PDA

View Full Version : car rental question

Mary Chase
09-25-2011, 07:38 AM
We've only ever rented from car rental companies at MCO and then we only have rented for the entire stay and returned it to MCO. Is there a way to get a car for just one day at Disney without having to return it to the airport? How much of a hassle is it? Which car companies are available? What would be great is if I could pick up the car at MCO and return it somewhere on Disney property. I think I have heard about there being one on property - but not sure where it is or how much trouble it would be to do this.

Thanks!

mydisneygirls
09-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Alamo is on Disney property. I just got back and rented from them (out of Tampa). I was only going to rent the car for 2 days (going back and forth to airport), but it was CHEAPER to rent for the entire week. I got a full size car for $111. Look for coupon codes or try this one and see if it still works:

Alamo Insiders: 20% OFF + $40 OFF Weekly Rates

1. Click here to join the Insiders Club
2. 20% OFF + $40 OFF Weekly Rate Codes: 7015820 and AD4027JDO

You have to join Alamo Insiders but it's free and well worth the savings. Good luck!!!

Scar
09-25-2011, 10:39 AM
National and Alamo rent at The Dolphin and at the Car Care Center near the MK parking lot.

I've only used the the one at The Dolphin and it was very easy. No hassle at all. In fact at The Dolphin you can just drop it off with the valet and they will give you a receipt, no need to even go to the counter.

Tink#64
09-25-2011, 11:44 PM
We did this in reverse several years ago. I made arrangements prior to our trip to rent from Alamo at WDW's Car Care Center. After our weeks stay at WDW, a shuttle picked up us & our luggage at Pop & took us to the Car Care Ctr & we got our rental super fast, & were on our way to the beach for a few days. We were able to return the rental at MCO. Piece of cake! :thumbsup:

TheHD
09-26-2011, 02:26 PM
There is also an Avis rental car office in the Hilton at Downtown Disney that we used before. Pick-up and drop-off.

Mary Chase
09-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Thank you for your responses! I have looked into our options and have a few follow up questions.

1. If you rent from WDW Dolphin location, will they still come pick you up? Or is that only at the car care center? It seems cheapest to rent from the Dolphin location, but we may have issues getting to the Dolphin to pick it up if they don't have a shuttle.

2. If we rent from the car care center and want to go to the parks immediately after returning the car, is there a way to do that without having to shuttle back to our resort? Planning on going to AK after returning the car.

Thanks again for any responses!!

Pooh Fan
09-28-2011, 01:03 PM
The suggestion I would make that is somewhat related to this is keep checking prices as you get close to your arrival. I was just there Sep 18- 23 and months before my arrival the best price I could get for the duration of my trip was $170 from a rental location at the airport. This was more than I wanted to spend as I really only had to have the care for about two and a half days. I ended up reserving to pick up and drop off at the car care centre for the time I needed it. It came to just under $100. the week before I left I was able to reserve a car at MCO for my entire trip for $95 total. Fortunatley I had enough time to cancel my other reservation without penalty and I had a car for my whole trip!

Scar
09-28-2011, 03:03 PM
1. If you rent from WDW Dolphin location, will they still come pick you up? Or is that only at the car care center? It seems cheapest to rent from the Dolphin location, but we may have issues getting to the Dolphin to pick it up if they don't have a shuttle.I don't know... but, pick you up from where? If you're at a resort you could always bus to DHS and walk or boat to The Dolphin.

Main Street Jim
09-29-2011, 07:44 PM
If we rent from the car care center and want to go to the parks immediately after returning the car, is there a way to do that without having to shuttle back to our resort? Planning on going to AK after returning the car.Well, you wouldn't have to go back to *your* resort; I'm sure they could/would drop you off at the park (not sure what you're doing with your luggage at this point <?>). What I would do is call the rental desk *at* the Car Care Center and ask if they'll drop you off at a park. Can't hurt :) You may end up shuttling to AKL and then bus from there to AK.

Mary Chase
10-01-2011, 09:34 AM
The suggestion I would make that is somewhat related to this is keep checking prices as you get close to your arrival. I was just there Sep 18- 23 and months before my arrival the best price I could get for the duration of my trip was $170 from a rental location at the airport. This was more than I wanted to spend as I really only had to have the care for about two and a half days. I ended up reserving to pick up and drop off at the car care centre for the time I needed it. It came to just under $100. the week before I left I was able to reserve a car at MCO for my entire trip for $95 total. Fortunatley I had enough time to cancel my other reservation without penalty and I had a car for my whole trip!

Thanks for that tip! I might just try that.

Mary Chase
10-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Well, you wouldn't have to go back to *your* resort; I'm sure they could/would drop you off at the park (not sure what you're doing with your luggage at this point <?>). What I would do is call the rental desk *at* the Car Care Center and ask if they'll drop you off at a park. Can't hurt :) You may end up shuttling to AKL and then bus from there to AK.

Good point about going to any resort or see if they can drop off at the park. Our luggage would be at our resort - we only need the car for a day or so - and then will rely on Disney transportation from there. We just want to do a few things the first day we are there that we can't get transportation to.