PDA

View Full Version : Does Disney still have the "wow" factor?

Aurora
09-22-2011, 01:06 AM
A post on the thread about the "Avatar" announcement said this:

"For whatever reason, Disney just does not have the willingness, or ability to wow us anymore."

My first thought was the new "Magic, Memories and You" show projected on Cinderella Castle just before "Wishes." When I first read about what it would be, I thought, you've got to be kidding me. Then I saw it. Huge WOW.

Then I thought about riding POTC through Davy Jones' face, and popping virtual targets at Toy Story characters, and walking through the standby queue in Expedition Everest, and Soarin'.

Do you agree with the first thought -- that Disney can't wow us anymore? Or can you name other shows or attractions that you recently experienced and found yourself mouthing "wow"?

texas211
09-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Sure, I can show you my credit card bill after my vacation :)

DizneyRox
09-22-2011, 05:19 AM
Yeah, I agree... Last trip I got home and looked at our food costs and said, "WOW!" I was in awe!

I was doubly impressed that they seem to still not be able to sell a decent souvenir t-shirt. I couldn't believe it's been about 5 years since I spent any money on trinkets at and of the shops.

johnO
09-22-2011, 06:42 AM
I think they can definetly still "wow" us. Frankly, im unimpressed with the Avatar decision. Ive never even seen Avatar so perhaps that has something to do with me being unimpressed. I just feel that there are so many Disney Pictures that could have been used for the basis of a new "themed land" at the parks.

LVT
09-22-2011, 07:22 AM
I have been to WDW 6 times. I am still in awe enough times to wish for another trip. One does get used to repeated experiences and lose fear and awe, even dangerous stuff.
I am glad I still enjoy WDW. :secret:

micky95
09-22-2011, 07:34 AM
i'm still wowed by what disney has done but look at the entertainment business.no new ideas ,everything seems to be a remake.on tv ,charlies angels, hawaii 50. the movie remakes,foot loose,wild west and more.the last movie i say that had me totally wowed was the matrix,the first one.i looked at my wife after the movie and wondered if she was real.lol. so its not just disney everything seems to be in a lull.

retiredfigment
09-22-2011, 08:53 AM
With new technology, it is hard to WOW anybody with anything. I love Disney and am always WOWed when I am there when I think about its history, (To think it all began with a Mouse) appreciate it service, and enjoy the 'getting away' from it all. For those who consider how much it costs, the thread on how much it costs at the other parks was a real eye-opener. BTW, on our next trip, DD looked into going to US for one day. Figuring in round trip transportation to and from DW, one day ticket, and food it would have cost well over $250.

BrerGnat
09-22-2011, 09:40 AM
I was recently "wow"-ed by the Memories, Magic, and You show.

I was recently "wow"-ed by the new Little Mermaid dark ride at DCA.

I am so excited about the new Carsland at DCA that I'm having a hard time containing the "wow". :D Just from the looks of it in the construction phase, I *know* it's going to blow my socks off.

I'm pretty sure the Fantasyland Expansion is going to be another "wow".

I know Disney is still capable of mind blowing stuff.

Unfortunately, too often $$$ gets in the way, and they are not able to fully realize their potential. This is what has been happening in the past, but it seems like they are finally becoming more open to spending the money to do things right.

The Disney parks will always be a work in progress, as Walt intended. Some changes will be good, some bad, some neutral. However, I disagree with the idea that they are not capable of "wow"-ing us anymore. They are, but they need to be given the means to do so by upper management.

ValenciaCalling
09-22-2011, 09:40 AM

:funny:

Belster
09-22-2011, 09:54 AM
No I just cannot agree. Sorry. :0(

Ms. Mode
09-22-2011, 10:15 AM
YES! I love WDW and I'm what you call "Disney Poor" to prove it. It is what you make it! :thumbsup:

BeccaO
09-22-2011, 10:32 AM
They "wowed" me on my very 1st trip and still continue to "wow" me now after many many trips!!! I don't ever anticipate not being "wowed" because that's what Disney is all about and I think that is why I continue to want to go back year after year!!!

Mitzie
09-22-2011, 10:40 AM
My father has been taking me to Disney World since 1972. He always says that DW is not for children..only adults can truly appreciate all the work and technology that goes into everything. I am still wowed by the smallest details...I think to my self.."Who thought of that". For all those cast members past and present, who work hard everyday to 'Wow' us...Thank You...your efforts are not unappreciated.

minnie04
09-22-2011, 11:03 AM

That was Priceless :D !!!! great answer..

Oh yeah and I think what would really "WOW" me is if they turn the Speed Way into the theme of Cars...Not that they will,but I would love to say WOW!!! if they did.

Tigerinvestigator
09-22-2011, 12:24 PM
WDW NEVER FAILS TO WOW ME!!! I don't understand all the people freaking out about Avatar either. Did they see this movie?? EYE-POPPING movie. The possibilities are unreal with what imagineers can and WILL do with this project. I am excited and if no one else is then maybe the crowds will be lower and my family will have the parks all to ourselves! :thumbsup:

Belle1984
09-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Yea I have to say that I will always be wowwed by Disney parks. Grew up going to WDW and then moved to Los Angeles and now I know I could never be unimpressed because I go to Disneyland Resort almost every other month.
Will always appreciate the level of detail put into everything. This blows every other theme park out of the water for me. And that's while I will always be wowwed. And as for Avatar; I didn't love the movie but the visual beauty of it will make a great attraction. Just my opinion.

crltkcagle
09-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Absolutely! We sort of felt that way on this last trip but when we saw the Magic, Memories and you last week we were in awe! I think there are several things that we still have not done in Disney that have the wow factor. My husband who is a bigger disney fan than me actually said he is done with disney because its the same old same old. I told him there is so much we haven't done yet. We do the same rides and attractions year after year so that's why it seems old. I told him this year we would try new things. Our resort has all kinds of things to do that we haven't tried yet. So I think Disney will always have a wow factor but you just have to change it up a bit. :mickey:

Stu29573
09-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Yep Disney still has it. I'm not crazy about the Avatar idea, but AK never really "wowed" me anyway. I'm much more of a Magic Kingdom, Epcot kinda guy. Lots of "wow" there!

Goes4FastPass
09-22-2011, 01:57 PM
WDW can stil "wow" me but I think they are way too lazy about entertaining people who visit time and time again.

MSEP was a wow when it premiered. Today it's not a classic, it's simply tired. Spectromagic was the next generation of night time parade. It was a wow. So what followed it? The return of MSEP. No one said, "Wow". Even the music went from, "glimmering, shimmering carousseling" back to "dinka dink dink" That Electric Hoedown that was once new... and a wow.

Captain EO? Really? I could take WDW first timers to EPCOT and there are things that would wow them but I'd be simply embarrassed to take them to Captain EO when there are better 3D features showing at the local theaters at home.

WDW wants us to keep coming back. They want us to stay a week when we visit. They want us to buy DVC memberships so we commit to come back time and time again.

They need to keep wowing us.

I am looking forward to the new attractions at the MK and I am looking forward to Avatar attractions at WDW for several reasons but mainly because James Cameron wants to come to Disney Parks and do something new. And unlike Lassiter grinding out the tired on delivery Cars 2, Cameron will wow us.

Terra
09-22-2011, 04:22 PM
YES! I love WDW and I'm what you call "Disney Poor" to prove it. It is what you make it! :thumbsup:

All right, what is Disney poor?? :blush:

For me, living just 45 minutes from the magic and going for 10+ years at least every 1-2 months for a day or so...it totally has the WOW factor still!:mickey:

Call me dorky, corny, sentimental, crazy...but every time I walk through one of the park entrances something instantly happens to me...the cares of the real world are gone. I'm neck deep in fantasy, imagination, fun and memories. This became even more priceless with the birth of my sons and now watching their faces light up every time we go :)

EJS-Houston
09-22-2011, 04:42 PM
A post on the thread about the "Avatar" announcement said this:

"For whatever reason, Disney just does not have the willingness, or ability to wow us anymore."

My first thought was the new "Magic, Memories and You" show projected on Cinderella Castle just before "Wishes." When I first read about what it would be, I thought, you've got to be kidding me. Then I saw it. Huge WOW.

Then I thought about riding POTC through Davy Jones' face, and popping virtual targets at Toy Story characters, and walking through the standby queue in Expedition Everest, and Soarin'.

Do you agree with the first thought -- that Disney can't wow us anymore? Or can you name other shows or attractions that you recently experienced and found yourself mouthing "wow"?

In 2005 I returned to DisneyWorld for the first time in 10 years, and the WOW factor was hitting me right and left when I did Mission Space, Test Trak, Dinosaur and the entirety of the Animal Kingdom for the first time. Personally I don't think it's ever lost its WOW factor for me; that's why I keep going back.

eire
09-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Disney will never lose its WOW factor. My parents took us to WDW every 3 years when we were growing up. One of the highlights was always the Main Street Electrical Parade. Last summer, I had the chance to watch this parade alongside my parents, my siblings, and our children. When the music started, I got chills and glanced at my dad, who had tears in his eyes. Nope. The WOW factor is still there--- and we will be there in 2012, too!

TheVBs
09-23-2011, 08:09 AM
Disney has never failed to WOW us! We go every two years and each trip always seems even more magical than the last. We always go expecting to have a good time and we end up having a GREAT time. :mickey:

ransam
09-23-2011, 10:36 AM
I am WOWed every time i go. I'm 48, don't have much money, but still love the place, and everytime i leave i can't wait to go back....so for me, YES it has that wow factor.

wdwfansince75
09-23-2011, 12:26 PM
If you doubt the continuation of the WoW factor, check ribeyespud's threat, "Our 1st Time, and Only Trip to WDW" Every time I read it, I catch another WoW! Still does it for me after all these years...Of course, my glass is always more than half full.

minnie04
09-23-2011, 12:55 PM
:blush:

Call me dorky, corny, sentimental, crazy...but every time I walk through one of the park entrances something instantly happens to me...the cares of the real world are gone. I'm neck deep in fantasy, imagination, fun and memories. This became even more priceless with the birth of my sons and now watching their faces light up every time we go :)

I feel the same exact way!!:mickey:

Mousemates
09-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Can they still do the big "Wow," yes they can when they set out to do it. however, they do have some "wow issues."

For example, EE, with the giant yeti, was a wow to be sure, but the mechanical issues have watered down his Wow quite a bit.

MissionSpace was a wow also, but the unintended nausea issues which affect so many of the riders and put them on the "tame side" takes much of the Wow away here as well.

We had hoped for a Wow when we initially heard of the Spacemountian refurb (especially since we had recently visited DL) but the WOW did not happen.

We are hopeful for WOWs with the coming of both the Fantasyland expansion and the Avatar thing...WOWs are fun when they happen...especially when they are well thought out and Disney is committed to keeping them up and running.

However, truth be told we don't go so much to WDW with the expectation of having a mind-bending wow anymore...we go for the ambiance, convenience, relatively good service, abundance of recreational & amusement options, and a whole lot of nostalgia. We have built up a treasure trove of memories there over the years and its actually the only vacation spot we repeat with any regularity. its a place where we have lots of memories and are very, very relaxed and comfortable being at. (its fits us like an old pair of shoes) I guess for us the WOW of WDW is less about rides than it used to be.

TheHD
09-23-2011, 09:13 PM
However, truth be told we don't go so much to WDW with the expectation of having a mind-bending wow anymore...we go for the ambiance, convenience, relatively good service, abundance of recreational & amusement options, and a whole lot of nostalgia. We have built up a treasure trove of memories there over the years and its actually the only vacation spot we repeat with any regularity. its a place where we have lots of memories and are very, very relaxed and comfortable being at. (its fits us like an old pair of shoes) I guess for us the WOW of WDW is less about rides than it used to be.

Well said. I couldn't agree more. This is exactly how my family and I feel about DW.

Daisy'sMom
09-24-2011, 01:20 PM
I kind of feel bad for the people that can't be wowed. Is it lack of imagination, is it laziness or what? We argue with one of our sons about this all the time. His generation does not stimulate their own imagination, they want it done for them. We just got back from our family get together at Disney and it was the best yet. Going over for the wine and food fest in a few weeks and just booked for a few days in Dec.
We see something new each time and take the time to use our imaginations. Guess I would say DISNEY DOES CONTINUE TO WOW US!:mickey:

Mousemates
09-24-2011, 08:06 PM
I kind of feel bad for the people that can't be wowed. Is it lack of imagination, is it laziness or what?

Sometimes it is none of the above. I know quite a few imaginative and highly motivated people who simply don't enjoy the Disney scene. Many are people who prefer a different type of vacation experience...say hiking in the Smokies/Rockies, going to a place where instead of encountering the masses you completely avoid them, or simply having a vacation where nothing has to be planned out ahead of time in order to "see everything."

Some are put off by the constant "branding and marketing" that takes place there. (For example, while hardcore disneyers enjoy things like hidden mickeys (my faves are at the AKL and MickeyPhilhamagic), some folks negatively view them as being akin to the old "eat popcorn" frames that used to flash by at the speed of light at drive-in movies).

Not being wowed by Disney doesn't really mean anything except that Disney isn't your cup of tea.

Originally Posted by Daisy'sMom
We argue with one of our sons about this all the time. His generation does not stimulate their own imagination, they want it done for them.

We too have a son (17) who is kind of tired of WDW and a daughter (19) who lives and sleeps WDW...so I don't really think its a generation thing, just personal preferences. For example,while oru daughter jumps at the chance to go anytime...when we gave him the option of a weekend at WDW for fall break or a weekend at the beach...he chose the beach and when I asked why he said, "I run all the time with school and soccer and am just at a place where I would rather use my vacation to take it easy." I can't really find a reason to argue with him over that. Its just one of those things where preferences differ. To each his own. :)

Main Street Jim
09-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Does it still "wow" me? Sure.

Illuminations gets to me *every time* I see it - and we would go 4-5 times a week.

MSEP?

MSEP was a wow when it premiered. Today it's not a classic, it's simply tired. To me, it *is* a classic. This is the first Disney parade *that I can remember seeing* from the late '70s.

Spectromagic was the next generation of night time parade. It was a wow. Me? Not when I saw it for the first time in 1995. It was kinda "ehh".

So what followed it? The return of MSEP. No one said, "Wow". Wanna bet? When MSEP came back (the first time) in 1999, I *had* to take my kids to see the "parade that I grew up with". They were 10, 7, and 2 at the time. They fell in *love* with MSEP. Every chance we got, we went back to MK, specifically to see MSEP, even on nights after I got off work and made the 70-mile trip over from Melbourne. We musta seen MSEP a hundred times between 1999 and 2001, on its "Farewell" tour (or so we thought).

Even the music went from, "glimmering, shimmering carousseling" back to "dinka dink dink" That Electric Hoedown that was once new... and a wow. Your opinion, simply put, differs from mine :) Now, I've taken my granddaughter twice to see MSEP. My daughter, who's now 22, had tears in her eyes - as I did - when she saw that MSEP was *back*. Spectro just doesn't "do it" for me.

About the souvenir thing: I thoroughly - and completely - agree. Every shop used to sell their own unique (different) stuff that you couldn't find *anywhere else*. Now, it seems like all the "shops" all sell the exact same stuff - even stuff you can get at the Emporium or MouseGear, you can find at World of Disney. Just no "uniqueness" to the souvenirs any more. Same way with pins any more, too.

When the maintenance and stuff started dropping off in the early to mid '80s, you could definitely tell the difference, even as an early teens kid. Stuff used to get repainted *every night* if it needed it; light bulbs were replaced *every night*; each ride, show, shop, restaurant had its own dedicated mechanics and maintenance. Now, it's one set of maintenance guys/girls for an entire side of the park. :-\

I will say that I'm not thrilled with the whole "Avatar" thing. Yes, I saw the movie, and don't see the "attraction" in it (pun intended). In fact, I've seen the movie more than I would like (roommates :-\) (only actually watched it through entirely once or twice). This thing doesn't deserve an entire whole LAND for it, let alone an attraction. I just don't see the "Disney" connection since Disney didn't have *anything* to do with it to begin with.

For example, EE, with the giant yeti, was a wow to be sure, but the mechanical issues have watered down his Wow quite a bit.
Mission: Space was a wow also, but the unintended nausea issues which affect so many of the riders and put them on the "tame side" takes much of the Wow away here as well.
We had hoped for a Wow when we initially heard of the Space Mountain refurb (especially since we had recently visited DL) but the WOW did not happen....which is why *I* think that some things need an extended testing period. There was no way for Imagineering to know that the Yeti wouldn't work out long-term, or that maybe when M: S opened, there should have been a "non-nauseating" side to begin with. As far as the Space Mountain refurb goes, well...I wish I had been back on Intercot long before now, coulda told y'all what all was going on :)

Captain EO? Really? I could take WDW first timers to EPCOT and there are things that would wow them but I'd be simply embarrassed to take them to Captain EO when there are better 3D features showing at the local theaters at home.You also have to remember that in 1986, the technology for 3D that was available then was "cutting edge". Today, you have 3D video-game players (Nintendo DS3D) and 3D TV's for home. The only thing they did to the Captain EO film was "clean it up", and that's clearly stated in the preshow. If I was taking "first timers" to EPCOT and Captain EO, I'd clearly explain this to them :)

Now, on the other hand:

However, truth be told we don't go so much to WDW with the expectation of having a mind-bending wow anymore...we go for the ambiance, convenience, relatively good service, abundance of recreational & amusement options, and a whole lot of nostalgia. We have built up a treasure trove of memories there over the years and its actually the only vacation spot we repeat with any regularity. its a place where we have lots of memories and are very, very relaxed and comfortable being at. (its fits us like an old pair of shoes) I guess for us the WOW of WDW is less about rides than it used to be. I TOTALLY agree with this guy ;) And if you're only getting "relatively good" service", I'd say write to Guest Relations :) It *is* Disney, after all, and you should expect "GREAT* service :)

Why *do* I keep going back/work there for almost ten years? Hard to say. I *love* seeing people smile. I *love* helping people. I *love* Disney movies :) I *love* the Disney experience. There's just *something* about being there. :magic:

MrPeetrie
09-25-2011, 12:49 PM
I don't understand all the people freaking out about Avatar either. Did they see this movie?? EYE-POPPING movie. The possibilities are unreal with what imagineers can and WILL do with this project.

I couldn't agree more here. I think the collaboration between Disney and Cameron is going to be amazing.

At first, I wondered why Animal Kingdom? Why not Hollywood Studios? But I remembered Disney intended there to be a Beastly Kingdoms, full of mythical creatures, in AK's original design. This is a nice "plussed" idea of that. So I'm excited, too!!!

Disney still wows me jus by effectively managing a workforce of 35,000 that never fails to impress. Kudos to all cast members, imagineers, and those associated with the theme parks. You are the real stars and the reason Disney shines.

Main Street Jim
09-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Disney still wows me jus by effectively managing a workforce of 35,000 that never fails to impressYou missed the number - by about 30,000 :) Yes, WDW is the largest single-site employer in the world, with 65,000 Cast Members. That includes full- and part-time, seasonal, salaried managers and executives, Imagineering, DCL (which, as I understand, is "attached" to the WDW resort), College Program, and International College Program.

But yeah...it really takes a LOT of effort to keep all 65,000 working together. ;)

TheVBs
10-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Just had to report that we were WOW-ed many times on this last trip. Just to name a few...

Boo To You parade
Halloween fireworks
Memories projection show
Lights Motors Action show (super wow!)
Fantasmic
Lion King show in AK (even though it wasn't the first time we saw it)
Little Mermaid Show
Food and Wine Festival
Haunted Carriage ride at Ft. Wilderness

:mickey: WDW has still got it as far as we're concerned. ;)

Faver
10-28-2011, 08:59 AM
I've NEVER stopped being WOWED!!! :mickey:

c&d
10-28-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm still Wowed sometimes by the rides we've ridden a million times and other times by trying out new things (surfing lessons, parasailling, fishing). The Wow and the magic will always be there for me.

MrPeetrie
10-28-2011, 02:05 PM
We just got back and I am still "wow-ed" by the amazing job done by CMs. I was blown away with their fantastic customer service.

darthmacho
10-28-2011, 03:02 PM
While they don't always go in directions I'd prefer, as is the case with Avatar, the watering down of merchandise, and a few other things, but I think Disney, and in particular WDW, still gives me the feeling of "Wow! I can't believe a place this wonderful really exists!" :mickey: