PDA

View Full Version : Dsnygirl's "Hot, hot, HOT!!" trip report - part 7

Dsnygirl
09-21-2011, 04:50 AM
Wednesday, August 24

Today, my DH was up early to go play some golf... he got a GREAT deal at Magnolia due to some unplayable greens at Oak Trail, and was thrilled, to say the least! :)

The girls and I were thus off on our own to AK... in no great rush, either... we were still a bit tired! We stopped to see It's Tough to be a Bug, then headed to Dinosaur and rode it twice, the lines were so short. Bonus!! From there, we decided to see if we could get on Kali... and stopped on our way to get FP's for EE for later, after my DH arrived. Kali's FP's were gone, so we chose to wait... the sign said 60 minutes, but thankfully, it was only about 20... nice!! And we actually enjoyed being in the "real" line... we've FP'd Kali so many times over the years, we'd totally forgotten how lovely the theming of the queue is! We had a great ride down the rapids and managed to avoid getting completely soaked, so that was good!

After Kali, we opted for some slushies at the Tea House... the girls got strawberry and lemon, I tried the mango. Not bad, and we all shared. Mmmm. While we were relaxing, my DH texted to say he was arriving, so we waited there for him, and then he and the girls ran off to ride EE. (I let him use my FP, wasn't really feeling the need to challenge the Yeti today...)

When they got back, we did the Maharajah Jungle Trek... I knew it would be hot in the middle of the day, but I just HAD to see my tigers. We'd missed them last trip, and I didn't want to miss them again! And they didn't disappoint... they were playful and funny, splashing through the water, rolling down the hills... totally delightful. :cloud9:

Afterwards we opted for lunch at the Yak & Yeti... totally not in the plan, but it smelled great and we were all hungry... and the skies were looking rather threatening, as well. A friend of ours from home who was visiting met us there, too, and we all had a nice lunch together, catching up and talking about our trips. We're so used to seeing friends from across the country -- it was kind of odd to see friends from home! But fun. And we were right about the weather... the skies opened up while we ate and it POURED... just crazy rain, almost sideways!! We were VERY thankful we'd chosen to stay put and eat.

Once the rain let up, we made a quick trek out of the park and decided to head back to CBR for some pool time, and I HAD to get after some laundry. :laundry:

It was while we were doing this that my DH had the weirdest thing happen to him... we were staying in Jamaica at CBR, so we always cross over Castaway Cay to get to OPR. The girls swam for a bit at the quiet pool while I did laundry, but eventually wanted the bigger pool, and my DH wallked them over there, and then came back to give me a hand. Now, on our walks over CC during the week, we'd noticed some very friendly squirrels on our way... they would run along the railings with you, occasionally stopping to watch you, or beg. They looked like maybe they were used to being fed? Well... on my DH's way back from the pool at OPR, one of these squirrels was running along with him, and stopped on a railing post to look at him. So, my DH stopped as well, and crouched down to take a picture - and the squirrel jumped on his face!! Made a big scratch right down his nose, bad enough that it was really bleeding by the time he got back to the quiet pool!! I don't think he really realized what had happened at first... it was just too crazy! He went back to the room and cleaned off the scratch, and we proceeded to tell one of the managers over at OPR about it, just so they would be aware if it happened again, and maybe so they could post signs warning people not to feed the squirrels, or at least to be wary of them. I made my way over to OPR to find the girls while he fixed up his nose, and when he got back to us, he was sporting a great Phineas & Ferb bandaid... :D

With that craziness out of the way and fixed up, we let the girls swim for awhile, and then went back to the room to shower and get dressed up a bit. We were headed to the California Grill for some appetizers and dessert, something I was REALLY looking forward to!

We had such a great evening there... we'd never been, and our waitress was fantastic. I knew it was a bit out of the ordinary for us to not be getting a full meal, but she didn't mind in the least, and was especially sweet to Julia, who'd chosen to wear her "Happy Birthday" pin for the evening. (Her b'day was coming up on Friday, and although we'd told her to enjoy wearing her pin all week, she'd wanted to just wear it once in awhile.) Well, our waitress had the chef "fancy up" her dessert, and it was so nice! We LOVED seeing MK from up on the observation deck, and Wishes was just beautiful... I hope we get the chance to do it again someday.

It was a great night, and the perfect end to a bit of a crazy day... and we all went back to our room happy and ready for a night of rest.

Link to part 8 - http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=2210049#post2210049

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Sounds like a great day,thanks for the report.Yes squirrels actually can carry rabies so be careful around them.

faline
09-21-2011, 08:26 AM
To be honest, I'd probably call my doc if I'd had such an encounter with a squirrel! As noted, they can carry rabies and are, in essence, a wild animal.

Lucky you got to see the tigers romping! I keep hoping to see them playing in the water. The best I've been able to do is to see one standing in the water. Usually, they are stretched out and sleeping somewhere along one of the walls!

Great timing with your lunch! You got to enjoy a great lunch and avoid the bad weather!

K8screen
09-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Just what I was about to say about the squirrles. I am surprised the CM you told didnt insist your DH got medical attention, but maybe he did check that your husbands rabies and tetanus shots were up to date and you just didnt mention it.;)

Jennifer_and_Chris
09-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Crazy squirrels... Chipmunks would never act like that! :chipdale:

pdrlkr
09-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: