PDA

View Full Version : recently back

slottedpig
10-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Sep 21 – 24 trip
Recently back from a very nice trip. First time without kids and had not been since 2004. Also first time in off-season.

Flew in Wednesday AM and gave Magical Express a try. Everything went smooth and you can’t beat the price. Stopped at Riverside and Boardwalk before dropping us off at Yacht Club. I had used the online check in so we just needed our key which took a second. Our room was ready when we arrived at 11:00 AM. I had reserved a garden view and we got a very nice second floor room overlooking the quiet pool.

Walked to Epcot to spend a couple hours in the park. For this trip we had a 10 minute rule. If the standby line was 10 minutes or less we would do the ride. Anything longer was either a fastpass or a maybe next time. Soarin was about 40 minutes when we got there so we got a fastpass for it and then did the Land, Living Seas, and Spaceship Earth. Had lunch at Sunshine Seasons which has some OK choices for park fare. I liked the Mongolian Beef and my wife had a turkey sandwich. Soarin was great – we had been on it at Disneyland many years ago but never at Epcot. The Imagination ride is pretty lame.

Headed back to Yacht Club to try out Stormalong Bay and loved it. Just soakin up sun, swimming, and knocking back some cold ones. Late afternoon shower drove us inside so we explored the rest of the Yacht and Beach club. Beach club has way more kids while Yacht club was quieter and had a couple of small conventions going on. Found the Crews Cup Lounge which is very nice –lots of dark hard wood and nautical ambiance. Decided to go ahead and have dinner there – had a nice pasta dish off the limited bar menu.

Rain stopped so we headed back to Epcot to stroll World Showcase. Also went back to Test Track which we like a lot and finished the day with Illuminations.

Second day went to have breakfast at the Captain’s Grille at 8:00. Got seated pretty quickly and liked the food but man was it slow. It was almost 9 before we finished. I guess we should have done the buffet but I really don’t like those – I tend to eat too much and food is just not as good on a steamer table. So we then walked to the Studio which takes about a half hour. Lovely walk past the Boardwalk and along the canal. TSM was of course already crowded – 70 minutes standby and 4 hour fastpass return. We did the Tower which is one of our very favorites and then we tried the new Star Tours which we also really like. The Roller Coaster was down and the park was getting really crowded – everything was way over 10 minutes – so we bailed. On the walk back we decided to explore the Boardwalk and the Dolphin/Swan – scouting out potential future stays. For the price the Dolphin looks great for us – not much more than a moderate but deluxe amenities and Epcot location.

Afternoon back at the pool. Had lunch and a great desert at Beaches and Cream. This was our worst weather day – rained off and on much of the afternoon but we just alternated between the pool and reading on the patio in a rocking chair. For dinner we had an ADR at Chef’s de France. Went early to catch the movie which we always love – such great music. Chef’s was a bit of a disappointment. They were running a bit behind – I suspect with the rain folks were lingering over dinner more than usual. My wife asked for the vegetable lasagna and I ordered the chicken dish. We also got a bottle of wine. Our bread, the wine, and our dinner all came out at the same time and all within about 3 minutes of taking our order. I guess they just make everything ahead of time and keep plates under a heat lamp? They could at least wait a few minutes on the entrée and pretend they just made it. My plate was very hot to the touch and the food dried out. In retrospect I misinterpreted some friends recommendation and really should have gone to the Bistro. Live and learn. Rain finally stopped though so we browsed some more countries . Road the Mexico boat ride which I think is an embarrassment.

Third day was Magic Kingdom. For breakfast today we tried the counter service in Beach Club. It was quick but the choices were limited. We tried the French Toast sticks – not so good. Bus was crowded but timely and got to MK right at opening and had a great time. Buzz was down but we did Space, Splash, POC, Jungle ( great captain), BTMRR, Haunted Mansion. I think we needed 1 fastpass but everything else met the 10 minute rule. I’ll never go other than off season again.

We took the boat over to the Poly to check it out. It is beautiful but we decided we like the Epcot location better. Walked to the TTC and grabbed the monorail and then strolled through Epcot back to our hotel. Had to hit the pool for a little while and then had ADRs for Flying Fish. Went early for a drink at Belle Vu lounge which is nice but not as good as Crew’s Cup. Dinner was fantastic. I had the signature snapper dish and my wife had scallops over risotto. Both were outstanding and our waitress was great. Spent the evening on the Boardwalk which is quite nice – couple street performers, nice crowd for people watching. You can see the MK fireworks off in the distance and then we walked over to the bridge to catch Illuminations.

Fourth Day we bought cereal and fruit the night before and just ate in the room. Got an early start and went to early EMH at the Studio. Got there before rope drop and joined the hoard heading for TSM. I’m glad we sacrificed the sleep – that is a very cute and fun ride. We also did the Tower again and road the roller coaster. Then we caught a bus to AK and almost got there for its opening – probably 9:15 when we arrived. We had only been to AK once ever and had not done much then due to crowds so much of this was actually new to us. Everest was a decent coaster but what a fantastic queue area. Dinosaur was fun. We like the Bug show but there were a lot of petrified and screaming little kids who didn’t. Our safari was excellent and the gorillas were very active on the Pangani walk through. Beautiful park to just walk though and linger over.

Dinner this night was at Citricos. We went early to explore the Grand Floridian. Lovely hotel but we like the Yacht Club better. Another fabulous meal though. I had a snapper dish and my wife chicken. Very friendly and efficient service, nice presentation, very well prepared food. Tough call between here and Flying Fish – I would strongly recommend either.

Overall a very relaxing trip. Loved the Yacht Club and will go back if we can afford it ( 40% off pin code this time). Loved the off season crowds. Loved the signature dining. Glad to answer any questions if I can.

disneymom15
10-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Sounds like you had a very nice, laid back vacation. Nice report!

faline
10-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Very nice trip! Thanks for sharing it with us!

You know, the resorts that become are favorites are really all part of our perspective! I really enjoy the resorts in the Magic Kingdom area and clearly you lean towards those in the Epcot area - just proves Disney has something for everyone!

MinnieMommie
10-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the trip report. Sounds like you had a very relaxed, enjoyable trip. Sounds like the 10 minute wait rule worked well for you. :mickey:

AgentC
10-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Sounds like a great trip. The Yacht Club/Beach CLub resorts are one of our favorites. Glad you had a good time there.

emerzmom
10-03-2011, 10:43 AM
It sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing.
:mickey:
Julie

slottedpig
10-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Very nice trip! Thanks for sharing it with us!

You know, the resorts that become are favorites are really all part of our perspective! I really enjoy the resorts in the Magic Kingdom area and clearly you lean towards those in the Epcot area - just proves Disney has something for everyone!

Isn't that the truth. I couldn't point to a single flaw or anything specific I didn't like about the Poly or Grand F. Epcot resorts just fit us better. Vive la difference.

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the report!

We used to be "Epcot" kinda people. Now, 2 kids later, we've becom MK kinda people! :thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Sounds like a great trip with some great restaurants....