PDA

View Full Version : OKW a little disappointing

epceddie
10-01-2011, 12:48 PM
My wife and I are just back from a Sept. 25-30 trip to OKW, our DVC home resort, and we had a disappointing week.
We had all kinds of problems with the jacuzzi in the room (something my wife had been looking forward to for months) and we had to make four calls to the front desk/maintenance department to get it fixed. We had people show up who flat out lied to us about how they were going to get right on it and get it fixed ASAP. The lack of communication between the night and day shifts was shocking. They had no idea what the other was doing. We checked in Sunday and the problem was fixed until late Tuesday night. The thing that really bugged me was the fact that nobody even left a little note or a phone message telling us that the jacuzzi had been fixed. That's just common courtesy. The lack of customer service made me question why I was using my precious DVC points at a place like that.
We haven't had many problems in the past, but this week soured us a little on OKW.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Sorry about that...seems like they could have moved you if they couldn't get it fixed

hel5165
10-01-2011, 02:52 PM
We just returned from a week at OKW our home resort. I understood that the rooms had been refurbished. They have been refreshed -- a coat of paint and new drapes and bedding does not constitute refurbishment.

The walls were gouged and scraped, the carpet stained and badly soiled and mold was growing in the bathroom.

The refrigerator was next to the bed -- all the charm of a motel 8. Definitely not DELUXE accommodation. So I will send a letter to DVC headquarters and I will certainly not be recommending the DVC.

faline
10-01-2011, 03:23 PM
We're booked at Old Key West for an upcoming stay so I'm a bit concerned after reading these posts!

Checkers
10-01-2011, 05:23 PM
We will be there in a few weeks staying in a studio. We were there in March with our family and stayed in a 2br and didn't have any problems other than there was trash down around the water that magically appeared on our balcony on the 4th day we were there. I went directly to the manager and it was removed within the hour. However, I do agree that while the refurbishments are nice, the bathrooms are in dire need of major work and when I got my survey when we returned home I laid it out how disappointed I was that the bathrooms were barely touched. It certainly didn't spoil our vacation but we were surprised how little attention had been given to both bathrooms.

Disney4us2
10-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Sorry your stay was less than magical at OKW.

We stayed at OKW in a studio, so no jacuzzi there. We were all delighted at how nice it was. The fridge was not next to the bed, but in the kitchenette area. No problems with the room at all.

We were located near the HH, just over the bridge by bus stop #1. It was a great location. I really would not mind staying there again. I loved the feel of that resort.

Sadly we were only there for one night before moving to our new home at AKL Kidani.

Disdude
10-09-2011, 08:10 PM
We're booked at Old Key West for an upcoming stay so I'm a bit concerned after reading these posts!

We are in the same boat. Last time we stayed there I thought it was terrible. I was really looking forward to the upcoming stay because of the refurbishment it was supposed to have. Now...

wildernesslady
10-10-2011, 08:43 AM
We just returned from OKW. We had a studio in building 27. It was a great location. Close to the 1st bus stop and the Hospitality House. Our studio was very nice. The last time I stayed there was before the refurb and I felt the improvements were well done. The bathrooms could use a little update, but we had nothing to complain about. Very nice and laid back vibe. I don't think I would recommend the boat transportation though. It took us an hour to get from DTD to the resort. We had to switch boats midway. If we knew that, we would have taken the bus. I would definitely stay there again.

Mousemates
10-10-2011, 09:43 AM
from the tone of many of the posts it looks like OKW won't get checked off our list of resorts we have stayed at anytime soon...we had waited on staying there until after the refurb was complete, but it sounds like the refurb was very superficial.