PDA

View Full Version : Gac

special ed teacher
09-28-2011, 10:10 PM
I have been to Disney many times with my child who has sensory intergration disorder and ADHD. I have planned well and used fast pass. I made another reservation for spring break. His Dr. is taking off his medication for side effect reasons, and I don't know if he can handle disney world now. I heard about the Gac, and I was wondering if it really can make the trip managable with a child who has these issues, or should I cancel until a time he can go back on medication. I know you don't know my child, but I can say medication made it possible without help, but now without medicine, lines and people hearing what he says and does in those lines could be very hard for him and for our family. Your opinions matter.

DisneyMom12
09-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Yes it does!!. My son has the same issues, but is not medicated due to his age. They also gave me a sticker for the stroller to be used as a wheel chair when needed, that helped a bit as well. It kept him secured til the last minuet. You don't mention your sons age, but the lines for characters can be very long, my son could not do it. We booked a lot of character meals for him to meet them, and also made it easier for him to stay at the table for the meal knowing someone was coming. Don't cancel get the GAC, and have a wonderful time. We of course still had some issues, but nothing so bad that would keep us from going back. I hope this helped.

BrerGnat
09-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I have a son with SI issues and lots of behavior problems. Our other son has Autism, so I know exactly what you are talking about. The GAC was a HUGE help to us when we took our first family trip to WDW. Although my kids can wait in lines (when they are highly motivated by the end result), WDW was a new place for them and caused lots of anxiety and acting out. Without the GAC, we would have done nothing! We also went during Spring Break.

I wouldn't recommend cancelling a trip. Make the plans, and see how things go. There is a lot of time between now and Spring Break next year. Perhaps you will find another medication that is better tolerated. In the meantime, explain to your son as best you can about the ability to use a GAC and how it will help him. Perhaps knowing in advance will save him some anxiety and acting out beforehand. Explain to him that you will be able to wait somewhere else for your turn to ride, and ask for this specifically when requesting the GAC. Our favorite ride using the GAC is Spaceship Earth, because the area to wait in is inside (where you exit the ride), there is a place to sit, and it's roped off. We rode SSE over and over again, mostly because my boys appreciated the "alternate waiting area" so much. It really does make things a lot easier.

I think you will be fine. The GAC exists to help people in your exact situation. Use it!

special ed teacher
10-01-2011, 12:16 PM
THank you both for your answers. It makes me feel better. It is so hard to do things with children who have difficulty in crowds and lines. It is very hard because other people don't understand someone who looks normal, but acts different.

DisneyMom12
10-01-2011, 12:22 PM
It is very hard because other people don't understand someone who looks normal, but acts different.

A truer statement could not have been written.

clausjo
10-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I agree with everyone else, go and use the GAC. My son has the exact same issues as yours does and, until we went to DL in June, we've just done the best we could with the lines. I can't tell you the difference the GAC made in our trip. We were all happy, he wasn't overwhelmed, and it was by far the best trip we've had yet.

We're going to the NSSHP next week with my parents and I plan on getting a GAC even though we'll just be there that night.

Good luck!

TexansInNY
10-17-2011, 04:11 PM
I agree - go with it..we had no issues with anyone and our son looks like any other..maybe lucky?? Never any issue. :thumbsup: