PDA

View Full Version : What day do you travel on?

minnie-mouse
10-01-2011, 10:08 AM
I was just wondering what day of the week most people start their vacation to WDW on? We usually arrive on a Monday and found checkins to always be quick and easy then. How is it to check in on a saturday?

disneymom15
10-01-2011, 10:31 AM
We usually arrive on Sunday,
however, our upcoming trip has us arriving late Saturday night. I think this will be our first ever Saturday arrival.

Hull-onian
10-01-2011, 10:33 AM
We travel on a Tuesday because the air fare with Jet Blue is reasonable. The traffic to Logan International Airport is not as heavy on a Tuesday. We fly out at about 10:30 and land around 1:30. After getting luggage, etc. transportation to our destination, it's time to check in, go for a quick swim, and then out to dinner. On Wednesday, we start going to the parks. However, this time we are going to Universal Studios and Sea World. But we will do the same routine as when we go to Disney. We are so looking forward to our trip. And you and your family have a great time was well.:mickey:

faline
10-01-2011, 10:44 AM
It totally varies from trip to trip! On our next trip, we'll be arriving on a Friday.

Jasminegirlsmom
10-01-2011, 03:11 PM
I was just wondering what day of the week most people start their vacation to WDW on? We usually arrive on a Monday and found checkins to always be quick and easy then. How is it to check in on a saturday?

We'll be arriving this Monday. We usually arrive on Saturdays so this is a first. It's good to hear that check ins are quick.

Hog
10-01-2011, 03:17 PM
We usually travel on Thursdays, we have just found the best airfares on Thursdays. Also it just works out better with my work schedule and I have to take less time off work.

Checkers
10-01-2011, 05:40 PM
We usually travel on a Thurs. or a Sat. This time we are traveling on Sat. I do agree when you travel on a week day the airfares are generally less expensive and check-in is a breeze. I do recommend if you are traveling on a weekend that you do online check-in. Just makes it a little easier if you arrive at your resort at a busy time.

WDWCrazyKaren
10-03-2011, 08:19 AM
We used to travel Saturday-Saturday, but we have learned that Tuesday-Tuesday gets us better prices on airfare, and a lot less congestion checking in. We have to take an extra day off work doing this however, so this may not be doable for some folks who are only taking 5 days off work.

Dragongirlx
10-03-2011, 11:22 AM
We travel on a Sunday and arrive Sunday evening.
Thats a nice 9 hour flight from the UK.
That means are first day in the parks is a Monday

darthmacho
10-03-2011, 03:04 PM
We always travel on Sunday, so that we can get to the airport with minimal traffic. We learned our lesson in 1999 when we almost missed our flight when our Logan Express bus slowed to a crawl in the so-called "express" lane during Monday morning rush hour traffic in Boston. Never again. We were lucky that it was prior to 9/11, so they pushed us through with seconds to spare. I don't think that would happen these days, and rightly so.

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-03-2011, 05:06 PM
We usually leave home on Saturday (we drive) and check-in on Sunday. There usually is no more than a few people in line ahead of us. However, 2 years ago when we arrived during dinner hours (around 5:30-6pm) it was mass hysteria checking in at SSR. If we arrive before 4pm, we usually are one of 3-4 people checking in. (and usually all hands are on deck at the front desk which I am assuming is gearing up for the 4-7pm checkin frenzy.)

Tink#64
10-04-2011, 12:24 AM
We almost always arrive on a Saturday & have experienced check in's anywhere from 7 Am til late afternoon, and never really experienced a lengthy wait! I'm sure we've never waited more than 20 minutes or so in line, :thumbsup: to all the fabulous CM's! I'd have to say in our experience the earlier the better tho, it does seem that there are more guests arriving after noon. We never do online check in as I always have a room request & am willing to stand in line to be happy with our room location for our week+ stay! :blush:

azcavalier
10-04-2011, 09:03 AM
I think that it more depends on what level resort you're staying in. We've always found check-ins at the All Stars to be somewhat lengthy...always a line, regardless of day. But the last three years we've stayed at POR, and always arrived on Saturday around 4pm, and there is usually only one or two people in the line.

brivers222
10-04-2011, 12:36 PM
we are doing a Friday - Monday so that we can get all 4 weekend days in and not have them be travel days

we also got a great deal on First Class Delta flight using those days so its all good :)

PETE FROM NYC
10-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Last 2 trips we drove down. Both were September trips, both arriving at WDW on a Tuesday.
2009: check in at Pop, no problems
2010: check in at BLT, also no problems.

Dave H
10-04-2011, 05:51 PM
This year I am planning to take the auto-train to Sanford, so the plan is to leave Virginia on a Saturday, arriving in WDW on Sunday, and leave WDW on a Saturday.

tinksmom02
10-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Most trips we take the first available Saturday am flight out of NJ. For our 2010 trip we did a Wednesday evening flight, in attempts to save money and keep the kids out of school less. I have to say, I really didn't like getting to the World so late. We had to get our own luggage (really not a big deal), but by the time we got to the resort we were all hungry and WIRED, and there was little to eat and nothing to do! So we'll go back to our "leave the house at 3am and be in the World by 10am and be exhausted by 4pm" ways.

minnie-mouse
10-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Thanks everyone for all the responses, it was very helpful.

TinkerbellT421
10-06-2011, 09:30 AM
We used to arrive on a tuesday and leave the following saturday or sunday. But when work told us (we both work in the same place) that we couldnt take longer than a week due to it be a hinderance with us both being out for the same department we had to take advantage of weekend travel to get the most out of our trip. So the past couple of years we have arrived to disney on a Saturday. I dont know if its the time we arrive? But we have had nothing but good time and good luck with arriving on a Saturday. We take the earliest possible flight out in the AM. Usually around 6:30-6:45ish time frame its changed the past couple years. Usually we arrive in disney by 10:30ish. Our luggage is always in the room by 11:30 and we are changed (from our burly warm clothes from leaving freezing RI) into our Disney weather apparel :) And Im shopping by Noon. DBF hates the shopping part. :shop::spend::faint:

minnie-mouse
10-06-2011, 09:36 AM
LOL. Thanks Tinkerbell, that sounds like our schedule with arriving that early in the day, so that is good to hear weekends work well. (Also, sounds a lot like my DH with hating the shopping :D)

minnie04
10-06-2011, 11:45 AM
So we'll go back to our "leave the house at 3am and be in the World by 10am and be exhausted by 4pm" ways.

We used to leave at 5 am... Not any more we drive usually leaving on Thursday to make a long weekend. The kids are older now so there is no rush to get their and get to the parks. I kind of miss those days of packing the night before (still do that) and leaving before the sun came up. The kids would be so excited to go. Now it’s “will get here when we get there” still with excitment , but no hurry... :(

minnie04
10-06-2011, 11:53 AM
LOL. Thanks Tinkerbell, that sounds like our schedule with arriving that early in the day, so that is good to hear weekends work well. (Also, sounds a lot like my DH with hating the shopping :D)

Oh my DH is the same with the shopping. I always get " really !! do we have to go in the stores" and i always reply YES!!! and ya know its so funny cuz he is always the one coming up to me with something to buy..:fresh:

TinkerbellT421
10-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Oh my DH is the same with the shopping. I always get " really !! do we have to go in the stores" and i always reply YES!!! and ya know its so funny cuz he is always the one coming up to me with something to buy..:fresh:

LOL! Sorry for the hijack here, but mine too!!! He hates the shopping part but about ten minutes into the store he goes "Hey did you see this this is all you"....and of course its mine and coming home with me!

minnie-mouse
10-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Yup, my DH is the same way! I always manage to do my shopping as we are walking out of the parks. That way he doesn't get annoyed with trying to fit all the bags underneath the stroller! lol. Or I just tell him we are "going to check out a resort", which we all know in girl terms means "going to buy lots in the gift shops!". ;)