PDA

View Full Version : Magic Express - evening check in

disneyfan328
09-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Quick Question for anyone that has done this:

We have used ME several times and love the service, however this trip we will not be checking in until later in the evening on a Friday. Our flight is due in this time at 8:30 but I figure by the time we get through the airport, to the busses and get to the resort we are looking at probably 10 pm??

My question is since we want to get to bed at a decent hour to get up and start our day @ Disney refreshed would we be better off to wait at the airport and just retrieve our bags rather than waiting for DME to deliver them in the middle of the night? Or are they not normally busy at this hour of the evening so we would get our bags quickly? I love the convieience of not having to worry about our bags and love the DME service but I am just wondering if this time around we should just get our bags ourselves.:confused:

disneymom15
09-28-2011, 01:34 PM
If it were me, I'd pick up my luggage before heading over to DME.

Strmchsr
09-28-2011, 02:30 PM
If I remember correctly, DME does not deliver bags after 10 pm unless specifically asked. They hold them until the next day. I've known a couple of families that just pack a carry-on overnight bag that will do them until their bags are delivered the next day. Cuts down the wait time considerably as you can spend 30+ min waiting at baggage claim.

disneyfan328
09-28-2011, 02:42 PM
was thinking about doing the carry on thing and we normally do, however in thinking about curling irons, make up and all that type of stuff I don't think we can get it all in carry ons. I am guessing that it looks like we are going to have to pick up the luggage just to be safe.

I have seen lots of posts though from people saying that they got their bags at 2am? Its not like we are going to get to the parks or really do anything on our arrival day other than get to the hotel so waiting the 30 mins at the airport might just be the best.

BelleBeauty
09-28-2011, 03:41 PM
We have gotten in late the past few trips and had DME deliver our bags. By the time we got them in our room it was close to 1am. So they do deliver bags, but I would highly recommend picking them up yourselves! :mickey:

BrerGnat
09-28-2011, 05:36 PM
If I remember correctly, DME does not deliver bags after 10 pm unless specifically asked. They hold them until the next day.

No, this only applies if the FLIGHT lands after 10pm.

I'd just stop at baggage claim and get the bags. It's really not that long a detour. I would recommend maybe having a bite to eat in the airport, though, since by the time you get to the resort, all the food service options might be closed.

faline
09-28-2011, 07:04 PM
When I've arrived in the evening and want to know that I will have my bags, I don't use the Magical Express tags and pick up my own luggage. Keep in mind, if you use the Magical Expess tags and arrive before 10, your bags won't show up on the luggage carousel as they'll be pulled before they get to that point.

disneyfan328
09-28-2011, 10:22 PM
When I've arrived in the evening and want to know that I will have my bags, I don't use the Magical Express tags and pick up my own luggage. Keep in mind, if you use the Magical Expess tags and arrive before 10, your bags won't show up on the luggage carousel as they'll be pulled before they get to that point.

Exactly - thats why I am trying to figure out what to do before we get there. DH wants to eat that night in the food court - not sure if we are going to be able to make that happen:confused: but from what I can find the food court is open until 12 midnight?

faline
09-29-2011, 08:27 AM
but from what I can find the food court is open until 12 midnight?

That's my understanding.

disneyfan328
09-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks Faline! I still don't know for sure what we'll do about the luggage, but hubby will be happy that he gets to eat at the food court!

CleveRocks
09-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Here's what I've done and what I will do again in March, and I'll explain why.

I'd let DME take my bags. And then when I check-in at my resort, I'd ask the front desk and Bell Services to hold my bags until the morning when I call for them.

No matter where I fly, I ALWAYS pack our carry-ons with our full needs for the first 24 hours of the trip. I do this just in case the AIRLINE delays our bags (which has happened). This way, for my wife and our kids and me, we have PJs, allowable toiletries, kids' bedtime buddies, and a change of clothes for the morning. This doesn't take up very much room at all.

So because we have what we need for bed and for the next morning, it really doesn't matter to us when we get our bags.

We frequently take late flights, get to the resort WAAAAY past the kids' bedtime, go right to sleep, and then wake up in the morning refreshed and ready to start our vacation!

The last time I did it, I called for our bags at 6:30 a.m. and Bell Services was at our door with our bags 5 minutes later.

Especially with small kids, this was a Godsend ... cranky kids, late at night, and we didn't have to unnecessarily delay ourselves by waiting at baggage claim for our bags.

Scar
09-29-2011, 03:07 PM
No matter where I fly, I ALWAYS pack our carry-ons with our full needs for the first 24 hours of the trip. I do this just in case the AIRLINE delays our bags (which has happened).My rule is 2 days... just in case luggage goes on different plane.

disneyfan328
09-29-2011, 08:51 PM
I guess I am just going to have to pack the carry on's and see how much I can get in them. The biggest problem for our family is that both myself and my son have a lot of health issues so we have my whole carryon filled with our medication and our nebulizer machines, tubing etc. which leaves all of my stuff neededing to go into someone else's bag. DH takes the camera's and camcorders and then his carry on and the kids have theirs with their clothes and stuff for on the plane etc. I have to make sure that all of the meds and stuff go with us as we can't take any chance of being without it. That is why its kind of an issue. I am leaning more towards letting DME get the bags though as I think it would just be more convenient

Hmmmm how in appropriate would it be to just let the kids wear their pj's on the plane? :sleepin: lol It would just mean all I needed in the carry on's is clothes for the next day! hahahaha

WDWCrazyKaren
10-03-2011, 08:28 AM
I would put those kids in their PJ's, but still pick up the bags anyway. No one on the airplane will care if the kids are in their jammies, and not one person at the resort will give a darn if the kids are in the food court in them either. Go with what is comfy, grab your bags, then you have no problems with either! Have an AWESOME time!

BrerGnat
10-04-2011, 10:12 AM
I don't know what airline you are flying, but most allow a carryon bag PLUS a "personal item", which can be a backpack! If your meds and stuff take up a carryon size suitcase, just use a backpack for your clothes/toiletries! Have the kids pack pj's and a set of clothes for the next day in their carryon.