PDA

View Full Version : Can I pout for a moment? Horrible first vacation

Jessie
09-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Our family of five took our first vacation both as a family and to WDW. We arrived on 9/10 and 9/11 was my oldest's birthday and our first day in the parks. That night she got sick with a stomach bug. It then proceeded to domino its way through all of the kids plus DH and then finally me. Since we had to check out on the 14th, we were stuck driving while someone was sick.

I was/am the only driver so the day it was me was horrible. My kids got to spend only 4 hours in the parks, total. I didn't get to see them see Mickey :(. My poor DD1 got sick on her birthday. We basically all cried at some point.

I am actually pretty heartbroken over all of this. We had been building up this trip so much and more than once heard - "this is the worst vacation ever" from my sick and sad kids.

I ended up getting pulled over for speeding during all of this (totally my fault) during which my scared 6 year old said while crying - "I'm too young to go to jail!". All three kids screamed and cried despite us doing our best to calm them down.

The night we got home we had to take our 18 mo old to the ER because he was just inconsolably crying that I was so worried.

We've been home about 3.5 full days now and I just want to crawl into a ball and cry.

So, that is how our first family WDW experience went. I plan for us to go again Jan 2013. I hope that's enough distance away that the little ones aren't nervous to go again.

Also, during this time I'm going to work on getting over my fear of flying so that we can fly down. I will not do anymore road trips.

Thanks for listening to me whine and pout.

DizneyRox
09-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I drove once... Never again, 2 1/2 hours vs 20+? I pick whichever way gets me to my destination faster.

DVC2004
09-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Wow, I am so sorry! It certianly sounds like anything that could go wrong, did. You're not whining. That would be bad to happen on any vacation but most especially your first.

I don't know if this makes you feel any better, but on our 2nd vacation and also was the 2nd trip to Disney me and both kids got violently ill during the trip. I'm talking high fevers, chills, vomiting and more. You can imagine. Only my husband was the only one unscathed but still had to take one kid somewhere alone while two of us were sick. Housekeeping had to come in the middle of the night to change out the bed my son got sick on. We all were so sick at different times a good portion of the trip was spent in bed. The valet at the hotel even argued with my husband when he was trying to get my son quickly out of the car- and he didn't get him out in time. :sick: What a trip. We also drove and were rear ended the first day on the way down and the following day my husband got a speeding ticket.

Anyway, my sympathies are with you and the disaster. I think your next trip will be great- the kids a little older, and yes flying is for sure the way to go. If you are scared, see your doctor. They can give you things to relax you. Good luck.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Oh that's horrible...I am so sorry for you.

deedeebee
09-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Wow, I am so sorry to hear about a trip of any kind being that hard. That said, we fly! No driving over 8 hours. When our kids were young, 2, 3 and 4, we had a trip or two that went bad, very bad. Time will ease your pain.:) We just got back about 6 weeks ago, such a difference, the kids are now 13, 14 and 15. They are Disney pros.:mickey: I had my doubts, now those trips are just one of those stories everyone tells. Feel better, and you will all be ready to go back in 2013, FLY.:fworks:

Madame Leona
09-20-2011, 03:56 PM
We had a trip like that a couple of years ago. My son (3) at the time broke his leg before we left then we all had the flu over the 4 days we were there. Horrible to say the least. After a good trip, we were finally able to laugh about the whole thing.

Please tell me the officer was kind enough to let you off with a warning.

MNNHFLTX
09-20-2011, 04:03 PM
I am so sorry for the misfortune! I can imagine how disappointed you all were, not to mention how miserable it is to get a stomach virus on vacation. :(

I think time and a positive attitude on you and your husband's part will go a long way towards helping the kids forget the bad parts of this vacation (that and it sounds like some of them are so young that they will probably not remember or at least will not remember much). Who knows, maybe someday you'll even be able to laugh a little at some of the memories (forgive me, but I did get a little chuckle over the 6-year-old saying she was too young to go to jail--poor little thing!)

I think flying next time sounds like the way to go--you'll all arrive much better-rested. Just make sure and eat well, get lots of sleep and take some Vitamin C a couple of weeks before you leave and hopefully no one will get sick!

MNNHFLTX
09-20-2011, 04:08 PM
I was going to add that you should try and get some extra rest yourself right now. You're probably still suffering the after-effects of the virus. It's no wonder you feel like crying. :hug:

minnie04
09-20-2011, 04:10 PM
WOW!! so sorry to hear that your trip was so bad. You just never know with timing on illness :ill: poor kids and you of course, I hope your next trip will turn out perfect :mickey:

SBETigg
09-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Oh my goodness! I'm so sad for you all. I'm sorry things didn't go well for you.

Jennifer_and_Chris
09-20-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm so sorry that your first trip was this (bad) eventful.

I think we all had that one trip that made us say never again. But, here we all are... going again and again.

Our trip was when I was prego w/ DD2 and DD1 was just turning 2 years old. We had the opposite feeling about transportation. I think she was so out of her routine and element that she cried over everything. There were days DH and I didn't want to leave the room. We had the grand dream of how it would be our last visit with just the 3 of us before the 2nd child came and we spent a night in urgent care because she wouldn't stop crying.

But, the worst part for us was the plane ride home. She cried the whole time, kicked the seat (por lady in front of us) the whole time. We were "that family" on the plane. 2.5 hours of pure torture for us and everyone confined to the plane.

We vowed never again will be fly until the kids are old enough to pack their own bag, carry it into the car and through an airport. We have driven since 2008 and we actually love to drive! If the kids feel like having a meltdown, only DH and I have to listen to it!

Believe me, you're kids will have sickness "amnesia" as they grow and hear all the things about Disney world that you'll brainwash them with! :D

I think it's your excitement and positive energy that will get them excited about anything... not just a trip to disney.

In the meantime, rest, sleep, wash the sickies off you and get back to livin'!!! :thumbsup: Hope you all feel better.

emerzmom
09-20-2011, 05:39 PM
So sorry.

faline
09-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Oh dear! I don't think I've read such a sad trip report before! You must all be so disappointed! What lousy timing - to have a bug run through our entire family while you're supposed to be having fun and new experiences!

If anyone deserves a do-over, you certainly do!!

BrowncatP
09-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Oh, so sorry to hear that your trip was bad. Time does heal all. A number of years ago, my husband and I were going to go to Universal's IOA after breakfast. Luckly there was a light rain that morning. We decided to skip IOA until the next day. We went back to the room to figure what to do in Orlando. Thank goodness it rained. After getting back to the room, "toilet fever" hit me. I was sick for most of the day. You just never know when the body will not cooperate with your mind!

dnickels
09-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Oh gosh, sounds like a Murphy's Law vacation where anything that could go wrong did. Sorry it was so rough, get some rest and hope everyone is feeling better!

From now on, every time I read another "My vacation was ruined because.....
-a cast member made a sarcastic comment
-the bus driver made us wait
-we couldn't check into the room until 4 pm
-(insert minor inconvenience here)
I'm going to be so tempted to link them to your post! :thedolls:

Kairi_7378
09-20-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm so sorry to read this!

Melanie
09-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Oh my goodness, how heartbreaking! I'm so sad for you all. :(

I am SURE that your next trip will be FULL of magic! :magic:

Jodi
09-20-2011, 10:40 PM
I can sympathize with you entirely. Two years ago, my DH who is diabetic had issues with his blood sugars during our vacation to WDW, ended up in ER twice while we were there, once via ambulance, the other by car....really put a damper on our vacation considering this did not need to happen, just that he will not take advice from others, even teenage DD who is also diabetic. Soooo, we decided to go back this year only to have DH make himself sick worrying IF he would get sick, which set off DD2 in a worry frenzy, oh, no not again!! She made herself sick with worry...each day I wondered who would get sick next. Day before we were to head home, in line for Splash Mtn, DD1 throws up...just not a way to spend a vacation, worrying the entire time....I seriously want a DO OVER!!!!

MinnieMommie
09-20-2011, 11:35 PM
I am so sorry that you were all too sick to enjoy your vacation. There is nothing worse than a stomach bug going through the family! This has happened to us but never at Disney. Wow! You are a trouper and a great mom to hold things together the way you did!

Get plenty of rest and load up on fluids. Once you get your strength back you can start planning for 2013. That will be something nice to look forward to. Be well and remember to take care of yourself! :mickey:

Dsnygirl
09-21-2011, 03:19 AM
Oh wow, I am so sorry to hear your first trip went the way that it did... that is just awful!! You (and your kids & DH) definitely deserve a do-over... I hope your plans for 2013 come through, and that it is as magical as this one wasn't! Sending pixie dust your way that you all feel better soon and can find some good memories out of it all... :pixie: :pixie:

princessgirls
09-21-2011, 11:23 AM
I feel awful for all of you. That was the saddest trip report...:ill: First of all, it is no fun being sick, then to be sick away from home is really awful.

You deserve a do-over. I hope you'll start planning another trip soon!!

Hope everyone is back to health!
Julie:mickey:

Mousemates
09-21-2011, 11:55 AM
wow...that sounds so sad...not sure what to say other than "Get well soon" and I'm so sorry you had such a rough go of it. We've had a few trips where one or two of us got sick and had to go to either the ER or a walk-in clinic for anti-biotics, but never one where illness picked us all off.

BrerGnat
09-21-2011, 11:57 AM
I can totally relate x3!

It really can ruin a vacation when someone gets sick. My past THREE WDW trips have been clouded by illness (first me, second trip my husband, and last one, my sister). It really can ruin everything. I'm so sorry your first trip went this way.

Luckily, your kids are little. The memory of this will pass, and next time, things will be better (hopefully!). Unfortunately, illness on vacation is something you can never really anticipate, but I'm sure you learned some things this time around that will make the situation easier if it happens again.

I hope you all feel better soon and I'm happy to see you are already planning a return trip in a couple years! :thumbsup:

wildernesslady
09-21-2011, 01:29 PM
So sorry that happened. I'm glad you are already considering another trip. You deserve it. I would still be pouting if I were you.

Jessie
09-21-2011, 02:37 PM
You are all so wonderful. Thank you so much for the sympathy and commiseration. I'm feeling much better physically. Still pretty bummed about what happened, but looking forward to our do-over.

I did think it was pathetically cute when my 6 year old said she was too young to go to jail, but I was also quietly sobbing in the front seat over the whole thing while waiting for the officer to come back with my ticket.

The first night of this whole affair was pretty bad because we were staying off site and when we called down to the front desk to get more bed linens, they sent them up, but gave me nothing to clean with. So, wet bed, smelly, just :sick::sick:.

I will say though, Disney was amazing in helping us out. I went into the park the day after my oldest got sick to find out about any possible refunds for unused tickets. They gave us our money back for three MNSSHP tickets we had purchased (and wouldn't be able to attend) as well as putting the remaining ticket amounts on a gift card for us to use. THEN, they went above and beyond and gave us 4 two day tickets for when we come back. Yet again I cried at City Hall in MK when the gentleman did that for me. So :mickey::thumbsup: for Disney.

Mammabruski
09-21-2011, 03:31 PM
What a bummer! :(

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-21-2011, 03:34 PM
You are all so wonderful. Thank you so much for the sympathy and commiseration. I'm feeling much better physically. Still pretty bummed about what happened, but looking forward to our do-over.

I did think it was pathetically cute when my 6 year old said she was too young to go to jail, but I was also quietly sobbing in the front seat over the whole thing while waiting for the officer to come back with my ticket.

The first night of this whole affair was pretty bad because we were staying off site and when we called down to the front desk to get more bed linens, they sent them up, but gave me nothing to clean with. So, wet bed, smelly, just :sick::sick:.

I will say though, Disney was amazing in helping us out. I went into the park the day after my oldest got sick to find out about any possible refunds for unused tickets. They gave us our money back for three MNSSHP tickets we had purchased (and wouldn't be able to attend) as well as putting the remaining ticket amounts on a gift card for us to use. THEN, they went above and beyond and gave us 4 two day tickets for when we come back. Yet again I cried at City Hall in MK when the gentleman did that for me. So :mickey::thumbsup: for Disney.

Glad to hear the mouse do the right thing:mickey:

Janmac
09-21-2011, 05:13 PM
You know, the next trip almost has to be better, as bad as this one was. And your kids probably won't remember - except maybe the 6 yr old. Hopefully she's not the drama queen that my sister's 7 yr old granddaughter is. :D

Touch wood, every trip only one of our group has gotten sick. We bring at least one 12 pk of ginger ale with us to the resort now, because of that.

That's great that Disney was so good about your tickets. You've got a head start on your next trip. :thumbsup:

Jan

Joannelet
09-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Your next trip has to be better! I am so happy Disney helped you out and gave you something for your next trip. One day you will be able to look back at the moment your daughter cried about being too young to go to jail and all laugh about it. So for your next trip load up on vitamin c before you go and enjoy! Glad you are feeling better and everyone is on the mend!

Jennifer_and_Chris
09-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Boy, when Disney makes it right, they really make it right.

While you didn't feel the magic while you where there, you've got and IOU for magic next time!

P.S I would have been sobbing in City Hall too!

MinnieMommie
09-23-2011, 05:45 AM

Nice silver lining! What a good start to your 2013 planning. :thumbsup:

Melanie
09-23-2011, 08:22 AM

Love hearing this! You all will have a wonderful return vacation. I'm sure of it! :mickey:

Katzateer
09-24-2011, 09:49 AM
So sorry you had the horrible trip. We have had a few like that and when you or family members are ill I can understand your frustration. We have even brought our youngest home on crutches one year!

Hope your next trip to WDW is full of Pixie Dust and everyone is well!

Mackflava99
09-26-2011, 12:06 PM
I am so sorry to hear about this-
all the planning we can't stop things like this from happening.
Next time will be better...

Tigerinvestigator
09-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Wow so sorry for your dissappointment. We have experienced illnesses over the years as well while at WDW. I agree start hydrating, vitamin C, and all other preventive measures a couple weeks before leaving. I would make another suggestion for your next trip as well. Stay on property at a Disney resort. We have said more than once it is better to be sick at WDW than healthy at home! Staying on property allows the part of the family that is not sick to enjoy the magic 24hrs a day, and Disney has a way of making things right.:thumbsup:

Aurora
09-29-2011, 08:12 AM
So sorry about your trip, but while I was reading I thought, there must be something Disney can do for you. Then I read further and was very happy to see that they did!

It's so disappointing when things go wrong. Our vacations where one of our members HASN'T had to visit that nice urgent-care center on World Center Drive are in the minority. We've had to deal with injuries as well as sickness on almost every trip. But WDW is still there for us to go back to!

Keep planning that next vacation!

Wolf
09-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Omg *hugs* I'm so sorry you had such a terrible first trip...Our first trip for my birthday in 07 or 08 ( I cant remember exactly) in January of one of those years I got violently ill...We took a bus from Pop Century to Magic Kingdom then we monorailed to Polynessian and then part way thru dinner the "Ugh I hate flying stomach ache" turned into me running thru the resturant to become intimately acquainted with the Poly's bathroom...I didn't get to keep anything down from that meal and when we monorailed back to MK after dinner I had to sit in the floor against my mom's legs cause looking out the window was making me woozy...To make matters worse I had to stop and be sick another time and couldn't locate a bathroom so took off running to the farthest shrub away from the general population...I was crying (at age 21 at this point, mind you) that "Walt was going to hate me for throwing up in his shrub outside of the happiest place on earth.." It was a awful trip all around, cause I just hardly couldn't ever shake it...I felt God-awful about the whole thing for years until last Jan when me and Mom went back and I saw a little girl being sick in my same bush with her parents looking at a complete loss as to what to do..I hate so bad yall were sick but on the upside yall survived and when you go back you will be seeing the park for the first time all over again! Wishing you lots of disney magic and happy healing <3

January-2007
09-30-2011, 10:19 PM
So sorry your trip wasn't a dream come true. Hope you are able to enjoy your next one a lot more.

Hull-onian
10-01-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm really sorry to learn of your Disney trip. I know that from Massachusetts, it's a loong drive and specially with kids. Next time, book Jet Blue, they give the best travel experience, I think of all the airlines. If you book through, Magical Journeys, you will get a room discount, get all your luggage tags for the Disney Express Bus (which is free) and Disney puts your luggage in your room. So you don't have to worry about your luggage. The bus trip to WDW is totally wonderful, and everyone is engaged in activites. Now to me, when I took my GD for the first time ever, for her, the last night, I got extremely sick :sick: we barely made it to our plane, I used the bathroom on the plane, and I will not give you details, that being said, I was so sick, I didn't think I would make it home, really. Whatever I had, it took me two days to recoup. Other than that, we had a great trip.