've stayed out. Waits were anywhere from 5 to 25 minutes just depending on what bus shows up.

diz_girl
10-19-2011, 12:53 PM
I think that it is a good idea, especially if you plan to arrive at park opening or leave at park closing. You're pretty much guaranteed long lines and packed buses at those times. We're staying at BLT and so travel to the MK and EPCOT are covered, but we will most likely drive to AK and HS. If we are going to EPCOT and staying for Illuminations, then we will take the monorail back to the TTC and find some other way to get back to BLT if the monorail is closed because I'm not going on a packed bus back to the CR.

I've mentioned this on other threads, but on our last trip to WDW, we took the bus to EPCOT in the morning. It took a while for the bus to arrive (about 20-30 minutes) and it was packed, so I think that it was shared with other resorts. A man was standing in the aisle texting and when the bus turned, he landed on the woman next to me. I mean, this was a big guy landing on a petite woman and he really squished her. My only DS at the time (then 17 months) was sitting on my mother's lap across the aisle, so thankfully he wasn't in any danger. If that guy landed on my son, he really could have gotten hurt. We've got two kids now and I'm not going to risk having a 200 lb man falling on my 20 lb infant son.

Scar
10-19-2011, 03:27 PM
... but would buses drop you off right in front and be less walking to entrance?Yes. Mk and DHS would always be less of a walk as the buses do drop you off right in front. Epcot and AK bus stops are at least twice as far away. The tram would mean less walking if you were parked near the center of the lot, but there's no way to predict that you won't be parked at the far end of the lot.

CosmicRay
10-22-2011, 10:57 AM
We learned a few years back while staying at POP that the lines were LONG after the park closed. We waited for 45 min. and decided to catch a bus to Epcot then back to our resort. But after that day, we decided to take our car and enjoy that much more. We can sit in our quiet car or play our Disney music on the way back to the resort. Plus we get there as early as we can then we get a good parking spot right up front.