PDA

View Full Version : Magic Carpet Flips During Performance at California Adventure

Melanie
09-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Magic carpet flips during Disney show; no one hurt

ANAHEIM, California (AP) — The "Aladdin" music show at Disney's California Adventure park was briefly shut down after two performers were left hanging upside down on a magic carpet.

Disney spokeswoman Suzi Brown says the malfunction occurred during a performance Sunday afternoon. No one was hurt.

The park expected to reopen the show, "Aladdin — A Musical Spectacular," sometime Monday.

The musical is based on Disney's popular animated film, "Aladdin." In the movie, Aladdin, with the help of a genie and a flying carpet, woos a young princess.

During Sunday's performance, the carpet flipped over.

A video posted on YouTube shows the two performers, who were strapped in, swaying back and forth above the stage. An announcer apologized for the incident and asked people to leave the theater.

Melanie
09-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Gives new meaning to the lyrics 'over, sideways and under'. ;)

So glad everyone was okay. They have to take strict precaution in case of a mishap like this. :thumbsup:

SBETigg
09-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Gives new meaning to the lyrics 'over, sideways and under'. ;)

So glad everyone was okay. They have to take strict precaution in case of a mishap like this. :thumbsup:

Funny, Melanie. ;) I am glad everyone was okay, too. That must have been kind of scary for the performers.

WDWfanatic742
09-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Hang onto your hats and glasses, folks, 'cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!

Oh wait, wrong ride... :D

BrerGnat
09-27-2011, 09:04 AM
At least they were harnessed in. Can you imagine if they weren't? :eek:

Actually, I've seen this show a number of times, and I never noticed that they were wearing safety harnesses...BUT, the entire carpet is suspended from 4 wires, one on each corner...how did it flip over?

Disney4us2
09-27-2011, 09:44 AM
I saw it on the news last night. It looked scary from the video clip.

Melanie
09-27-2011, 09:49 AM
I saw it on the news last night. It looked scary from the video clip.

I tried to find the clip on YouTube, but was unsuccessful. :confused:

Mendelson
09-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Disney shows now produced by the people who brought you Broadway's "Spider Man!"

Melanie, just google "disneyland's magic carpet flips" It is literally anti-climactic...it just shows them swaying there, already flipped over.

Patricia
09-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Oops. The downside of live theater is that things can and sometimes do go wrong. Unfortunately, they can't take them down until they clear the theatre, which looks like it was going slowly as people were watching instead of moving out.

As far as being strapped in, that is a give in for any stage show. You can't be attached to a fly without a safety harness or the fly operator isn't going to get the clear to take you up.

MegaDisney
09-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Glad to hear everyone was OK. That video is scary, poor Jasmine!

Joannelet
09-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Wow! Glad they are okay! I remember when I saw the show I said to my DH...."Imagine how scary that would be if they werent strapped to it"
Good thing they were!

tundramom
09-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Truly an incredible show, scary time for the performers though!

TheDuckRocks
09-28-2011, 10:52 AM
I just saw the clip on youtube and as scarey as it was I had to laugh at the woman's voice that said "we need to help him". What a wonderful heart but I can't quess what she possibly thought she could do. I was surprised at how many clips they have out there of this that have gone wrong at Disney.