PDA

View Full Version : Am I getting old and cranky or.....

spinnerf
09-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Are the cast members in the parks not happy with their jobs? It used to be that every few years I would run into a nasty CM. This trip I encounter at least one a day. And it's not just rudeness, it's indifference, and general lack of motivation to help. And it's not that there aren't may wonderful CMs, it just that one bad apple.....

DizneyRox
09-29-2011, 09:36 PM
It's not you..

eire
09-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Some are absolutely incredible- everything a Disney employee should be. Others are so apathetic that I really don't know what they are doing there!

WDWdriver
09-29-2011, 10:11 PM
There are about 60,000 CMs currently working at WDW. The population of the greater Orlando area is about 2.1 million people. This means that one out of 35 persons in the area is employed by Disney. I would challenge you to interview the next 35 people you see and find even one who would be a good fit for a Disney role. It is a huge problem.

Katzateer
09-29-2011, 10:51 PM
There are about 60,000 CMs currently working at WDW. The population of the greater Orlando area is about 2.1 million people. This means that one out of 35 persons in the area is employed by Disney. I would challenge you to interview the next 35 people you see and find even one who would be a good fit for a Disney role. It is a huge problem.

Pick me, pick me!!!

texas211
09-29-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm sure Disney is like any other company these days taking advantage of the economy. I'm sure they are treating their employees worse and worse, so its probably pretty hard to keep a positive attitude. I'm sure there is a lot more/less to their working conditions that we know of (no raises, bad hours, unfair requests, political stuff, who knows).

Main Street Jim
09-30-2011, 12:56 AM
*Sigh*...been that way for years.

I worked for the company for nine and a half years. When I left last January, my hourly pay was *still* less than ten bucks an hour.

Why did I stay so long? Because I *loved* what I did there. I grew up with the place. I knew - and *know* - what it should be like. It hasn't been what it should be since Eisner started making cutbacks way back in the early to mid 1980s.

Now, from what I understand on the latest hourly CM contract, the pay went up three percent - but health insurance costs have gone up five percent, which means they're taking home less than what they were before (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

My wife, who is *currently* seasonal, got a letter stating the policy changed on the requirements for remaining seasonal. 250 hours per year. Even working six-hour days, that's over 40 days a year required to work - just seasonally! We can't take that much time off from work up here in Ohio. Seems like Disney is running off CM's with the low(er) pay and ridiculous hours.

A LOT of CM's in the parks are College Program kids: they're there for three months at a time, housing's paid for by Disney...after work, they go out and party. A lot of 'em don't care about the *job* - but it looks good on a resume' that they "worked" for Disney (for three whole months). Sure, you have your exceptions (I have a few personal acquaintances that have decided to stay and *work*, not "party").

When I was a trainer at the park, I *tried* to instill that bit of Disney "wisdom" in my trainees. Some of 'em *got it*. A lot of 'em...didn't :(

honeebee86
09-30-2011, 01:26 AM
I do agree with the lack of magical CM's. However I just wanted to say that college programmers do have to pay a weekly rent which is taken out of their check. It is about $100 a week.

Mousemates
09-30-2011, 05:01 AM
Am I getting old and cranky or.....

Only if you find yourself mildly shaking your fist at them and calling them "whippersnappers"

MissMaryPoppins
09-30-2011, 08:17 AM
A LOT of CM's in the parks are College Program kids: they're there for three months at a time, housing's paid for by Disney...after work, they go out and party. A lot of 'em don't care about the *job* - but it looks good on a resume' that they "worked" for Disney (for three whole months). Sure, you have your exceptions (I have a few personal acquaintances that have decided to stay and *work*, not "party").:(

My father works in one of the parks with many college kids and my sister in law met my brother while she was on the college program. Disney does not pay for their housing. A certain amount is taken out of their pay every week for housing and I think they also have to pay to be in the program in the first plac. I've also heard stories about how the security in their housing complexes isn't anywhere near where it should be. If Disney is going to take that much of the student's money and expect them to be productive during their time there, at least provide them with good security. No one is going to want to pay to work and live someplace unsafe.

big blue and hairy
09-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Am I getting old and cranky or are the cast members in the parks not happy with their jobs?
Why can't it be both? :D

:sulley:

c&d
09-30-2011, 09:13 AM
I also wonder if our expectations are so much higher when we go to WDW. I know when we go I expect to have great service because it always has been and that on the few occasions where we have had no so happy CM's they have really stood out. In any other place would that behavior be as noticeable? I'm not sure it would be.

waymickey
09-30-2011, 09:47 AM
My father works in one of the parks with many college kids and my sister in law met my brother while she was on the college program. Disney does not pay for their housing. A certain amount is taken out of their pay every week for housing and I think they also have to pay to be in the program in the first plac. I've also heard stories about how the security in their housing complexes isn't anywhere near where it should be. If Disney is going to take that much of the student's money and expect them to be productive during their time there, at least provide them with good security. No one is going to want to pay to work and live someplace unsafe.

Not true There are many unpaid internships out there and college kids do the work. College kids need the experience and many of them get credits from their college for working at Disney in the program. win -win credits experience and some ( even if it is little money) My daughters best friend just got back from the college program and security was not an issue. No worse, maybe better then a college campus. They do not pay to be in the program either. Is it a job and are they expected to work and follow rules that are strict YES but that they know that going in.

With that said, I feel Disney has a waterfall of pixie dust going down a black hole somewhere. It is lacking in the parks at the resorts and resturants.

JROriole8Fan
09-30-2011, 10:14 AM
First I think everyones expectations are nearly impossible to meet at Disney. Second, we tend to forget details from the past, and always think it was better in the old days (a clear sign you are aging). Third, when you have so many people, it is impossible to hit on every person. I think if every business, and Disney is a business (even under Walt), was viewed with the same standards as Disney, you would realize how amazing the CM/Guest relationship is and the wonderful service you receive on a regular basis.

Darbylew
09-30-2011, 10:22 AM
We have never had any trouble or any cast member being rude to us. I guess I just make the first move in any conversation with them and joke with them along with telling them what a great job they do. I think if you go out of your way to make friends with them that it makes them happy to help in anyway that they can.
I love meeting them and just talking with them along my way around the parks. I am a people
person and engage in talking with most everyone that I come in contact with. It is still the happiest place on earth!!!! :mickey:

JWB3
09-30-2011, 12:13 PM
First I think everyones expectations are nearly impossible to meet at Disney. Second, we tend to forget details from the past, and always think it was better in the old days (a clear sign you are aging). Third, when you have so many people, it is impossible to hit on every person. I think if every business, and Disney is a business (even under Walt), was viewed with the same standards as Disney, you would realize how amazing the CM/Guest relationship is and the wonderful service you receive on a regular basis.

I couldn't agree more. I think many people (not us, of course!) feel a sense of entitlement. Having spent so much time planning and money making those plans happen, some folks feel they should be treated like royalty throughout their stay. In all likelihood, cast members earn lower salaries than their guests, working at a vacation destination they may not be able to afford for their own families. So once in a while you may run into a cast member who may not exactly be feeling the magic at that point in time, but I know that when I'm at work, I'm not always grinning either. 'Nuff said. TGIF - time for a :beer:

DizneyRox
09-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Actually, it's not a sense of entitlement... It's the Disney Way!

Disney employees used to be taught (expected) to not complain in front of guests, not be rude to guests, and to get answers for guests.

In recent trips (I have to stop saying recent since it's been a few years), I've seen people have to interrupt CMs complaining to each other to ask for assistance. I've seen CM's texting others in plain sight of guests. I've been left with "I don't know" for an answer to some questions, and I'm talking questions like where is this, not why is there air. I've seen CMs roll their eyes, sigh, use condescending language, etc directly at guests.

That really is unacceptable...

Polynesian Dweller
09-30-2011, 01:26 PM

I think a lot of people forget the size of Disney and that the CMs are people too with all of our real world problems. Should an employee leave their problems at the door? Sure, but does that happen at any business? No!

We all know bad apples in our work places and there won't be a work place without one. Same at Disney. The big difference is that when customers meet one at Disney they often write about here. When they meet a bad apple at their local XYZ company they don't report it in such a large forum.

DVC2004
09-30-2011, 01:53 PM
The low pay doesn't help...add into the mix the people who are taking jobs they wouldn't normally take but now have been unemployed or otherwise...maybe don't really care or don't want to be there, not into it etc. Sad, but you see it more and more. Unfortunately, expectations when visting DIsney are much higher than when you say go to Walmart.

WDWdreamer87
09-30-2011, 02:42 PM
I've also heard stories about how the security in their housing complexes isn't anywhere near where it should be. If Disney is going to take that much of the student's money and expect them to be productive during their time there, at least provide them with good security. No one is going to want to pay to work and live someplace unsafe.

Security is actually VERY good with the CP Housing. I was a CP up until this January and it was incredible (and sometimes annoying) how secure the complexes are. Most of the "security problems" are just stupid decisions made by the CPs themselves. (inviting unknown neighbors over to their rooms, roommate issues, underage drinking, etc)

WDWdreamer87
09-30-2011, 02:50 PM
We are continued being trained "the Disney Way" and it is ALWAYS expected once we start working. However, when you see the texting CM, the cranky yelling parade control CM, or the bored CM, it's lack of managing from their leaders. CM's have marital issues, deaths in the family, preteens, newborns, annoying pets, fires, car accidents, speeding tickets, and bills to pay just as much as guests. So yeah, it'd be normal to have an "off day." But at Disney, we're not being paid to complain while taking your Fastpass or yelling at you to move all the way down in Philharmagic. We're being paid to be the Magic. That's what breaks are for. Now, getting those breaks on time (or at all...) calls for a new thread topic... :D

When I'm a guest in the parks I too notice the CMs not being Disney enough and it makes me just as aggravated and disappointed. Should you point it out to Guest Relations? If it hindered your experience enough, sure. But if the kid is just staring off into space and not noticing your crying child wanting an ice cream, give him/her a break. There are 59,999 other cast members you may meet that just might make up for the rude one.

Ian
09-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Bottom line is that the sheer size and scope of today's WDW requires a staff that is simply too large to ensure you'll be able to A. find enough good people to fill all your roles and B. pay enough to draw real, quality employees to work for them.

The reality is, when you have 60,000+ people working on property you just can't pay them all $15 an hour. It's not economically viable. It would force them to raise prices so high that guests would stop coming.

I think they try and put the less-than-magical ones behind the scenes as much as they can but nobody's perfect.

spinnerf
09-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Today's non-magical moment. Waiting to pay in sir Mickey, the cashier was on a personal phone call and gave me the one minute finger. Not a big deal, it didn't ruin my day, but it used to not happen. I have no sense of enitlement, I have great memories as a child that I am trying to pass to my childnren, and it's working, but like I said, maybe it's me and I'm just cranky, it. Can be both, lol

Aurora
09-30-2011, 06:03 PM

I think there are plenty, PLENTY of great CMs who still work at Disney, and every time we go, I'm surprised at how many still go out of their way to bring the magic. I think the MAJORITY try to do a good job. And yes, I agree with the others that it is nearly impossible to staff that number of people with excellent Disney hires.

But I have to tell you, it was better in the "old days," and those of us who visited between opening and around the mid-90s remember those days very well.

You would NEVER see CMs ignoring a guest right in front of them while chatting with each other. Ever. It just wasn't done. CMs never yelled at guests. Ever. Directions were given with a smile. I remember the absolute FIRST time I ever saw a costumed character (Fairy Godmother) interacting with a CM out of character. I was shocked. Because I had NEVER seen a character do that before. This was 10 years ago.

If guests have certain "expectations" or feel "entitled," it's not because of the money they've spent; it's because the Disney Company itself raised those expectations. That's why bad behavior by CMs is so noticed and so remarkable.

Main Street Jim
09-30-2011, 10:27 PM
it was better in the "old days," and those of us who visited between opening and around the mid-90s remember those days very well.Something I learned a LONG time ago - way before I even thought about working for the Mouse:

Walt Disney World gets over 3,000 applications a month. They used to hire ONE out of that 3,000 - ONE that stood out, that showed "the Disney way" (to do things). That was up until the Eisner era.

Nowadays, and for many years now, they hire one out of every two hundred. And basically that's only if they can pass the background check and the drug test.

I certainly didn't stay there as long as I did for the money. I stayed because I *loved* the place. Granted, now, I can tell you I saw things run "not the Disney way". Used to be, your cell phone wasn't even supposed to be on your person. Once you got to work, it went in your locker. I *NEVER* carried a cell phone with me while on-stage. Then they started allowing CM's to use them "to check the time"; the manager-types had Blackberries that they could use any time, and the hourly CMs complained: "They get to have one out on stage, why can't we?" Now that policy is abused :/

Like others have stated, if you see something that you're not happy with, if your experience with some of the CM's has been "less than magical", don't hesitate to either stop by Guest Relations *that day* and say something, or when you get home, send an e-mail.

It goes the other way as well. You get those CM's that treat you the way you expect from Disney, same thing. Stop by Guest Relations or send an e-mail praising said CM. I can't tell you how good it feels to have a "great guest service letter" read *about* you at a morning meeting :)

:thumbsup:

SpecJoe Magic
10-01-2011, 01:30 AM
Something else to keep in mind is that we, as guests, sometimes feel bad, and we aren't always on our best behavior. That can negatively impact our perception of Cast Members and can also cause them to react to us negatively.

In all of my numerous trips to WDW, I've only encountered a handful of awful CM experiences. I do my best to relax, have fun, and not let little vacation problems get the best of me. I think that's partly why my perception of most CMs is positive.

Objectively speaking, I think that most CMs are adequate, a few are top-notch, and a few are bad.

coneheads
10-01-2011, 08:20 AM
I am not surprised at all at the occasional "less than Disney" moments the cast members have given the lack of pay, lack of hours and genereal lack of respect from management. My first trip was the pre-opening party in '71 and have been so many times over the last 40 years I can't even begin to count them and I just can't think of a single bad experience with a cast member that made my trip less enjoyable, things have gone wrong from time to time but the cast members have always handled them professionaly and courteously.

What does surprise me is the consistently excellent service Disney employees have provided my family and I over the years for so little in return. The biggest change in behavior I have seen is in the guests, rude and demanding seems to be the new "norm". It's probably due to Disney's success there are no slow seasons anymore. Events like the Flower and Garden show and the Food and Wine Festival have filled the parks with guests all year long.

Not trying to excuse bad behavior, working for Disney is not for everyone and their turnover rates reflect that. Working at Disney used to be a source of pride now it seems to be more a reason for sympathy. The pay was much better comparatively when admission was $4 so I'm not sure Disney can't pay more, they just don't have to.

wish I was there today, Andy

texas211
10-01-2011, 11:35 AM
We have never had any trouble or any cast member being rude to us. I guess I just make the first move in any conversation with them and joke with them along with telling them what a great job they do. I think if you go out of your way to make friends with them that it makes them happy to help in anyway that they can.
I love meeting them and just talking with them along my way around the parks. I am a people
person and engage in talking with most everyone that I come in contact with. It is still the happiest place on earth!!!! :mickey:

I also don't know that its a Disney thing, but generally how people are these days. People are ruder, more self centered, etc.

garymacd
10-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Pick me, pick me!!!

I'll drive the boats!

EeyoresBestFriend
10-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Pick me, pick me!!!

Me,too ~ me, too!!!!! :cloud9:

johnO
10-04-2011, 07:10 AM
I couldn't agree more. I think many people (not us, of course!) feel a sense of entitlement. Having spent so much time planning and money making those plans happen, some folks feel they should be treated like royalty throughout their stay. In all likelihood, cast members earn lower salaries than their guests, working at a vacation destination they may not be able to afford for their own families. So once in a while you may run into a cast member who may not exactly be feeling the magic at that point in time, but I know that when I'm at work, I'm not always grinning either. 'Nuff said. TGIF - time for a :beer:

Entitlement? No sir, its business reality. If you charge a premium price, you're expected to provide a premiuim service. With rising prices, one naturally expects the service level to increase. But thats not what people are noticing. Prices are increasing and the service quality is decreasing. People are paying more and receiving less. This is happening everywhere though. Its a sign of the times...a general decline in the behavior of people.

Having said this, WDW is STILL a great place to visit.

ValenciaCalling
10-04-2011, 09:45 AM
I also don't know that its a Disney thing, but generally how people are these days. People are ruder, more self centered, etc.

This is so true. Please treat the Cast Members the way you would like to be treated. It's a much more magical experience for both the guests and the Cast Members if you do.

ValenciaCalling
10-04-2011, 10:04 AM
We are continued being trained "the Disney Way" and it is ALWAYS expected once we start working. However, when you see the texting CM, the cranky yelling parade control CM, or the bored CM, it's lack of managing from their leaders.

Now, getting those breaks on time (or at all...) calls for a new thread topic... :D

It's just like any other business. If the leaders either rule with an iron fist, or they couldn't care less about you (and I experienced both there), it makes it very difficult to spread positive energy on stage when you are being bombarded with negative energy backstage. :(

IloveDisney71
10-04-2011, 11:13 AM
We are driving home from a four day trip and during our entire stay we kept noticing how happy all of the CM's seemed to be & that the the entire atmosphere in the parks seemed to be more positive. We only noticed a couple of CM's that were not "Disney like" but they weren't too bad.

WDWCrazyKaren
10-06-2011, 08:19 AM
So many others here have already said this, but I think the average person is just much more rude in these days. I am getting old. I acknowledge that. But how I long for the days when people used to think before they spoke, wondering if the words they use or actions they take could hurt or anger someone. Now, everyone does seem entitled to their opinion only, regardless of who (or whom) they may hurt. This applies to guests (general rudeness abounds) and CM's, who I think, are still the best around. There are not many businesses that I frequent anymore that greet you with a smile, a kind word, or even helpfulness. Another poster used the word "apathetic". That is the feeling that I get from the world (not Disney World, I mean the "actual" world) in general. No one cares anymore. There is no more personal satisfaction in a job well done. Everyone is just marking time and collecting a small paycheck.

I go back to DW every year because of the fantastic customer service. If Disney treated me the same way every other business treated me, I would not be a repeat customer.

In other words, sure, someone may be having a bad day and one CM may not be as fantastic as the last 73 you spoke to, but I will still take Disney service (with more smiles than anywhere else) over 99.9% of other customer service!

Sorry about the rambling post. I just realized it. :blush:

Main Street Jim
10-06-2011, 06:34 PM
It's not rambling at all :)

As I said before, *when* you experience great guest service, get the CM's name, the situation, and write a "compliment card" at Guest Relations at that park or resort *while you're there*.

Goes the other way, too - when you do get that "bad service", same thing - get the CM's name, the situation, and let Guest Relations know.

When I worked at the park, I tried my *very best* to be the best CM I could be. Unfortunately, a lot of other CMs around me were either 1) better than I was :), or 2) "bad" as far as the guest service goes - which kind of made me feel "mediocre". Provided my "service" with a smile - always - even when I worked the parade route and had to move guests from places where they weren't supposed to (in walkways, on light poles, out in the street, etc.). Answered guest questions as best I could - and if I didn't know, I found out and got back to the guest as soon as possible. "No sir, this train does not go to MGM Studios. No sir, it doesn't go to Universal Studios, either. To get to MGM, take the monorail or the ferry boat across Seven Seas Lagoon to the Transportation and Ticket Center, and then you can catch a bus from there down to MGM Studios." :thumbsup:

WDWCrazyKaren
10-07-2011, 07:57 AM
[QUOTE=Main Street Jim;2214502]It's not rambling at all :)

I think that is the first time in my life that someone didn't think I was rambling! :thumbsup:

Thanks!

ryca1dreams
10-07-2011, 09:40 AM
This is so true. Please treat the Cast Members the way you would like to be treated. It's a much more magical experience for both the guests and the Cast Members if you do.

Exactly. I once bought something from a stand and noticed on the CM's nametag that she was from China. She looked pretty bored and 'blah'. So I said, "Thank you" in Chinese and she smiled and took on a different attitude. I think kindness works both ways.

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-07-2011, 10:08 AM
I'll drive the boats!

I'll do wedding planning!

I think that I have just as much power over "the magic" as any CM or guest. I always try to help others around me whether I get paid or not. Just ask anyone waiting in any grocery line with me :D - I hand out coupons! heehee... We hand out glow necklaces and bracelets to the people and kids around us during fireworks, we hand over FPs that we won't use to people coming in as we are leaving. We give our seats up to those that look like they need it more on buses. We have handed out wet wipes to people who have had a fight with a Mickey bar on a hot day. We have let people in front of us in line who have complained about the line being too long, or it's too hot, or feet hurt or something.... Sometimes kindness of others make you rethink your complaining.... Especially when a 5 or 3 year old lets you have the pink Dumbo because you look like you need it to be happy. Or a 7 month pregnant woman gives up their seat because you are complaing about how full the bus is and how long you waited to get on.

I really believe that my happiness and my treatment (or perception of treatment) is a direct reflection of my treatment of others and willingness to make others happy. We try to exemplify a "servant" attitude and keep in the front of our minds that we have the power to be a "heaven-sent" for someone rather than that "hellion" who gave somoene a bad taste in their mouth.

I try to teach my children that they are living angels on earth. And that NO one has power over their happiness. It is in bringing happiness to others that will make us happy.

:getting off my soapbox: I try not to talk on forums like this or to others about a bad cast member or mean person because it's like poison to me. I would MUCH rather highlight the good. After all, some people around me think I work for Disney because of how much I talk about it or just looking around my cube at my Disney flare. I would hate to taint someone's impression of my happy place because I talked badly about it. You just never know what type of impression you leave. I'd rather people talk about me being too nice than being "that" person.

Main Street Jim - I probably wouldn't stop at GS at the end of the day to write a good job note about someone. So, I decided to pick up a good job form (or make one myself) and have them with me throughout my vacation (next week!) so I can write them as they happen. I'd LOVE to tell "my" CM's (after all they are in a round about kind of way "working" for me!) what a great job they're doing and to recognize them for it. This good job form has made its way on my permenant "things to do and pack" list. I think I'll make my own...

Can you tell I was in HR management? :D

ransam
10-07-2011, 01:53 PM
i've been pretty lucky. we've gone almost every year since 1999 and before that as a kid went every year from 1977-1988. for the most part it's been fantastic. There have been one or two bad times, but the good ones have been so far and above the bad ones it's not even funny.

buddie
10-07-2011, 02:33 PM
You get those CM's that treat you the way you expect from Disney, same thing. Stop by Guest Relations or send an e-mail praising said CM.
How does Disney reward the CMs that get nice letters?

TheHD
10-07-2011, 04:17 PM
We have handed out wet wipes to people who have had a fight with a Mickey bar on a hot day.

That's hilarious! Great post!

phillydan
10-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Low pay aside, there is just some people that can work with the public and some that can not. On my last trip, the number of excellent CM's definitely outweighed the not-so-excellent ones, but the infractions made a lasting impression.

While watching the Electric Parade, a family was split on both sides of the parade route and the Dad called the kids over to his side when there was a small gap in the parade. CM's from every direction sprung into action to pull the kids back and to keep the others from bolting. Following the incident a CM walked back to his post by me and stated directly to me "I HATE MY JOB!". I just thought: "Then why are you here?" Yes, any job can be stressful, but vent to a coworker, not to a guest. I will always remember that incident.

dmosher
10-10-2011, 08:46 PM
. I think kindness works both ways.

Exactly. Try doing the same thing all day every day for people who don't pay any attention to what you are.. oh wait.. most of us do that at work everyday. Ever have someone strike up a conversation about "you" and not what you do? Or somethign as simple as a friendly and sincerey thank you makes a huge difference in someone's day.

D

spinnerf
10-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Since I started the thread, thought I would comment now that my most recent Disney trip is complete. I did meet many wonderful cast members, and a few rotten. Im sure back in the 70s when I was a kid the rotten ones were there too and I was just so caught up in the magic of being at Disney that I didnt notice. Now that I want a perfect experience for my own children I notice the occsional crank pot. But in the end I could tell you many more positive stories than negative. As for low pay, if you take a job you are made aware of the salary prior to taking the job, you agreed to it, so perform as you said you would! Complaining is fine, its just not ok when you are in the hospitality industry at any capacity, to complain to guests, or to let your misery be felt by them. Thankyou to the wondeful CMs I met, and I did fill out a Good Job at guest services, and no I did not fill out any Bad Jobs!, if it exists.

10-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Following the incident a CM walked back to his post by me and stated directly to me "I HATE MY JOB!".

I think that you might be reading more into the comment than what was meant.

As someone who works parades, we "hate" having to see split up families not be able to get back together and we "hate" to endure the inevitable wrath from the guests (you should hear what comes out of the mouths of some of the people) when they can't cross the parade route during the parade, but, that is our job to keep all guests as safe as possible.

Safety of the guests and CM's is stressed at every parade meeting. It might surprise some of you to know, for the first night parade there may be as many as 95 or more CM's doing Parade Audience Control from Town Square to Splash. When was the last time that you could get 95 + people together and have everyone of them to be at their best.

I can tell you from my own personal experience of doing this for almost 3 years now, as a whole, guests are becoming much more demanding and in some cases just downright obnoxious to anyone and everyone around them. Couple that with a different work ethic (culture) among the younger and middle age set and life is just a bit of a different dynamic than what some of us older folks are used to.

I will say, 3 times a year we have a "new" group of College and International Program CM's come onboard and each group is "different", with some being great, some good and a small percentage just not with the program, although most of those do get purged along the way. These people are there for 3 or 4 months or so and the average guest is only there for 2 or 3 days, so it is easy for a few "bad" incidents to magnify a persons perception of what things are like.

Sorry for the long (rant) post. I love my "job" at WDW, the people I work with, including working with the CP's & IP's and feel that 95% of them are really top notch CM's which is more that I can say about the co-workers that I had for the 40+ years I toiled at a "real" job.

Just to add, I've met SO MANY great and friendly guests working both turnstiles and parades at WDW. Believe me when I say, they FAR outnumber those folks who just can't seem to find it in themselves to leave their hostility at home.

buddie
10-11-2011, 01:26 PM
OP, you do sound cranky and you admitted to being old.
There is your answer.

dmosher
10-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Believe me when I say, they FAR outnumber those folks who just can't seem to find it in themselves to leave their hostility at home.
... and CM's like you make going to WDW and DL a wonderful experience. Thank you for providing the amazing and cheerful service that you do!

D

Disney Hungarian
10-11-2011, 11:13 PM
I have given this some thought. On my recent trip 2 weeks ago; the only CM's I encountered that didn't seem to like their jobs were at Guest Relations. In the resort and parks all seemed very happy and helpful, for the most part. What I did notice was the number of obnoxious guests in ratio to previous visits had seemed to go up. One of the reasons I do like staying at the value resorts is that a friendly chat usually starts with "so, where are you from?" As opposed to the deluxe resorts were it is typically started with, "so, what do you do?" I tend to pay attention to those mannerisms. I see it in the parks too. Some people (thankfully not the majority) have a sense of entitlement syndrome. I have wondered how CM's are able to deal with those people on a daily basis and still smile and deliver the "magic." My hat goes off to them. I do try to commend the great CM's by reporting them to Guest Relations. I would never report the odd CM having a bad day. I feel I would snap within a week. Hats off to them all.

Main Street Jim
10-12-2011, 05:13 AM
How does Disney reward the CMs that get nice letters?
They usually get recognized by their leaders, the letter sometimes get read at the morning meetings, and they get a Cast-exclusive "Great Guest Service" pin (or at least, they used to; not sure if they still do) :thumbsup:

I would never report the odd CM having a bad day.If you don't, then the problems will get worse, or never corrected ;)

I gotta agree with 11290. You can't get *every* CM to all smile during "work hours" at the same time. But, your *one* smile or *better* demeanor (as a CM) will make someone's trip just *that* much more magical ;)

buddie
10-12-2011, 07:37 AM
They usually get recognized by their leaders, the letter sometimes get read at the morning meetings, and they get a Cast-exclusive "Great Guest Service" pin (or at least, they used to;
Can't speak to what goes on property wide, but I think the stuff you mentioned might be a thing of the past. Other than the service awards that everyone is eligible for, I've only seen CMs get an atta boy or girl for a job well done. I think a heart felt "thank you" directly from a guest works best.

Wolf
10-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Argh I want to vent about this weekend, we got on the bus after this crazy downpour on Saturday *it rained from Friday night till Sunday around noon* we were leaving AK to go back to Poly, so onto the bus we got, and this ...un-awesome woman got on there and was just like soon as she stepped onto the bus asked the driver to turn the heat on the bus, he kindly told her he couldn't because the windows would fog up. She then procedes to try to drag me and Mom into her nonsense (We were the only other people on the bus and sitting at the front to be out of the way if other people got on) so we ignore her and then she goes to the back area of the bus and rants, loudly, to her family about how "stupid" it is the driver won't turn the heat on, that shes cold...Well Duh..we have all been rained on, of course its cold. But it was much warmer on the bus than it was outside where I wish the driver would have left this troll...We always thank the drivers, monorail staffers, janitors, anyone who is awesome really we are just thankful to be there so we tend to thank everyone who makes our trip even a fraction better. So this ungrateful woman just ruffled my feathers, thankfully she got off at the first stop (Contemporary) and we didn't have to deal with her the whole way home but she never stopped ranting the whole way home...Not cool!!! The driver was a saint for not losing it, I couldn't have held it together like he did..After she got off I thanked him for picking us up and keeping the heat off so we wouldn't all die in a firey bus crash...I just don't get people being so awful but this bus driver was totally awesome, I wish I knew his name to send in a compliment to disney.