PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with surprise...

disneyfan328
09-30-2011, 09:23 PM
So we are going to surprise the kids with a trip to disney on Christmas and I think I have that part of the surprise worked out. I have a letter to type up and some mickey mail coming (postcards that a fellow Intercot friend is going to send to me) and I am going to box it all up with some helium balloons in a big box with some personalized shirts, autograph pillow cases and things for the trip so when they open the box (either xmas eve or morning we haven't decided yet) they will be surprised with the trip........ Now for the tricky part. We are telling them in the letter that we are going 1/8 - 1/15 HOWEVER that is not the case. We are actually going to leave friday night Jan 6th. DH decided that we shouldn't tell them that and that we should send them to school on friday with a note for early dismissal for a dentist appt so they think they are going there before we go on the trip so they have beautiful smiles for all the pictures. Now I need a way or surprising them when we get to school to tell them that we are not going to the dentist but that we are leaving that very minute for the airport.

I'm drawing a blank on this one.....For our past two trips I surprised them once with a Disney Themed dinner - personal Pizza's shaped like mickey heads - indv. salads with cucumbers and cherry tomatoes slices to make mickey heads and cookies for dessert shaped like Mickey heads. the other trip I took a picture of the castle and printed on it (with photoshop) The Magic Awaits you in May. I sent the photo to wal mart and they printed it on a puzzle. For easter that year we hid the puzzle pieces in easter eggs and we had an easter egg hunt. Once they found all the eggs they put the puzzle together and figured out that we were going.

I am running out of ideas but want to do something special for them again. Any ideas are appreciated.

DisneyMom12
09-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Although I love the idea of surprising the kids, I just can't keep it a secret. You've done some great things. I love the puzzle idea.

I found on a website all kinds of Disney goodies. They have something you could print out that says We Are On Our Way To Disney World. It shows characters on a plane flying over Disney. There are a few choices, I could email it to you if you would like?

I just noticed there is one that says Surprise We Are Going To Disney Today!

tinklover
09-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Although I love the idea of surprising the kids, I just can't keep it a secret. You've done some great things. I love the puzzle idea.

I found on a website all kinds of Disney goodies. They have something you could print out that says We Are On Our Way To Disney World. It shows characters on a plane flying over Disney. There are a few choices, I could email it to you if you would like?

I just noticed there is one that says Surprise We Are Going To Disney Today!

could you please send me the link? we are surprising our girls with another trip in March along with their cousin.

To the OP: how about using window chalk and trace coloring pics on your car windows so when the kids walk out of the school thinking they are going to the dentist, they see all the Disney stuff on your windows. you could even write something like Disney or Bust on the windows as well. How exciting. I will never see a Christmas trip unless we move down there.

Donald
10-01-2011, 08:43 AM
You know it will be very disappointing for them to not go to the Dentist!:)

You could get them a Disney dental care package...Oral-B has Disney toothbrushes, flossers , and toothpaste (Crest--same company as Oral-B). That way there dental concerns are still taken care of! (spoken like a true dental professional:blush:!)

Good luck! Keep flossing! :blush: ( I had to do it!)

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-01-2011, 10:31 AM
You are all way more creative than me!

I would pick them up, say nothing and just head to the airport. See how long it takes them to figure it out.

Too bad you couldn't actually get your dentist's office to do you a favour ... you really head over there, and the receptionist hands them the Disney-inspired tooth care kits (love that idea above) and tells them to hurry, so as not to miss their plane!

DisneyMom12
10-01-2011, 12:09 PM
You know it will be very disappointing for them to not go to the Dentist!:)

You could get them a Disney dental care package...Oral-B has Disney toothbrushes, flossers , and toothpaste (Crest--same company as Oral-B). That way there dental concerns are still taken care of! (spoken like a true dental professional:blush:!)

Good luck! Keep flossing! :blush: ( I had to do it!)

Love it!

Janmac
10-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Too bad you couldn't actually get your dentist's office to do you a favour ... you really head over there, and the receptionist hands them the Disney-inspired tooth care kits (love that idea above) and tells them to hurry, so as not to miss their plane!

This is an awesome idea! You are creative. :D

disneyfan328, how old are your kids?

Jan

disneyfan328
10-01-2011, 08:14 PM
they are 9 and 11 but turning 10 and 12 right after xmas. I love the idea of the dentist giving them the toothbrushes etc! My only problem with doing that is that I am hoping to be able to head straight to the airport - HOWEVER since the kiddos don't think we are leaving until Sunday I am worried there will be something they needed/wanted to pack that isn't done. I am going to try and cover that by telling them we are busy on Saturday with a bday party or something and that they need to have everything together prior to that, but you know there will be something. I LOVE the idea of the car window chalk! I think that one may work out!

keep posting ideas if anyone else has them! I love love love surprises! I just wish someone did them more for me! lol anyone wanna call my husband on that one! lol:D

I like keeping it a secret as long as possible - its hard, but soooo totally worth it. They never figured out the Disney dinner thing until dessert - then my son said hey mom, those cookies look like Mickey heads! I just laughed it off and said huh, they kind of do! It was after dinner that we all sat down to watch a movie - a Disney one of course and then a big box was delivered to the door! It was filled with a letter inviting them to Disney and some new clothes and beach towels, autograph books etc. I want my kids to have these memories forever!

Janmac
10-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Regarding the packing, and missing something: you could tell your kids that you want to try something new, to reduce the stress of all the packing.

Or something to that effect :D

And tell them this time we're going to pack a little each night. Monday night pack shorts and shirts. Tuesday night pack undies and jammies. Wednesday night pack snacks or something. Thursday night pack the stuff they want to bring like books or ipods or whatever.

And that leaves you ready for your surprise on Friday.

But how cool would it be to get to the dentist and have the receptionist say, "I"m so sorry, we should have called you. We have a scheduling snafu and can't fit you in today. Would it be okay if you used these at Disney instead?!?" And hand over the Disney tooth care kits.

Your kids are still going to be surprised, because they'll think they're still going on Sunday. When you get in the car they'll be looking the kits over and not realizing they're on the way to the airport.

Jan

biodtl
10-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Make a sign that says something like "Disney Bound" and take it and a bunch of balloons to pick them up from school, then once you park at the school, attach the sign to the car & tie the balloons on a door handle or antenna, and when you come out of school, they will see it.

disneyfan328
10-04-2011, 07:39 PM
these are all wonderful suggestions! I like the Disney or bust thing and the balloons on the antenna.

DH wants to not say anything until we hit the airport! I don't know if I can manage that - plus it will kind of defeat that actual "moment" of surprise as they will figure it out I'm sure and I won't really get to see their faces!

I was also thinking of having one of my DH friends that is a cop pull us over on the way from the school to the parkway and really totally freak the kids out!!! Instead of him actually giving us a "ticket" It could be a "ticket" to DisneyWorld!!! hmmmm wonder if I could pull that off.........

DisneyMom12
10-04-2011, 11:22 PM
these are all wonderful suggestions! I like the Disney or bust thing and the balloons on the antenna.

DH wants to not say anything until we hit the airport! I don't know if I can manage that - plus it will kind of defeat that actual "moment" of surprise as they will figure it out I'm sure and I won't really get to see their faces!

I was also thinking of having one of my DH friends that is a cop pull us over on the way from the school to the parkway and really totally freak the kids out!!! Instead of him actually giving us a "ticket" It could be a "ticket" to DisneyWorld!!! hmmmm wonder if I could pull that off.........

That's a good one!!!

Cjsmom1811
10-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Hi,
Go to You tube.com and type in Walt Disney world surprises. There are a couple hundred videos. You might get an idea or 2.
Have a magical trip.:mickey: