PDA

View Full Version : Food and Wine Festival ?

elmjimmlm
09-29-2011, 11:51 AM
I have never been during this time and I was wondering how it works...
Is there a certain price for it and how does it all work?
We are thinking of going in October next year and we could attend it and the Halloween party...
I'm getting excited just thinking about it!!!:mickey:

DNS
09-29-2011, 12:03 PM
It is at Epcot World Showcase. There are various kiosks set up around the lagoon. Each a different country with a few samplings of food and drink. The samplings, some are pretty big, cost I think between $4 and $7. No charge to get into that part other than your park ticket. There are several programs you can sign up for in addition, but I believe they all cost. If you are willing to try new things, it is great fun!

mdricks
09-29-2011, 12:22 PM
As mentioned above it is not a "hard ticket" item. A variety of booths are set up throughout the World Showcase with tapas style plates focused on national cuisines. They will also have beverages, mostly alcoholic, that reflect regional producers. Additionally, there is a concert series with a variety of bands that play for free in the American Pavilion. It is a new band each week (more or less) the majority of which are VH1 Where Are They Now types (don’t get me wrong, the music is awesome). There is a great party atmosphere and the crowds are usually very laid back and out for a good time. It is a very different vibe from the usual “daddy are we REALLY in Germany?” and I would not take kids after 5 pm.

Go to the Disney website, look under parks, EPCOT, special events, and you will find a page dedicated to all things F&W.

I try and go every year. It is an "adult friendly" activity and can get rather crowded on the weekends. If you enjoy food and trying new things it is an absolute blast.

Typically the other parks are not as crowded during this time so you can sneak away to walk-ons for many of your favorites in DHS, AK or MK.

:number1:

goofyfan4466
09-29-2011, 01:01 PM
my wife & i have never been to f&w festival. we have a couple of questions.
1 - can you get beer or soda instead of wine ?
2 - does the f&w festival run along with the halloween parties ?
3 - are all different countries represented at the f&w festival or only the world showcase countries ?
4 - is it worth the price to do this event ? even if we do not drink wine ?

thanks in advance

PopPhan
09-29-2011, 01:58 PM
3 - are all different countries represented at the f&w festival or only the world showcase countries ?

thanks in advance

1) Food and Wine festival is a name only, you can get whatever is being served at the individual kiosks - sometimes wine, sometimes beer, always some non-alcoholic drinks.

2) F&WF is an every day event in the World Showcase (during the tenure of the event) It has no correlation to the Halloween parties (MNSSHP) in MK

3) There are a number of different countries, not represented by pavilions in World Showcase, that have sponsored kiosks throughout the World Showcase for this event

4) Since there is no entry fee for F&WF (not a 'hard-ticketed' event,) you only pay for the samples that you purchase from the individual kiosks. Value is based upon what you purchase from the kiosks and whether you consider the portion size and quality to be of good value to you

4a) You are not forced to drink or eat anything that you do not like - you only pay for/get what appeals to you at any of the kiosks

SBETigg
09-29-2011, 01:58 PM

thanks in advance

It is called the Food and Wine Fest, but it's really Food and Beverages. Alcoholic and non-alcoholic. There's a whole booth devoted to beer, and some different beer/ale offered at different countries. There are also some mixed drinks, like a cosmo slushie or mai tai. And some without alcohol.

It does run when Halloween parties are going on, but not affiliated. It's usually from the very end of September through mid November at World Showcase.

There are about 30 booths, with many countries represented (Greece, Brazil, Australia, South Korea... many more).

It's worth any price you put on it. You buy samples individually. There's no one big admission price. It's standard park admission, with kiosks around WS representing different countries/States/or Food/Beverage types. So if you just want a beer, you can just go and buy a beer as long as you have paid park admission. If you want to try some food samples and not try others, you can. You pay as you go along, just for what you want to try.

mdricks
09-29-2011, 02:10 PM

thanks in advance

I would only ad that there are some events that you can attend, wine tastings, special dinners, meetings with celebrity chefs etc.. that do cost extra. you are not required to attend any of those and it is not neccesary in order to have fun at F&W. Grab a plate of mussels in cream sause and a Leffe beer and listen to the band! :beer:
:number1:

WDWForever
09-29-2011, 02:36 PM
All good points givens so far. I would add that if done like before you can get a special card you add money to make it easy to pay for food/beverages.

Kaps
09-29-2011, 04:14 PM
No extra to get in but have your wallet out the whole walk around world showcase. They have samplings at most all the countries but the portions are rather small and the cost is around $4 or more. Just another way to rake it in during this ecomomy

5MemphisTiggers
10-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Good info in all the posts. My wife and I have really enjoyed F&W. The kiosks with tappas from the various countries are GREAT. (We loved the beef skewer with chimichuri from Argentina).

If you're a foodie, don't miss some of the cooking demonstrations and pairings. Chefs showcasing a dish of theirs, along with an appropriate wine paring, and a sample of the dish to boot. These cost extra, but their worth it.

Also, if you are on the dining plan, I believe you can use your snack credits at the kiosks to pay for the tappas. A great way to use up your snacks.

Make plans to attend. It's a blast!

Jared
10-02-2011, 10:13 PM
The Food and Wine Festival is an absolute blast, and it's a fantastic reason to plan a Disney trip in the fall. It's easy to spend an entire afternoon meandering around World Showcase, stopping every so often to sample one of the booths along the way.

With this much delicious food, who needs rides?

lynnek
10-03-2011, 06:04 AM
As previous post indicates, you can use snack credits from the dining plan. We are returning to F&W this yr, but learning from last yr, going on a Friday day, not a Sat afternoon. We have a child in a stroller which was a bit difficult when it was soo busy. The older two kids (11 and 13) loved sampling food everywhere and this was a request for this yr too. DS13 can eat like crazy and thinks Anthony Bourdain rocks, so the variety from different countries works well.

Grumpy.
10-03-2011, 05:56 PM
I gotta add like previous posters, use your snack credits there!!! You won't get a better bang for your "snack credit" buck than here. We had 6 lobster claws last Friday, actual cost would have been over 40 bucks! As snack credits are usually only for items $4 or less that's a huge savings. The six of us used over 30 snack credits that day and loved every minute of it.

Main Street Jim
10-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Either that, or get the "credit card" (cash card) to use :thumbsup: Wife and I'd put 30-40 bucks on the card, and taste/drink around the world :)

The escargot at France...*outstanding*.

elmjimmlm
10-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Im glad you can use snack credits...We usually save most of these and use them the last day so this might be better than some rice crispie Mickeys...:mickey: